Author Topic: Trail running noob  (Read 6818 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Trail running noob
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
I don’t know either of those...

One of the things I’m excited about is exploring new territory. My “walk out the door” running routes are sooooo boring.

If you ever get a chance go check out Willowdale, you should! Fantastic trails.  Moderate in regard to technical. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 09:22:05 AM »
If you ever get a chance go check out Willowdale, you should! Fantastic trails.  Moderate in regard to technical.

I took a look online and you are right, it's similar to what I'm doing here in the local state forest. Looks beautiful... about an hour from me, but a good weekend destination. Thanks!

Offline CheryG

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »
YW! When I ran on those trails it rained like 2" that day, if I'd had on an aggressive road shoe I would have probably been OK. (Not banana slicks like my Kinvaras). The soil was really good- not too much clay, not too much sand.  JBM has run there several times and could give better input I'm sure.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 01:53:44 PM »
Trail running is great. Innov8 makes great trail shoes. I have Asics Gel Venture 5 Trail shoes, they’re great. If you’re really going to do different types of trail running, I’d recommend trail shoes.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
Trail running is great. Innov8 makes great trail shoes. I have Asics Gel Venture 5 Trail shoes, they’re great. If you’re really going to do different types of trail running, I’d recommend trail shoes.
Can you recommend some good local routes for me?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
You may want to do a search for your local Trail Sisters group on FaceBook as well.  Our local chapter has thousands of women in it and is very active so I bet yours is fantastic.  We have group runs all over WNC every weekend and women posting for buddies or asking for routes on the daily.  It's a really great resource.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Trail running noob
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 05:04:55 PM »
You may want to do a search for your local Trail Sisters group on FaceBook as well.  Our local chapter has thousands of women in it and is very active so I bet yours is fantastic.  We have group runs all over WNC every weekend and women posting for buddies or asking for routes on the daily.  It's a really great resource.
I just found this organization a few weeks ago! I am definitely going to connect with them after I get some training under my belt.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »
Oh good!  I ran with our local group on Thanksgiving morning and am working an aid station with them at a hundo in April.  The ladies I met are all great and of course I love the mission.

We often have posts from trail newbs, transplants or visitors asking for someone to take them out to learn.  And the group hosts a big "no woman left behind" run once a month.  These efforts (plus all the female focus in the trail world) have several of our local races publicizing the mail/female ratio now with females dominating.  The well known 50K CheryG is running in the VA Highlands being one of them.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
I love trail running! And I've mostly just run in the same shoes I wear on the road. I'm okay with them getting muddy and I haven't found too much need in MA for trail shoes- slick rock would have made me buy different shoes, but roots and a few rocks seem to be fine for road shoes. I don't really find much difference in trail running vs. road running other than being much slower over the same distance and needing to stay focused on the terrain. I really like to zone out during a run, but while I'm on trails I keep an eye on every place I'm stepping so I don't slip or roll an ankle. I've always felt like trail running makes me a better runner- you learn to react to changes in the terrain, short climbs, or jumping over big puddles. It's also just fun!

Offline CheryG

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:24 AM »
Trail Sisters boosted the Loon Mtn race by giving a huge discount to the entry fee. I wasn't going to say no to that!

If you decide that you'd rather run alone (as I do) you'll have people trying to put their fears about the safety of it into your head. 

As with hiking, I file a flight plan of sorts with the DH. I tell him where I will be parking, the section of trails I intend to be running on, and approximately how long I'll be.  I text when I'm done. Longer runs, I'll text at prominent points on the trail.

Winter running/hiking I bring extra clothes and snacks if I'm going to be far from a trailhead.  I also make sure the phone is fully charged and that I keep it warm.  That way, if I am laying in the trail all broken, I might not freeze to death as quickly while I wait for someone to come scrape me up.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 09:24:34 AM »
Good points!

I hike alone often, it doesn’t faze me. I do generally let people know where I’m going.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
Good!

I do like the social aspect of group runs and I like how our Shoefly group organizes them- a 1 mile and approx 3.1 mile route is marked, running or walking as little or as much as you want is totally fine. Some show up early to run extra and participate in the after run activities, some show up for the start and stay out on the trails longer. Not timed. Crazy, mostly random awards given. A special prize each run for the bloodiest fall.

I don't like runs where the fast people wait for the slow people at intersections. The slow folk like myself never get a break.

But mostly I run alone because I like the zen of it and it allows me to focus on my effort.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »
I love to run alone. It’s easier tbh, talking seems to have my HR higher. But I’m learning to love running with friends sometimes too. This morning I ran a new route around a lake 30 min from home because a friend asked me to join her. We had a runventure finding our way. Always wanted to go but maybe wouldn’t have without a buddy.

I agree about the safety thing. People less risk averse will broadcast their worries. And common sense counts for much. I love that we all have options.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 05:41:38 PM »
I just can't seem to find someone that has roughly the same pace and effort as I do, and it fucking sucks big time.  I hope that for all of you who live in more populated areas with more runners it's a little bit easier and more fun.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »
Come for a visit; I'd totally run with you

Offline CheryG

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
Aww, thanks! I think we should find a trail race that has a half mary, 50k and 50M distances and all of us CHers should run.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
agreed!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »
Hah I’ll have to get back to you guys on the race meetup... :roll:

Offline CheryG

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 07:47:26 AM »
Trail races aren't so much races, esp compared to the road race scene around Boston, lol.  Those people are serious.

They're more like roaming parties with juvenile food.  It's the best.

Cups of chips with M&Ms at aid stations... gummi bears... donuts...  yummmm.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
I also have to comment that in a way, virtually, ypu do run with me, diablita.  I see you posting about workouts online tha are harder than the ones I'm throwing down and I feel not so alone that I want to cross my Ts and dot my Is.  A neighbor of mine is training for the same 50k, she's two minutes a mile faster than I am to start with, and is totally winging it with her training.  She's a super nice person, but I don't feel like I can relate at all.  If that makes sense.

+-SUPPORT US