Author Topic: Sunday, Oct. 2  (Read 1796 times)

Offline DrT(weekendwrAcur)

• The Runners
Sunday, Oct. 2
« on: October 02, 2022, 05:47:59 PM »
5 1/4 km walk/run this morning
7 1/4 km run this afternoon (ok maybe 800m of walk in there for warmup/cooldown

Longest road run of the year (the 7.25 km one, not even adding them together)

Breaking in my new road shoes, and making sure I like them. And making sure I am actually ready to run on the road.

All systems “go”. No real problems with the ankle, and back stiffness/soreness continues to abate.

The biggest gripe (a good one) was leftover leg soreness/tightness from the morning workout. It really only bugged me at start of the afternoon run.

Went out with a couple of aggressive goals, aiming for a PR at the 1km distance and for a “good” (sub 30 minute) 5k. Did not PR the 1k but even with an awful 500m split after that sprint effort I still completed my 5k in 29:43. The main thing I was looking for was power improvement in my 5-minute power splits over the past 90 days (which included a couple of solid time trial runs).

Success on that, and my measured critical power is up by 3 watts over what it was pre-injury!
I think “road power” is easier than “trail power” so I won’t claim that as an absolute, but I will take it and it feels good to get stronger post-injury as my recovery continues.

I can’t remember who it was on here (maybe Eddie) who talked about running with the 10:15/mile pacer at a recent marathon. That’s now my goal at the end of this month. Not sure if I’ll have the endurance to hold that pace all morning, but knowing I’d “only” have to maintain a couple of my slowest splits from today’s run gives me confidence to give it a go.

• The Runners
Re: Sunday, Oct. 2
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 07:43:13 AM »
I went back and looked it up, it was Fast Eddie at Sioux Falls last month - but it was the 4:15 pacer (not by min/mi). For my fitness right now that’s where I’d like to be but probably too hot, so I will plan on the 4:30 pacer and then see if I can sprint ahead the last couple miles if I have anything in the tank. I do think if all goes well (or, perfect) I can break 4:30.

Subject to change based on how the next couple weeks of training go, of course!

Offline Loco Coyote

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »
12.5 miles with a 15K race yesterday. Perfect weather (damp and cloudy, 53 F, no wind) and a good course. Ran 5K splits of 19:51, 20:08, and 19:34 to finish at an average of 6:24/mile, which was under my A goal of 6:26. Top 10 OA, 3rd masters, 1st in age. Been averaging about 65 MPW for the past three months and it's paying off. 

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 01:45:03 PM »
12.5 miles with a 15K race yesterday. Perfect weather (damp and cloudy, 53 F, no wind) and a good course. Ran 5K splits of 19:51, 20:08, and 19:34 to finish at an average of 6:24/mile, which was under my A goal of 6:26. Top 10 OA, 3rd masters, 1st in age. Been averaging about 65 MPW for the past three months and it's paying off.
Nice splits and congrats on the great result!

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 05:37:29 PM »
Good luck DrT   :fingers:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

+-SUPPORT US