Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222627 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »
Probably the ones in natural store move quicker

Hummus came out pretty good. Glad I only used two cloves of garlic! I think I would use less tahini next time too. But it won't go to waste.
Definitely!

Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2016, 10:31:40 PM »
Made Japanese rice 4 minutes and nr came out perfectly.  2 cups rice to 2.3 cups water. Rinsed about 4 times begore cooking. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #322 on: September 24, 2016, 07:54:30 AM »
I had some grains and beans soaking overnight. They will be cooked today!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #323 on: September 24, 2016, 07:38:36 PM »
Saw pie pumpkins in the store and thought this could be good too.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #324 on: September 24, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »
Saw pie pumpkins in the store and thought this could be good too.
IP pumpkin pie? :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:56 PM »
Has anyone seen this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Accu-SV800-Circulator/dp/B01JNKEMH4

For sous vide with the IP... it's a lightning deal right now, but it still costs more than the IP did when I bought it! I am intrigued, though...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #326 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »
It produces "restaurant quality" and is especially good for "tougher and lower grade meat". I wonder what restaurants they are thinking of here.

Anyway, I don't think I need it. What is attractive to you?

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »
It produces "restaurant quality" and is especially good for "tougher and lower grade meat". I wonder what restaurants they are thinking of here.

Anyway, I don't think I need it. What is attractive to you?

Probably the celebrated restaurants of the notable chefs mentioned here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

I've read about this method, and everything I have read makes it sound like a great way to prepare meats and vegetables, but I didn't want to buy an even more expensive standalone machine in order to try it. I'm always interested in cooking gadgets and new ways to prepare things.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #328 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
I see lots of Sous Vide on cooking shows, but as a vegetarian, nothing that i could use :D

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #329 on: September 27, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
Has anyone seen this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Accu-SV800-Circulator/dp/B01JNKEMH4

For sous vide with the IP... it's a lightning deal right now, but it still costs more than the IP did when I bought it! I am intrigued, though...

You'd probably also want to get a vacuum sealer to use with it, so you'd have to figure that into the cost. I'm with you on being intrigued by sous vide though, I never make steak at home because I just can't get it right. (BBQ grills aren't allowed in our apartment complex unless you want to cook in the parking lot)

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #330 on: September 27, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
You'd probably also want to get a vacuum sealer to use with it, so you'd have to figure that into the cost. I'm with you on being intrigued by sous vide though, I never make steak at home because I just can't get it right. (BBQ grills aren't allowed in our apartment complex unless you want to cook in the parking lot)

I know I had a vacuum sealer at one point, but can't remember if I still have it.  It was several residences (and one country) ago, so my guess is that it's gone.  Given the amount of food I make and freeze anyway, I could justify a purchase of a new one, most likely :d

Who knows, maybe I will put it on my holiday gift list and SO will surprise me :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »
In about 90 minutes today, I made lentil stew, potato leek soup and then sassy sesame tofu. IP FTW!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
I was getting worried about nobody posting in this thread anymore...  I always feel like you are doing my homework and I can just relax and look at your recipes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #333 on: October 02, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
I am making yogurt now! IP working over time today :D

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Meri is kicking ass with her IP!

Potato leek soup sounds divine!

On, Wisconsin

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:04 PM »
I just haven't been cooking much the past couple weeks. Will probably do tomato soup in the ip in a bit though

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »
Meri is kicking ass with her IP!

Potato leek soup sounds divine!
DH's favorite!

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #337 on: October 02, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »
Is there a specific recipe you use for the potato-leek soup?
Or do you make it up as you go?
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #338 on: October 02, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »
I made it up :D saute leeks, add potatoes and broth, cook until potatoes are soft, blend til creamy, season as needed and enjoy! :D

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
I've not been making much besides yogurt which I have down. I like mine really thick so get less yield. But that is OK, I love love love how it comes out.

I did make some chicken and turkey stock in there, and now the plastic ring smells like it. I tried soaking it for a long while in dish soap and baking soda but still smell it. But I remove it to make yogurt ever since someone posted they had to throw out a whole batch so won't have that happen.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

+-SUPPORT US