Forum > The Fruit Stand (Photography)

Budget Zoom Lens Upgrade

(1/4) > >>

Mrtambourineman:
I have a Canon Rebel T3 body.  I'm currently using a 75-300 zoom (first generation without IS or USM).  I am frustrated at the poor quality of shots and the number of shots I miss because of the slow focusing.  I was initially thinking about upgrading to a Canon 70-300 but then I read about Tamron's SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD.  The reviews sound pretty good.  I mean I'd love to go with something better, but I think I could swing this and it sounds like a significant upgrade from what I'm using.

Anyone have experience with this lens?  Are there others I should consider? 

The Turtle Whisperer:
Does dropping back and going 18-300 blow the budget?

I had a couple of the cheaper nikkor 70-300's that were OK. 

I've had great luck with third party lenses.  I bought a sigma 18-250 for a trip where i wanted to basically travel with one lens.  I ended up with an incredible copy of the lens and I got some great shots with it. 

Still, I don't use much of the longer end of that lens and it's the real weak spot in my lens line-up.  Every time I buy a 70-300, I sell it with in a year.  OTH, I have a few zooms under 20mm and am currently thinking about buying a sigma 8-16mm.  I mostly shoot wide angle.   

I do like trying to get a fun moon shot every now and then and the 300's on a crop frame can do pretty well with that.   

Mrtambourineman:
I've thought about going with a travel style lens, but I do a lot of sports shots of my kids and I do some wildlife as well so I'm shooting in that 200-300 range a lot and would hate to lose that extra reach.  For me the only compensation would be if I was able to get a much faster lens - like an f2.8 through the range.  My long range thoughts are to upgrade the 18-55 lens as well or maybe to buy a Canon 24mm pancake lens for fast general shooting using the manual zoom technique.  I also have a nifty fifty in my bag which is great for portraits on my crop sensor, but not much else. 

The Turtle Whisperer:
You can actually get more range with the 18-300's...  http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-300mm-F3-5-6-3-Macro-Cameras/dp/B00NJ9K52W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455977265&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+18-300mm+cannon

But, they are probably several hundred more. 

Mrtambourineman:

--- Quote from: The Turtle Whisperer on February 20, 2016, 09:10:22 AM ---You can actually get more range with the 18-300's...  http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-300mm-F3-5-6-3-Macro-Cameras/dp/B00NJ9K52W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455977265&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+18-300mm+cannon

But, they are probably several hundred more. 

--- End quote ---

Well, my 18-55 appears to be crapping out so I test drove (so to speak) the sigma 18-250 today.  It gets pretty good reviews, feels so much nicer than my 75-300 too.  I'm going to download the shots I took today and take a look at it.  I'm also thinking about buying the Canon 24mm f2.8 pancake lens to replace my 18-55 as local camera guy says its not worth getting the 18-55 repaired, $ are scarce at the moment and the 24mm pancake is highly regarded (and really cheap!).  Any thoughts on that idea?  I test drove the 24mm pancake today as well. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version