Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222664 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2016, 01:51:59 PM »
Has anyone just tried dumping probiotic capsules in to their milk instead of the yogurt starter?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
You can buy freeze dried yogurt starter but not sure about probiotic capsules.

One other thought is that the millk may be handled differently where you are. And you might need to.make sure the milk is getting all the way to 180 in the first step. That also contributes to thickening by denaturing (?) The protein in the milk. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
Yogurt strained for 3+ hours. DD complained last time it was lumpy so I whisked it good and it was not lumpy. Wish I had more time to strain it a bit longer but it was stop then or not be home until 7 or later! Lol. That would definitely be cheese.

If it's like cheese, you can add some more liquid yogurt and mix it in.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »
If it's like cheese, you can add some more liquid yogurt and mix it in.
and it will turn back to yogurt?? :D Maybe i will do that next time if i end up in a predicament like this. I think it was fine but it could have used a little longer. DH likes his yogurt thick (like Greek Gods if you ever have had that).
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »
This looks like a good site for yogurt making faq

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #265 on: September 06, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »
I can't see the link, Run Amok.

I bought some siggi's non-fat drinkable yogurt to try out as a culture tonight. It has 1 BILLION probiotics per serving. That's good, right?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #266 on: September 06, 2016, 08:16:24 PM »
Natasha-- different cultures produce different taste and texture so you might not end up with firm yogurt from that.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/yogurt/yogurt-starter-frequently-asked-questions-faq/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #267 on: September 06, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
Natasha-- different cultures produce different taste and texture so you might not end up with firm yogurt from that.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/yogurt/yogurt-starter-frequently-asked-questions-faq/
It mentions raw milk yogurt being runny, mine has not been. There was not much difference between the whole milk and the raw milk yogurt but both types were strained.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2016, 09:23:25 PM »

Thanks, you saved me from disappointment! I googled filmjölk and it looks like it's mesophilic. Putting it in the IP wouldn't work. I'll try putting some in some milk and setting it out overnight and see what happens.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:46 AM »
Can someone post a picture of the texture of your yogurt straight out of the pot without straining? maybe mine is the same of your? I will post a picture of mine the next time I make it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »
Mine is lumpy and watery.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
It sometimes comes out lumpy and watery, esp. when I make a large batch. sometimes like yogurt as you would expect it in a story bought tub.  The bottom is always a bit thicker than the rest, i presume, due to milk powder.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2016, 09:31:08 AM »
I tried white jasmine rice using the recipe that came with the IP. A bit gluggy. Anyone got a good technique?

I do brown rice and it came out similar.  I put it in the fridege for a couple of hours and it broke up fine and the texture was greatly improved.  Doesn't help if you don't have time, but if you're making big batches of rice and then freezing it, it really works well.
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
I just picked up "Hip Pressure Cooking" from the library, anyone have it????

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Have not read that.

Meri,
I just made a batch of the refried beans. (Mine are not vegan.)
Yum!
Used my immersion blender to get the batch to a perfect (lumpy) consistency.

I'm the only one eating them, so will need to divide and freeze portions.

Otherwise, I'll go ::::FOOM:::: if I consume too much of it. :panic:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:34:51 PM by wherestheportojohn »
On, Wisconsin

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »
Meri-- just the site..never the books

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »
I must have bought a dud batch of beans at Wegmans (I usually do NOT buy dry beans there) because my refried beans have done 40 minutes an are already not close to done  :grr: I have hungry people here!!!

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #277 on: September 07, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »
 :hug: hungry hungry family
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #278 on: September 07, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
I am NEVER buying dry beans there again! One and done. It took about 50 minutes in the IP! I have made this recipe probably 4-5 times and never had this problem.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #279 on: September 07, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »
Ugh. Sorry. Beans can be super unpredictable. The last batch I made was totally overcooked, even though I've had these beans for a year or more.

+-SUPPORT US