Author Topic: USATF 5K - Atlanta  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
USATF 5K - Atlanta
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »

Last year I won the age group at 5K championships in Atlanta in was probably the most intense effort of the year, running stride for stride with a competitor until just 0.2 to go. Was able to have  good kick to win in 17:29. We had four age 60+ runners going under 18.

Although three of the top for were not returning I wasn't sure if I could pull it off again because last year's 5th place runner has been on a tear, running 17:34 a few weeks ago and a 36:19 10K. That and 5Ks make me nervous and edgy, because the pace is intense and there is not much room for error.

It was warm and humid at 75 degrees-80% humidity but not terrible. A few degrees warmer than last year, but maybe a little less humid. Ended up running exact same splits and time as 2018, but race had a very different feel because my competition  was dinged up (didn't know that), so I broke away from them at just past the mile and carried it home, 5:36,11:09, 17:29 for the age group win (92.2 age grade, and a close 2nd in that category). Great, but short trip. I'm hoping to go back to run Peachtree 10K next summer.

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Re: USATF 5K - Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
I saw on Garmin that you had an "Atlanta running' entry and was going to ask you.  Awesome!!!  Congratulations.   :)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
Way to kill it Coyote.   :bow:

Hope you can make it to my next of the woods at the World Master Athletic Championship in Toronto 2020, July 20 - Aug 1.  I will probably be volunteering at the games. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
Thanks Rochey & Fast Eddie, now that it's over I'm pretty excited. The day before I was going around, like I'm going to get trashed out there on the hot asphalt!
And yes I'm planning on all or part of WMA Outdoors in Toronto next summer! I may or may not need to work around work schedule.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:26:26 PM »
That's so great!  Congratulations!!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:49:06 PM »
92.2 age grade! I thought my 87.4 age grade for Sunday’s 50m dash was good but you are the man!  :bow2:
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

+-SUPPORT US