Author Topic: Server Upgrade Complete - any issues post them here  (Read 8511 times)

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
Server Upgrade Complete - any issues post them here
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Go.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Server Upgrade Complete - any issues post them here
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
Looks like the same damn people and the same tired topics?!?! 

You call that an upgrade?! 

Well done sir!  Thanks! 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Unidentified Flying Urchin

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
  • There is no spring for you
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
Well done sir!  Thanks!
1. I have come back refreshed and full of vim and vigour after the break, so that's an upgrade!
Thanks for the advice. I will not heed it as I think you are wrong. - VP of Tea

Har har.  No, seriously, I have embryos in formalin on my dresser. - CheryG

shit has a magical way of cascading in whichever direction you tend to point - gebuh

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
This isn't really an issue, but did there used to be another button next to the preview and post ones? It looks wrong somehow but I don't know why.

shit has a magical way of cascading in whichever direction you tend to point - gebuh

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
This isn't really an issue, but did there used to be another button next to the preview and post ones? It looks wrong somehow but I don't know why.

I don't remember another button.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
Thanks!
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
I don't remember another button.
And I can't find a screenshot anywhere with 3 in either. How has my brain managed to convince itself of an entirely imaginary third button in the last 24 hours? ???

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:24:39 AM »
This may just be me since I have a very old lap top and the outdated XP operating system, but the screens never finish loading. I can see everything fine as far as I can tell but the circle keeps spinning on the tab and never changes to an "X". I hope this makes sense.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »
This may just be me since I have a very old lap top and the outdated XP operating system, but the screens never finish loading. I can see everything fine as far as I can tell but the circle keeps spinning on the tab and never changes to an "X". I hope this makes sense.

Did this start happening after the upgrade?  Anyone else experiencing this?  Doe this happen with other websites?  Which browser are you using?

The circle will spin as long as the browser is waiting for content.  Many web pages get their content from multiple sources (this site also does that but not nearly as much as other sites)  and, therefore, make multiple requests while the page is loading.  If any of those requests have a glitch then the wheel keeps spinning until they all complete or time out.

The chain between you and the completion of a web request has many links: your computer, your router/modem, the ISP's equipment, DNS servers, numerous internet nodes between the ISP's initial node and this server and, of course, this server.

It can be a daunting task to figure out where it is hanging up.  Bottom line: if the page loads everything that you want, relax and enjoy.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
BTW, most browsers have "Developer Tools" that can show you which of the multiple requests have not completed.  In Chrome they can be found in the menu (that set of horizontal lines at the upper right) under More Tools->Developer Tools.  Not the WHY but the WHAT.

The Network tab shows every background request for data the source url as well as if the request has completed and the time that it took.

I'm looking at that now and notice that one of those requests on this page has not completed: loader.white.gif <http://chrunners.net/forum/Themes/default/hs4smf/graphics/loader.white.gif>.  My browser, however, does not show the spinning circle.

I'm certainly going to investigate but, again, it does not matter for the usability of the site.

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Ah, interesting, that gif is an animated one.  In a sense it never stops loading.

Offline Beer Gut

• Help me, I'm melting....
  • Reduce; Re-use; Recycle
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
No complaints here, I just wanted to express my appreciation for the work you do to maintain this site.

So thanks, Mike.

A lot of people are grateful for your efforts.
I could be completely wrong about this.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
It's not happening on my work computer. Let's just chalk it up to a 2006 Dell running XP and not worry about it.

Thanks for all you do Mike!

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
You are all welcome.

Or as we say here in Texas, "Thanks y'all"

Offline SandraDee

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »

I know what you mean...  Something seems different, but I can't figure out what it is!
"People like you own the world" - ellenshana

siamesedream

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 02:32:47 AM »
 8)

+-SUPPORT US