Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221228 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #580 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
This gigantic contraption is taking up valuable space in my kitchen and gathering dust. It's been a total waste of a purchase for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #581 on: June 25, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
I bet you could sell it & get most of your money back.  I'm surprised how much use it gets around here. Love mine.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #582 on: June 26, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
I used mine a couple times a week on average.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
That sucks CA. But you travel a lot, so maybe that's part of it? You have to be able to plan, in most cases, I've found.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #584 on: June 29, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
That sucks CA. But you travel a lot, so maybe that's part of it? You have to be able to plan, in most cases, I've found.

It's also too big for one person. If I were feeding several people, I'd get more use out of it.

Offline Iscream

• Pubescent
« Reply #585 on: June 29, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »
It's also too big for one person. If I were feeding several people, I'd get more use out of it.

I can see that.  I think a small fuzzy logic rice cooker from zojirushi would be a better choice for a single person.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #586 on: June 29, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
I am ok eating the same thing every day for a week, many times I just make food for me, or freeze half for later.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #587 on: June 29, 2017, 03:44:08 PM »
I am ok eating the same thing every day for a week, many times I just make food for me, or freeze half for later.

Me too.  I would never even bother with the IP if the only thing it could do was make a single meal's worth of food.  I use it to make a week's worth of yogurt, 2 weeks of brown rice, three days of pork carnitas, etc. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #588 on: June 29, 2017, 08:35:07 PM »
I like to pressure cook dried beans and they freeze really well!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #589 on: June 30, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
The fridge/freezer in my apartment is the cheapest model the landlord could find. The freezer is too warm and the fridge is too cold so I end up with half frozen food covered in frost.

So I don't tend to freeze much of my food.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #590 on: June 30, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »
This gigantic contraption is taking up valuable space in my kitchen and gathering dust. It's been a total waste of a purchase for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I'd seen this before--we *just* bought one. Would have bought it from you instead! Will be going back through this thread to look for favorite uses.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: July 03, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »

I do this too. Pork, chicken, rice, eggs, spaghetti squash. I like to take lunch to work.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #592 on: July 05, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
I took the IP camping again. This time I steamed corn on the cob. It was delicious. I shucked and cleaned the corn, broke the ears in half, and added a cup of water. 2 min, quick release. I ate mine straight out of the pot, and it wasn't any special corn.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #593 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
I took the IP camping again. This time I steamed corn on the cob. It was delicious. I shucked and cleaned the corn, broke the ears in half, and added a cup of water. 2 min, quick release. I ate mine straight out of the pot, and it wasn't any special corn.

Oh! That's a fantastic idea, I hadn't thought of doing corn in there.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #594 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
Oooh! That's a great idea. I bet artichokes would also be really good in this thing.

I think the other thing is that people just have different cooking and eating habits. Some people LOVE their slow cooker and I have never been able to fit that one into my life. Same with the vitamix and kitchenaid mixer. Stuff people use all the time and LOVE-- but just not used a lot in my kitchen. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »
Oh! That's a fantastic idea, I hadn't thought of doing corn in there.

Corn in the IP is the best. So fast! Brussels sprouts too. I haven't had a lot of success with other veggies, as I'm super picky about overcooked broccoli and whatnot.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »
Oooh! That's a great idea. I bet artichokes would also be really good in this thing.

I think the other thing is that people just have different cooking and eating habits. Some people LOVE their slow cooker and I have never been able to fit that one into my life. Same with the vitamix and kitchenaid mixer. Stuff people use all the time and LOVE-- but just not used a lot in my kitchen.
I do not use my slow cooker or Vitamix very much. The mixer and IP more, the IP the most. The nutribullet daily too.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #597 on: July 14, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »
I'm giving it to my coworker - she has two year old twins and is stoked!

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
Corn in the IP is the best. So fast! Brussels sprouts too. I haven't had a lot of success with other veggies, as I'm super picky about overcooked broccoli and whatnot.

I finally got an IP!! What recipe are you using for Brussels sprouts? I tried corn, and it was really good!

I'm mostly making marinated chicken and then the sides on the stove. Do you guys make more than one thing in the IP for a Meal? I mean 2 different veggies (like corn and something else) or chicken and a veggie not cooked together. It seems like a pain to cook one thing, then clean it, then put the next thing on in a reasonable amount of time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:48:06 PM by LizardMixture »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #599 on: July 16, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
How do you do the corn? DD just got her braces off and we already bought her some that she ate the first night.

I made yogurt this weekend using local raw milk (brought it up to 180F first, no worries there) and it made the most delicious yogurt I have ever tasted AND it made at least 1 cup more than 1 gallon of regular organic whole milk. I strained it for most of the day too :D

+-SUPPORT US