Author Topic: 2019 running goals  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
2019 running goals
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
What are your 2019 running goals?

I turn 60 in April, which makes me the young kid in the M60 -64 age group.  I am not a competitive distance runner, but I’m competitive, even on the national level, in masters sprinting. 

1. I won’t compete much this winter, since I’ll still be 59, but I do hope to earn an invitation for a spot on the M 60 4 x 100m relay at the Penn Relays in April.

2. My other main goal will be the National Master’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Iowa in July - 100M, 200M, Long Jump.

3. Huntsman Games in October.

I’ll compete in lots of other Master’s track and field meets during the year, but those are my three main goals.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:52:13 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: 2019 running goals
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
I can't run, but I have rowing goals:

I'd like to hit 7000 meters in a 30  minute row.  I've rowed just over 6800 meters twice during a regular row.
Also, low 45s for a 10,000 meter row.

Weightlifting goals:  add some more weight for my quad extensions to strengthen by arthritic knee.  Maintain the rest of my lifting.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
Do USATF masters circuit again (5 of the races), take team title this time! Chicago in the fall, go for age group podium. I have some time goals (8K, 10000m track, and 15K in particular) but that's contingent on having a travel budget next year.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
Dont get injured/re-injure
Double my mileage this year so I'm back to 2k for the year
A few halfs then if healthy determine if I can train for a full, but this seems like it might be out of reach.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »
Got four more states to go.  Maine, New Hampshire, Delaware and Alaska.  One more province, Prince Edward Island. 

Hope to get one or two checked off. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
Heal up and go after a BQ.
Last year went pretty well except for the sore foot.

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »
Got four more states to go.  Maine, New Hampshire, Delaware and Alaska.  One more province, Prince Edward Island. 

So you have already run a marathon in the state of Denial?

Three of those states are close together.
You could get them all done in one long weekend.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
If I do the local big 10k this summer I would like to better last years time and maybe stay with Joanie.

Else to make podium at national and worlds.  It has eluded me at the distance event.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
I'd hoping to run a 50K, a 1:45 half and a sub 4 marathon -- would be happy with 2 out of 3.  I have a trail 50K coming up in a little over 2 weeks.  I've been recovering from a mild calf strain so my training won't be optimal but if I can get in a couple of long runs now that it's doing better, I'm going to go for it.

That's really exciting Eddie!  Which ones are at the top of your list for this year?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Sitting Bull

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
1000 miles. Done it 38 straight years but recovering from knee surgery. Hope to run by the end of the month. Meanwhile I'm rowing a lot.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »

That's really exciting Eddie!  Which ones are at the top of your list for this year?

No ideal yet.  Depends on my work schedule that gets me some time off to do a race that matches up.  I usually only need 5-6 weeks training prep to go the marathon distance, with the base mileage I keep.  Alaska of course will take some extra planning, while I can do the east coast marathons in a long weekend with little planning.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
If a marathon goes from Maine to NH, does it count as 2 states, or do all 26.2 miles need to be in the same state?

Rule 8. The event must either start or finish in the state being counted. A marathon that has a route that runs into two states cannot be counted as two states; it counts as one.

Examples:

1. The Marine Corps Marathon counts as Virginia because it starts and ends in Virginia.  Additionally, the National Marathon, Washington DC Marathon, Adebe Bikela, and Potomac River Run which begin and end inside DC do not count towards the state count because the District of Columbia is not a state.

2. If a race starts in one state, crosses into another state, and returns to the original state, it may only be counted for the state where the race started and ended. (Example: The Flying Pig Marathon begins in OH, crosses into KY, and finishes in OH.  It may only be counted for OH.)

3. If a race starts in one state and ends in another, it may be counted once for either the state where it started or where it ended.  If the same event is run on a subsequent year, the race may be counted for the other state.  (Example: The Hatfield McCoy Marathon begins in KY and ends in WV and may be counted for either state. Fargo 2014 began in MN and ended in ND.)

So much for anyone trying to plan or run a four corners marathon.   :sigh:

Offline Enigma's Rotting Ovaries

• The Runners
  • Keeper of Camp (Fuck You)3
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
I'm seriously considering signing up for the Hospital Rock 9 miler in Sept (part of the Jones Gap trail marathon).  I haven't run in years.

Who wants my stapler?
Boldly going forward,
'cause we can't find reverse.

I would stab a kitten in the face for some buttered cornbread right about now.  - onawhim

Honey, in psychotherapeutic terms, he's a dick.  Sue

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
I'm seriously considering signing up for the Hospital Rock 9 miler in Sept (part of the Jones Gap trail marathon).  I haven't run in years.

Who wants my stapler?
DO IT!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Enigma's Rotting Ovaries

• The Runners
  • Keeper of Camp (Fuck You)3
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
DO IT!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

:panic:  :runner:  :panic:

Boldly going forward,
'cause we can't find reverse.

I would stab a kitten in the face for some buttered cornbread right about now.  - onawhim

Honey, in psychotherapeutic terms, he's a dick.  Sue

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 09:53:51 PM »
... AND it has to be an Official marathon, right?

Like you couldn't start someplace on the AT in Maine that's 26.2 miles from NH, run into NH and go on another 26.2, call it a day [or two], and count 2 states?

Yup, official marathons to some degree of minimal organization.

2. The event shall have an announced race director, race organization and/or running club to supervise and take responsibility for the event, and be available to certify the runner's completion of the distance. It must have had a minimum of 60 days advanced publicity in a running publication, magazine, newspaper, web site or race brochure.  Verifiable results must be maintained and/or posted to the general public.  Someone who is not running in the event must be available to time it

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
I'll not do the 50 state marathon/half thing, but 50 states to race in? That's worth considering. Got a bunch of new ones in the past year plus--

Kentucky - USATF XC
Michigan - Dexter/Ann Arbor Half, Crim 1 mile and 10 mile road races
Virgina - Shamrock 8K
Georgia - Atlanta's finest 5K
Oklahoma - Tulsa 15K (twice now)
Idaho - Junior Olympics qualifier (I was the only runner over age 16 or so!)
Florida - Gasparilla 15K

Would have about 20 to go, and have some Canadian provinces down too.

NH (Mt Washington) is a possibility, in the decider mode over the next month. It's a big bucket list race, but paying for it is an issue.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »

NH (Mt Washington) is a possibility, in the decider mode over the next month. It's a big bucket list race, but paying for it is an issue.

Don't you need to apply for the lottery?  Or are you automatic due to your prestige?  :) I did it twice when I was younger, that was enough.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 11:02:44 PM »
Don't you need to apply for the lottery?  Or are you automatic due to your prestige?  :) I did it twice when I was younger, that was enough.

I have a friend on the inside, plus my year on the roads and results at the Colorado Mtn races should be a shoe-in.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
I don't make a whole lot of specific goals, but I've gotten into a nice little groove over the first couple weeks, hitting 3 days a week, which is a good starter benchmark for me.  I'm finding there's a certain amount of fitness that comes back fairly quickly, which continues to progress if I stay consistent for a couple months, then I hit a bit of a ceiling where I really have to start working for it to push through; at least 4 days a week, specified training with tempo/speedwork, etc..  Time wise it's usually around 24-25 minutes for 5k.  So if I had a goal, then I guess it would be to push through the ceiling again.  I know the ceiling definitely won't be getting much higher what with almost being an elderly 34 year old  :old:  .  So I'll probably incorporate some of coyote more crazy's charts a bit, especially for the tempo aspects, but I think when you're starting from zero and not shooting for olympics, BQs etc., then there's really no 'wrong' answer.  Except continuing with zero. 

Attacking some longer races sounds like fun, but I know to do that I'll have to incorporate some more strength work.  I've had persistent calf issues where usually my right calf will seize up on me if I push into double digit miles or beyond about 90 minutes.  I don't doubt that core weakness plays a big role in that; especially with my tendency to randomly go on a long adventure after virtually zero base.  So hopefully between building up miles slowly and some strength work, I can mitigate those issues a bit. 

I'd also like to find a way to rekindle the social aspect of running.  I've always been at my best when I've been involved with some sort of team or group.  That will probably be the most challenging aspect with trying to simultaneously wrangle a 1 year old.  But even a day or two a week could do some good.  I used to drive an hour plus from Wyoming to do group runs in SLC, so there's no reason I can't start again since it's only 15-20 minutes now.  Of course there's always that anxiety of breaking into a new group when you're an introvert and perpetually worried that everyone will be way faster than you too. 

Those are my musings lately. 

+-SUPPORT US