Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222693 times)

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2016, 03:07:23 PM »
The risotto I made with shrimp and peas was fabulous!  And so easy!

Did you buy one Bonita???   ;)
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2016, 05:42:04 PM »
No, but my birthday is coming up...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2016, 06:10:10 PM »
I wanted to make yogurt again and went to the store and every milk had added vitamins if it was not whole milk.  :confused: So somehow I ended up walking out with a 1/2 gallon of raw milk from my friend's farm.  :confused: :confused: :confused: what just happened?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »
I wanted to make yogurt again and went to the store and every milk had added vitamins if it was not whole milk.  :confused: So somehow I ended up walking out with a 1/2 gallon of raw milk from my friend's farm.  :confused: :confused: :confused: what just happened?

what is wrong with added vitamins?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2016, 07:31:15 PM »
what is wrong with added vitamins?
I thought you wanted milk with nothing added in it for the yogurt and most of the D vitamins are derived from fish. Here is a link on VitD3 and it being from fish or sheep.
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/vitamin-d3-superior-other-forms-vitamin-d-7116.html
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2016, 12:09:31 AM »
I don't even know if the milk I use has added vitamins and I do not have any milk in the house right now, so I can't check. I guess if you're vegetarian, it would matter what the origin of the vitamins is.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »
I just keeping making the same basic thing over and over again and I love this thing!

Chicken thighs and veggies and whatever sauce you like, Hunan, Szechuan, Greek, Italian, Cajun, Moroccan, Mexican.... it's endless. 

9 minutes and it's like it has been in a slow cooker for 12 hours.   

HEB peeps.  Get you some Rockin' Moroccan sauce and whatever veggies you like.  Sometimes I marinate for a couple of hours, sometimes i don't... I use celery and carrots and onions and green peppers... I add maybe a 1/4 cup of water. do manual for 9 to 10 minutes and then vent.  Serve over rice.

If the sauce is thin at the end I'll put it on saute and thicken it with cornstarch. 

This thing is amazing.

Thanks, I'll look for it next time!

It sounds a lot like the Shrimp creole I made last night. I made the sauce first and then added the shrimp that was still somewhat frozen for 3 minutes and it was great.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
I use regular old store-brand 1% and it has vitamins; works perfectly. I use 2 tablespoons of starter for each half-gallon and it doesn't get too tart.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »
Yogurt attempt #2 in the pot. I brought the raw milk to boil on the stove which only took about 15 minutes (I did it slowly) vs the 1 hour almost in the pot.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »
Straining the yogurt in a nut milk bag per MoS's suggestions, hanging from the cabinet knob :D DH and DD are in love with Greek Gods caramel yogurt, i wonder if this would work? http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012493-caramel-yogurt

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
So the caramel yogurt looks pretty thin, but thinking it will thicken up in the fridge, tasted good. The rest of the yogurt i just stirred in some raw honey from the farm we went to last week to pick our fruit and it is DELICIOUS. I do not even really eat yogurt and now all i want to do is make yogurt :D I need people to eat it!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »
Spaghetti squash cooked perfectly in the IP in FIVE MINUTES  :e)

I am so in  :heartbeat:

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
Meri, do you just cut in half the long way and scoop out the seeds?  Do you add anything to it? I have a spaghetti squash that I need to cook.

I have the urge to make something fruity, like apples or blueberries with oatmeal. Like a crisp, but not super sweet so I can also eat it for breakfast.
I'm scouting around for recipes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2016, 05:42:04 PM »
Meri, do you just cut in half the long way and scoop out the seeds?  Do you add anything to it? I have a spaghetti squash that I need to cook.

I have the urge to make something fruity, like apples or blueberries with oatmeal. Like a crisp, but not super sweet so I can also eat it for breakfast.
I'm scouting around for recipes.
I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, put the rack and 1/5cups of water in, then the squash, cut side up, on top of each other kind of, closed the lid, 5 mins high pressure, QR. We then topped it with http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/ Avocado pesto sauce.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »
Honey badger I like homemade applesauce, plus greek yogurt, topped with oat bran. You get creamy & sweet. Seems decadent but isn't .

I made eggs in the ip again. 5 minutes and a quick release was perfect!

Then i made minestrone-- small carrot,  1 cellery stall, half am onion browned on saute over medium +1.5 cups of cannelini beans I'd made the week before,  incl cooking liquid (they were cooked with sage, rosemary,  oregano, thyme & garlic), 5 cups stock, 1 can tomatoes, and 2 generous cups each kale and savoy cabbage, + a couple of parm rinds.  10 minutes at pressure and quick released. 

Doing baked beans now. Tried 2 minute pressure quick soak.  I'll report back the results.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2016, 11:32:09 PM »
Baked beans need a bit of work. The method I followed cooked soaked beans + sauce for 45 minutes. I did the instant pot quick soak method followed by the 45 minutes in sauce. Not totally done so did 10 more minutes. They are all cooked but some are tough. The long cooking time is a result of cooking beans with acid.  Next time I'll try presoaking for more consistent results. Sauce was nice and thick, which was my worry!

Then I did applesauce.  5 minutes obliterated the apples so next time I'll try 3 minutes instead!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »
I upped my game and tried doing a full gallon of milk instead of a half gallon.  Total waste of $3.00.  I've had perfect results every time I've used a half gallon, and this time I got a soupy mess.  I doubled the amount of starter, which was Fage, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to just dump it.  It's in the fridge now.

I've been making whole chickens on the weekend with a cup of water, chicken on the trivet, and copious amounts of sage and garlic salt.  6 min per pound plus 2 min....natural release.  Falls off the bone and shreds like a dream.  I save the broth and today I'm making white chicken chili with the meat and broth. 

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »
I upped my game and tried doing a full gallon of milk instead of a half gallon.  Total waste of $3.00.  I've had perfect results every time I've used a half gallon, and this time I got a soupy mess.  I doubled the amount of starter, which was Fage, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to just dump it.  It's in the fridge now.

Oh no...do you strain?
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
Yes, but it's just slightly lumpy milk.  Bummed. 

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
When I used a full gallon, I had to boil it twice.  The first time, the temp wasn't high enough.  The second boil cycle didn't take very long but got the temp higher.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US