Author Topic: Banana bag  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Banana bag
« on: August 17, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
I saw a banana bag in the store.  Supposedly, it slows down the ripening process for ripe bananas, so that they do not get brown spots so quickly.  Anyone tried?

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
Re: Banana bag
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
No, but wrapping the stem ends in plastic wrap or foil does work.  You can wrap the whole bunch or better, split the bunch and wrap each banana separately.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
Rotten overripe bananas just equal banana bread later for me so I don't worry about it....I just peel the overripe ones and shove them in the freezer.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »
Rotten overripe bananas just equal banana bread later for me so I don't worry about it....I just peel the overripe ones and shove them in the freezer.

I used to do this and then never actually make banana bread and end up with 9339 over ripe bananas in my freezer for later.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:28:57 AM »
I used to do this and then never actually make banana bread and end up with 9339 over ripe bananas in my freezer for later.

You need to make banana bread!

My husband is obsessed with it so I always end up making it. Luckily the recipe I use has no fats in it other than 1 egg per loaf.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Yes, I know about the banana bred thing, but I never bake.  I use my oven maybe twice a year.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »
You need to make banana bread!

My husband is obsessed with it so I always end up making it. Luckily the recipe I use has no fats in it other than 1 egg per loaf.

I like banana bread but we don't get the right kind of bananas here anyway-- the Hawaiian style has ruined me forever. And, I *like* banana bread but it almost never fits into my diet and if it does fit in, there are other things I'd rather have so. *shrug*  T doesn't really like it and it's all on me to eat. I really love carbs so I have to pick & choose which I love the most.

But, this is no longer really an issue for me. I find bananas to be gag worthy. They were worth gagging down when I was a runner, I actually kind of craved them. But since I on longer run I no longer eat them and no one else here loves them either. My DD would eat like 3 a day so I used to  buy them for her.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 06:07:32 AM »
i freeze them for smoothies.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
I slice the frozen ones into my morning yogurt that I bring to work and by the time I get in it's all thawed and melty.

And smoothies.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »
I slice the frozen ones into my morning yogurt that I bring to work and by the time I get in it's all thawed and melty.

And smoothies.

Just this description makes me gag.

I can barely handle eating almost green bananas (unless baked into something).

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
MM-- I find there is a sweet spot with bananas-- too green and they are gaggy and too ripe and they are gaggy. They must be perfect. Although the guy sitting next to me the airplane yesterday ate a banana and just the smell made me gag so... whatever.

Every time i read this thread title I think of something along the lines of a banana hammock.  :sidesplit:

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
MM-- I find there is a sweet spot with bananas-- too green and they are gaggy and too ripe and they are gaggy. They must be perfect. Although the guy sitting next to me the airplane yesterday ate a banana and just the smell made me gag so... whatever.

Every time i read this thread title I think of something along the lines of a banana hammock.  :sidesplit:

And this is exactly why I end up with a freezer full of rotten bananas...they have like a 2 day window of edibility.   :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »

And smoothies.

I guess I am out of luck. I do not eat/like/care for banana bread and smoothies.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 05:46:20 AM »
You can saute up mashed ripe banana and stir it into oatmeal.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »
And this is exactly why I end up with a freezer full of rotten bananas...they have like a 2 day window of edibility.   :D

overripe banana is not rotten banana.

Meri, what is the advantage of sauteeing a banana?  and does it produce a hard-to-clean pan?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »
It carmelizes it with it's natural sugars. It gets very sweet and mushy, so perfect to stir into oatmeal (or top ice cream with). I used a nonstick pan and it was not hard to clean up, just rinse and wipe.

+-SUPPORT US