Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222615 times)

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
Thanks, Ice Cream

BTW I just looked at my Fage and it does have acidohphilus.
well that crushes that theory. 😊
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »
I use Fage and 1% milk and it comes out perfect.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »
Ok! Will try a batch of lower fat yogurt this weekend. I got my nut milk bag to strain it with.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2016, 10:20:20 AM »
Thanks, Ice Cream

BTW I just looked at my Fage and it does have acidohphilus.

There is nothing wrong with trying greek yogurt as a starter; it's just more expensive.  I dislike Aldi's yogurt as a starter.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
There is nothing wrong with trying greek yogurt as a starter; it's just more expensive.  I dislike Aldi's yogurt as a starter.

Why don't you just use some of your homemade?

Wonder why some people aren't getting the tartness, Rochey is yours tart? Do you do it for 8 hours or more?
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »
For me, there two variables to my tarter batch. The different starter and I also left it over 9 hours.

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2016, 06:39:36 PM »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
Why don't you just use some of your homemade?

Wonder why some people aren't getting the tartness, Rochey is yours tart? Do you do it for 8 hours or more?

I read somewhere that your yogurt tends to stay fairly liquid if you keep reusing your own.  I never tried it.  I have no issues buying the starter, and every once in a while, when I am out of starter, I will use my own.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2016, 07:02:47 PM »
I just keeping making the same basic thing over and over again and I love this thing!

Chicken thighs and veggies and whatever sauce you like, Hunan, Szechuan, Greek, Italian, Cajun, Moroccan, Mexican.... it's endless. 

9 minutes and it's like it has been in a slow cooker for 12 hours.   

HEB peeps.  Get you some Rockin' Moroccan sauce and whatever veggies you like.  Sometimes I marinate for a couple of hours, sometimes i don't... I use celery and carrots and onions and green peppers... I add maybe a 1/4 cup of water. do manual for 9 to 10 minutes and then vent.  Serve over rice.

If the sauce is thin at the end I'll put it on saute and thicken it with cornstarch. 

This thing is amazing. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:06:54 PM by The Turtle Whisperer »
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »
I made Beef Madras....recipe and spice packet from Karen's Spice Kitchen...in the instant pot rather than in a Dutch oven or slow cooker.
It was yummy yummy!
Served over basmati rice with a (garden) cucumber and (garden) tomato salad.
:D
On, Wisconsin

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
If you guys don't shut up about this thing soon I'm going to have to get one.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
Heh, Bonita. Keep an eye out for another sale. Well worth the $69.95 I paid

I think my yogurt is getting more tart as it sits. I am very happy with it though, a half gallon didn't make that much and I lost a lot of what I strained in the yogurt strainer. The laundry bag worked better, and I received my nut milk bag from Amazon so will use that. It is about same mesh as the laundry bag.
I will make a gallon next time, and use a different starter and maybe some powdered milk.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »
I wonder if the whole milk yielded more because less prob strained out? I got 40oz of yogurt from 1/2 gallon.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
I made Beef Madras....recipe and spice packet from Karen's Spice Kitchen...in the instant pot rather than in a Dutch oven or slow cooker.
It was yummy yummy!
Served over basmati rice with a (garden) cucumber and (garden) tomato salad.

Nice!  I'm glad you're loving your spice packets; what a clever way to use one.  I'm having dinner at Karen's house tomorrow night.  She'll love to hear that one of my imaginary friends liked her product. :heartbeat:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
Nice!  I'm glad you're loving your spice packets; what a clever way to use one.  I'm having dinner at Karen's house tomorrow night.  She'll love to hear that one of my imaginary friends liked her product. :heartbeat:

On, Wisconsin

Offline ihop

« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
Soup was yummier today thinned with a little water.

Adding meris bean recipe here to try later.  http://makerealfood.com/2015/03/03/refried-beans-instant-pot-vegan-nachos/

I made these last night.  Delicious!  DH said they were the best refried beans he has ever had!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
I made these last night.  Delicious!  DH said they were the best refried beans he has ever had!
RIGHT???? and beyond easy!!!!!! It is all my kid wants to eat  :heartbeat:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #177 on: August 25, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »

Either stay out of the thread and avoid temptation or else get one.  My motto is "the only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it."  I love mine and don;t regret.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:26 AM »

You know how much I hate kitchen gadgets and I don't regret spending $70 or the counter space for mine!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »
 >:(

+-SUPPORT US