Forum > Food

recommend a waffle maker for me

<< < (2/5) > >>

Magic Microbe:
My experience with nonstick is that they lose the nonstick aspect over time. I had a waffle iron that was fine for maybe 10 years and then one day I tried to make the same batter I always used and they stuck and it was a giant mess. I threw it in the trash in frustration and bought a new one.  :D

diablita:
I have a waffle maker from Villaware that I've had forever.  Not sure why I put their farmyard waffle maker on our wedding registry long before our child was born -- I don't even actually like waffles all that much.  But I did.  So thanks to my foresight, DD often requests that I pull it out and make her chicken, cow and pig waffles.  Although the shapes are beloved (and she's a tween now), the horrid barnyard shrieking "done" noise (I think it's a chicken squawk) is not quite as great.  Eddie Woofer, especially, is not a fan.

I wish I could find it online at a reasonable price for you because piggy mac n cheese waffles need to happen.  But I will say that while it's non-stick and the waffles release easily (and I only allow plastic things on my non-stick surfaces, so it's going strong), it's a little tough to clean the leftover grime we sometimes get.  The irons don't come out of the waffler to go in the dishwasher.  Still, it's all worth it to see DD happily chowing down on a chocolate chip chicken now and then.

radial:
I don't care much for regular waffles, but mac and cheese waffles might be another story.  Following...

rocketgirl:

--- Quote from: caribougrrl on September 17, 2018, 09:42:42 AM ---it's an idea in my head right now... I'm not a fan of mac and cheese, but I am a fan of the crispy cheesy edges of home made baked mac and cheese and it occurred to me that a waffle iron could maybe create a whole lot of crispy cheesy edges... I'm not a big fan of waffles either, but I feel like I could get into waffled mac and cheese. 

I also think I would like waffles if I had control over them... by not a big fan, I mean I have never really had a restaurant waffle I liked... and the number of those I've eaten have been very limited because I don't tend to order them.

--- End quote ---

A local restaurant does waffled mac and cheese.  It took some doing to get it right from what I understand.  And they are not revealing their secrets.

I have a Cuisinart countertop grill that has waffle plates I can use.  You do have to be careful not to overflow the batter because it gets on parts that are not easy to clean.  (It's also not as good for grilling as the George Foreman because it is not at an angle so doesn't drain as well.  However, it is a single appliance and I get all the worlds.)

BonitaApplebum:
I wonder if a cast iron version for the oven might be the way to go? Instead of an appliance? Something like this?

http://www.pieiron.com/1100big.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version