Author Topic: The running in the dark dilemma  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
Re: The running in the dark dilemma
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »

It's dark from like 4pm to 7:30 am here at the worst of it. How does one even function if they are afraid to be out after dark?
I'm not afraid to be out "after dark" I don't like running in the morning dark with not a lot of people around.. I feel safer at 5:30 pm dark...

There are people who do all their winter running on a treadmill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »

Treadmill!

Yuck!!!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 04:53:44 AM »
Every so often I wonder if I'm totally naive but I just don't worry about it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »
I'm not afraid to be out "after dark" I don't like running in the morning dark with not a lot of people around.. I feel safer at 5:30 pm dark...

There are people who do all their winter running on a treadmill

I do most my winter running on the TM!

Around here, at dawn, there are a lot of hunters, so that scares me more. But I cannot run that early, so not an issue.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
Yuck!!!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
I love that chart.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »
Well it's not late.. It's mostly either 5:30amor 5:30pm... 5:30 pm there are tons people out..

I wish I knew someone who lived close to me to run..

I can't go to the one morning group I wanted to go to near my work because a certain someone is going to that now :(

If you want to go, go.  Don't worry about "certain someone".  They can suck it.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Here too.  But I can understand feeling more at risk when you run in the dark.  Not that you should be paralyzed with fear, but it IS riskier so you should be careful.  What I'm not so sure about is the idea that running at night is safer than running in the predawn.  These FBI stats on 2012 crimes against persons suggest that the predawn window might be considerably safer. 

Of course, that's just aggregated data.  It includes female runners in urban environments, but it also includes everyone else.  Still, I wouldn't dismiss it as "nonsense." 

Exactly my point. Bad stuff happens. We get ourselves very worked up about "women runners alone at night".

However, you're much more likely to be hit by a car, or mugged, or whatever.

Sometimes bad stuff happens. I'm not convinced that not running alone outside when it's not daylight makes one significantly less safe than running alone mid-day.

When you look at sexual assault data (i don't have time to actually look up the stats right now)-- it's very clear that accross all victim types, the perpetrator is overwhelmingly someone you know. The rapist hiding in the bushes waiting to attack a female jogger at 6pm is total boogeyman factor. You're probably more likely to be attacked in your own bed.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
Also, I don't really consider running between 5:30-7:30 pm to be "running at night", even if it's dark.  That's commute time and dinner time.  More people out and about than 5:15 in the morning, for sure.  My biggest worry would probably be bad drivers, not bad people.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
If you want to go, go.  Don't worry about "certain someone".  They can suck it.

Easier said then done.. that certain someone will be with another certain someone and I just don't want to see it or be part of it.. it's way too awkward.. plus those people are super fast

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Of course, that's just aggregated data.  It includes female runners in urban environments, but it also includes everyone else.  Still, I wouldn't dismiss it as "nonsense." 

Nonsense in that people who do harm "sleep in." Crimes can happen anywhere at anytime and no matter what the statistics say, it's an awful feeling to be running down a deserted street and realize that you are being followed.

I still run in the pre-dawn darkness, but I don't take for granted that I am perfectly safe and that the creeps are sleeping.

+-SUPPORT US