Forum > Food

Holiday Menus

<< < (2/7) > >>

diablita:
mmm...salt bagels

I would love the recipe for your sweet potato pecan pie please!

DocBuzzkill:

--- Quote from: diablita on December 11, 2018, 07:25:13 PM ---mmm...salt bagels

I would love the recipe for your sweet potato pecan pie please!

--- End quote ---

My pleasure! 

Pecan Sweet Potato Pie

Adapted from Chef Paul Prudomme’s Louisiana Kitchen

Makes one 9-in pie

1 purchased pie crust (Pillsbury is my preference;Prudhomme's original recipe resulted in a tough crust, at least in my hands) or made-from-scratch crust, if you're skilled with that.

Sweet potato filling:

2 to 3 sweet potatoes, baked (enough to make ~1.5 cup cooked pulp
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten vigorously until frothy
1 T heavy cream
1 T unsalted butter, softened
1 T vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp ground allspice
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pecan pie syrup

¾ cup sugar
¾ cup dark corn syrup
2 eggs
2 T unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 cup pecan pieces or halves

* Preheat oven to 325 F
* Allow rolled pie crust to warm for 15 min at room temp per instructions on box, then roll out into 9 inch pie pan.
* Sweet potato filling: Combine all ingredients for the filling in mixing bowl and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Do not overbeat.  Set aside.
* Pecan syrup: Combine all ingredients except the pecans in a mixing bowl and stir with an electric mixer at low speed until mixture is opaque, about 1 minute.  Add pecans and gently stir by hand.  Set aside.
* Assemble: Spoon the sweet potato mixture evenly into the pie dough lined pan.  Pour pecan syrup on top.  Bake in a 325 F oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 ¾ hours,  Pecans will rise to top during baking.
* Cool and serve with Chantilly cream.
Chantilly cream (optional, but it is delicious)

1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp brandy
1 tsp orange liqueur, like Grand Marnier or Cointreau
¼ cup sugar
3 T dairy sour cream

Refrigerate a medium-size bowl and electric mixer beaters until very cold.  Combine heavy cream, vanilla, brandy, and orange liqueur in the bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.  Add sugar and sour cream and beat on medium speed just until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.  DO NOT OVERBEAT.  Overbeating will make the cream grainy, which is the first step leading to butter.  Once grainy, it cannot be returned to its former consistency, but can be enjoyed on toast.

diablita:
Thank you!  This sounds heavenly and will be made soon.  I love me some Paul Prudhomme  :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

BonitaApplebum:
Thanks Doc, I will definitely try that soon!

DocBuzzkill:
Now with photos!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version