Author Topic: Is canning hard?  (Read 19261 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Is canning hard?
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
It sounds very intensive and I'm sort of afraid of botulism.  But it looks like fun.

Frankly I'm all hepped up on applesauce, and I've got the idea that it would be fun to make a giant batch and then can it in mason jars.

Can you help me?  But I need concrete steps.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Is canning hard?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
there was a GREAT thread for canning last year.  let me see if I can find it.

I have a local friend who cans and I've enlisted her to teach me this year.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
The hard part of canning applesauce is making the applesauce.  If you're doing it in the crock pot, probably not a big deal.  Homemade applesauce is one million times better than store-bought!  I'd recommend canning it in pint mason jars, because IME it's hard to eat the quart before it goes bad unless you have a really big family. 

If you have a big stock pot, maybe start with a small batch of applesauce and then see what you think about canning before committing to a huge project. 

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
What Nadra said. After you make the stuff you just put it in clean jars and boil it in a canning pot for a little while, then take it out and wait for the lids to pop.

The worst part is that most of the equipment is ginormous and not very good for much else. You need tongs to take the jars out of boiling water and a very large kettle. Most soup kettles aren't really big enough so you get this monstrosity that just sits around all year.

That and you end up having a jar collection the size of a U-haul.  :)
Itur ad astra

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »
The stakes seem so high to me with canning... that is a barrier for me.

That said, I make tons of apple sauce. I just freeze it. Keeps just fine.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
The stakes seem so high to me with canning... that is a barrier for me.

That said, I make tons of apple sauce. I just freeze it. Keeps just fine.

Yes, I freeze my apple sauce, too.  and I buy the reduced for quicksale apples when making apple sauce.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »
What Nadra said. After you make the stuff you just put it in clean jars and boil it in a canning pot for a little while, then take it out and wait for the lids to pop.

The worst part is that most of the equipment is ginormous and not very good for much else. You need tongs to take the jars out of boiling water and a very large kettle. Most soup kettles aren't really big enough so you get this monstrosity that just sits around all year.

That and you end up having a jar collection the size of a U-haul. :)

That's why I used mason jars as part of my wedding decor, my aunt has at least 100 of them in her basement.

Pints aren't too bad, you can always use them as drinking cups in the meantime.  I only have two dozen, I'm a novice. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
I think I'd really like to try this.  I'm unlikely to get botulism from applesauce.  I think I will buy some pint jars & lids.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
I think I'd really like to try this.  I'm unlikely to get botulism from applesauce.  I think I will buy some pint jars & lids.

Low acid foods are most at risk for botulism. I believe that apple sauce falls into the at risk ph. However, botulism is pretty rare regardless. For me, personally, I'd never be able to eat it because I worry too much about it (I always toss home canned goods that people give me... it just freaks me out). The USDA does provide canning instructions for applesauce though: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE%202%20Home%20Can.pdf

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Low acid foods are most at risk for botulism. I believe that apple sauce falls into the at risk ph. However, botulism is pretty rare regardless. For me, personally, I'd never be able to eat it because I worry too much about it (I always toss home canned goods that people give me... it just freaks me out). The USDA does provide canning instructions for applesauce though: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE%202%20Home%20Can.pdf

I used a half cup of brown sugar in my recipe.  Think that changes anything?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
No idea. I don't can!  :P

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »

High-acid foods (require a boiling water canner)
    High-acid foods include those with a pH of less than 4.6, such as fruit, pickles, sauerkraut, jams, jellies, marmalades and fruit butters. A boiling water canner heats food to 100°C (212°F) at sea level. The acid in the food prevents bacteria from growing, while this temperature will kill most yeasts, moulds and bacteria that could be present. As the bacteria that causes botulism does not grow at a pH below 4.6, it is not a concern for high acid foods.

Low-acid foods (require a pressure canner)
    Low-acid foods include those with a pH of more than 4.6, such as meat, seafood, poultry, soup, milk and most fresh vegetables, except tomatoes. Tomatoes are borderline high-acid food and require an acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar, to be added for safer canning. Mixtures of low and high acid foods, such as spaghetti sauce with meat, vegetables and tomatoes, are considered low-acid foods. For low-acid foods, the required temperatures can only be achieved in a pressure canner to destroy the bacteria which cause botulism.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
I used a half cup of brown sugar in my recipe.  Think that changes anything?

My mom ends up putting like 1/2 cup sugar in each quart of applesauce.  Health food it definitely isn't, but it's hella good!  It doesn't change the pH, and extra sugar also helps preserve the food because it makes it hyperosmolar, which is a fancy way of saying that the sugar keeps the water away from the bacteria.  That's why you make jam to preserve fruit.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
If you do make applesauce, I have found that a Foley mill makes it much easier.  You just quarter the apples, cook 'em, toss them in the mill skins, seeds and all.  The skin makes it a lovely shade of pink and makes me feel like I'm getting more nutrients than peeling.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »
I don't bother to food mill it. I just cook it 'til it breaks down. :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 07:05:58 AM »
I don't bother to food mill it. I just cook it 'til it breaks down. :)

me, too.  Sometimes I use the handblender, too.The food mill is too much work, and I do not even have one.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
Doing it in the slow cooker basically meant they were nice and cooked through over eight hours.  At the end of that I took my immersion blender (thank you HB!!!) and whirled it up some.

And I don't know...a half cup of sugar for 10 apples...doesn't sound like too much to me.  I'm willing to live with the sugar because it's extra tasty that way.  And I get to eat apples! Which I can't normally do unless they are cooked well, to kill the allergens.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
I add a little brown sugar, or molasses, to mine too, Ellen. It adds something (beyond the sweetness) that I like. I also add a ton of cinnamon.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
I add a little brown sugar, or molasses, to mine too, Ellen. It adds something (beyond the sweetness) that I like. I also add a ton of cinnamon.

Yes, cinnamon as well.  I bet molasses would add some richness.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
I add vanilla essence, cinnamon, ginger, cranberries, raisins, and some water.  No extra sugar.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
So if you don't mill it or you use the immersion blender, do you peel the apples first?  Do you core them?
That's the part I hate.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Is canning hard?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
So if you don't mill it or you use the immersion blender, do you peel the apples first?  Do you core them?
That's the part I hate.

1! The peeling and coring takes forever. I'd much rather use a mill of some kind.

We have a Squeezo, which is sort of like a Foley food mill on steroids.

The applesauce goes into the big bowl, and the stems, peels, seeds, etc. go into the small bowl.

DH also makes tomato juice and hot sauce with it.

Here e is cranking out the tomato juice. He scorched this batch. It tasted terrible. I felt sad for all the hard work he put into it:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:30:33 PM by badger »
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
I don't peel, but I do core, and chop. Takes a few minutes but probably not any longer than millig and it's a one pot deal, so definitely less cleanup!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
I have one of those thingies that you put the apple on and turn and it peels and cores and spiral slices the apple.  Can someone hook me up with a good applesauce recipe please?  Why did it never occur to me to make it myself???  I live next one of the apple epicenters of the country (Hendersonville County).

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
I have one of those thingies that you put the apple on and turn and it peels and cores and spiral slices the apple.  Can someone hook me up with a good applesauce recipe please?  Why did it never occur to me to make it myself???  I live next one of the apple epicenters of the country (Hendersonville County).

I use the one in the idiet book. It's really yummy. A little bit sweet, but not crazy sweet.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
I don't peel, but I do core, and chop. Takes a few minutes but probably not any longer than millig and it's a one pot deal, so definitely less cleanup!

Good point. My friend makes over 150 quarts of applesauce every year though, so the Squeezo is the way to go for her.

How do you get the peels out?

We don't add sugar to our applesauce, but that depends on the apple variety. Just apples and water. Maybe some cinnamon.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »
I don't make nearly that much. I make applesauce maybe 1x/month. Usually on soup day- just one more pot on the stove. I eat the peels, silly! I like my apple sauce a little cunkier though, I guess.

6lbs of apples
4tbs of brown sugar
2 tbs of raisins (Ileave them out)
2 tbs cinnamon
2 cups of water

apples and water into a pot and boil, then turn down to simmer and simmer until broken down. Then stir in cinamon and sugar (I add salt too). Then I portion into 1/2 cup portions and freeze like that.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »
so I can use the freezer jam containers I bought for applesauce?  and then just thaw each one in the fridge?  I spend a fortune on apple sauce for my DD.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
I don't see why not. I just use regular plastic (or glass) storage containers. I also have some old yogurt tubs I use. Since you're freezing it- you can put it in just about anything. The indivdual portions are very convenient. You can thaw in the fridge, or you can nuke it. It's *excellent* warm. I find that we both prefer the taste/texture of home made to the stuff you buy in the store (by leaps and bounds) but it is a little different. It's a smoother consistency and much more flavorful.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
so I can use the freezer jam containers I bought for applesauce?  and then just thaw each one in the fridge?  I spend a fortune on apple sauce for my DD.

If she likes store Bought spoke sauce she will die for this stuff. Neither of my kids would eat store bought... And they both ate some of this.  Even I loved it. I am already plotting when to make my next batch.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Leaving the autocorrects as is. Wtf.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
what's wrong?  she loves Bought spoke sauce.  that was good advice.  :d

And yes, my DD was a fruit bat in a previous life.  She'd live on fruit (and bacon and rice) if I let her.  She loves all of the applesauce I buy -- often the organic squeezie things from TJs (she loves them) or the low sugar, organic brands from the store.

now I can't wait to get back fro FL in a week to make some.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
I want to try these too- applesauce bars

http://southernfood.about.com/od/applecakes/r/bl30512j.htm

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »
Yeah, neither of us like Bought spoke sauce... but love the home made stuff. I just know my dd sometimes is really picky about specific stuff and I could see her turning up her nose at the home made stuff if she liked the (blander, uniform textured) store stuff. But worth a shot, because MAN is it tastier.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
The only apple sauce in stores that is close to home made is at trader Joe;s, imho.  I leave the peel on, but cut in small parts and get rid of the pits and core. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:34 AM »
Thanks RA.  You're exactly right, she may do just that but I'll give it a try.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
I really want to make applesauce but we keep eating all the apples  :hah:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

:D I buy "eating" apples (the good ones) and "sauce apples" (the cheap ones). Apples are crazy expensive this year though!!!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
:D I buy "eating" apples (the good ones) and "sauce apples" (the cheap ones). Apples are crazy expensive this year though!!!

Same here.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
They're expensive and not that good, sadly.  I'm near one of the best apple growing areas in the country (Hendersonville, NC) and our apple season was not so hot.

What kind of apples do you like for the sauce?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
That's interesting. We had a GREAT year for apples but, sadly, many of them were left on the trees to rot because the farmers couldn't find anyone to pick them thanks to recent immigation reform changes that challenged the migrant workforce.

Anyway... I've had good luck with just about any apple for sauce. I find that like the ones that have a bit of tartness to them for sauce as well as eating- they just have more flavor. Godlen delicious tend to be cheap, tasty, and have thinner skins (I leave the skins on to increaes the fiber and because I like a chunkier sauce). But, I really go with whatever is cheapest.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »

:D  This doesn't happen to me because of my allergy.  But the kids do eat apples ....

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
Ellen, sorry about the allergy.  I have a good friend who's allergic to garlic.  poor thing.   :buttpat:

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
I bought many pounds of Apples today. I hope my peeler thing comes tomorrow before the storm.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »
ellen-shana, did your apple peeler arrive?

I think we're going to make the applesauce today

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »
apple sauce is fab!  I halved the recipe posted by RA (also no raisins).  I also used the stick blender a bit to smooth it out some. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
It didn't arrive! It got delayed by Snowcapolypse.

I have a kajillion pounds of apples and I'm waiting for my gizmo. Hopefully Monday.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
I used the stik blender too. I like to make it smooth.   What did your daughter think?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
She LOVED it. 

I let her do some of the stirring so 'we' made it and that always helps.  I often let her help me cook (she takes a 'cooking with teacher' class occasionally at the JCC and is a good help) but she was too busy watching My Little Ponies to do the rest of the work.

I also mixed some in with a bit of 2% Fage (the way RA does) this afternoon so that she'd get a mix of protein + the applesauce and she gobbled it up.

+-SUPPORT US