Author Topic: Chili  (Read 2123 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Chili
« on: January 20, 2019, 06:55:15 PM »
I am making random ingredient chili tonight.  I usually use more than 1 can of beans, but I only have one can.  I have leftover steak, leftover onion (although not as much as I'd normally use), leftover green pepper (which I normally DON'T use), some garlic in the fridge, canned diced tomatoes, and a beer.   I wish I had jalepenos or even green chilis, but I don't.  So that's on the stove.

I was looking to see if I could throw my leftover brussels sprouts (roasted with garlic salt and pepper and were tossed with honey & sriracha). Still not sure about that.

But I did find these recipe and will totally be making it this winter:  https://www.isachandra.com/2008/11/chipotle-chili-with-sweet-potatoes-and-brussel-sprouts/
What is a chipotle exactly?  I'm assuming some sort of pepper, but does it go by another name?  I'm not sure I've seen them at the store. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Chili
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »
I say no to the Brussels sprouts. Brassicas usually muddy up the flavor of soups and stews.

The rest sounds yummy, though!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:15:21 PM »
This is the best vegetarian chili I have ever eaten or made. He also has a non-veg recipe I am sure is amazing. Seriously, make it sometime. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

I would not add brussles sprouts but I think you could just put them in the bottom of the bowl and eat them with your chili ladled over and it would be great.

As for chipotle chilis, she actually explains what they are in the recipe. But, they are a smoked jalapeno. As she points out you can sometimes find them in the dried chili section. You can also sometimes find them ground. Or, more often you can find them in the "ethnic" section with the enchilada sauces and such in a small can and it will say "chipotle in adobo" on the outside. These are packed in a thick sauce. They are very yummy. I usually prefer to use ground but if you can't find them you most likely can find the canned type and those are great too. If you can't find either you can go with some other smokey flavor like smoked salt or smoked paprika. I think the flavor profile is a little different than just adding some liquid smoke but even that would probably work in an absolute pinch. Or you could skip it and know you're missing out on a hint of smokey flavor.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
I was going to post a photo of what the can usually looks like, but then I saw this article of what to do with leftovers and thought it was a nice little bonus.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/6-things-to-do-with-a-can-of-chipotle-in-adobo-sauce

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
Hmmm.  I may have to smoke my own jalapenos this coming summer, now that I have a smoker.  (I mean, I wouldn't JUST smoke jalapenos because even though it's electric, the smoker is still kind of a pain in the ass.)

I don't ever want a food processor often enough to want to find space to store one, but the boyfriend has a stick blender.  We occasionally make some sort of sauce type thing to go on pork or steak. So, good to know.

I'm afraid of chickpeas after "the hummus incident", but I'll have to try working up my bean quantities to see if I can get past that.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US