Forum > Food

The Perpetual Preserving Thread

(1/3) > >>

Run Amok:
We made strawberry freezer jam this weekend. We prefer the un-cooked berry flavor and it's just easier to make. I went to the farmer's market to seek out picked fresh today local berries and I think it made a difference. Ridiculously good!

I am also thinking we will do a pineapple chipotle tequila infusion for summer margaritas. A restaurant up the street does this and it is ridiculously good.

I don't do much canning because we really do not have the room for it. I love hearing about other's projects though-- so whatcha got in the works?

BonitaApplebum:
I want to make a bunch of pickles this summer. Pickle all the things!!!

merigayle:
We usually do jam and pickled vegetables and sauce. I do not understand freezer jam, never heard of it. I cook my berries and add pectin and sugar and then jar them up. If you do not cook is it unsweetened?

Run Amok:
No, it's sweetened. Freezer jam uses fruit, pectin, & sugar. But, it doesn't go through the full canning process. So, basically you just make the jam and poor it into jars and put the lids on, let it set & then put it in the freezer. There is no "canning" step (hot water or pressure). The net result is that it is not shelf stable. It will keep in your freezer for a long time or in the fridge for about a month after opening.

I never really saw it until I started visiting Seattle and most restaurants here tend to serve it. IMO, the flavor is a really strong & bright berry flavor because the fruit isn't cooked.

diablita:
I really really want to learn how to pickle and can but am intimidated.

Confession:  I saw a Quincy when I was a kid where someone got botulism and almost died from a supermarket can and the thought of not properly canning and making my family ill scares the heck out of me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version