Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221203 times)

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
Yep, I didn't burn my hand but it was hella hot. 

I now put a dishtowel over it and turn it from the side.  I'd bet most have done that once. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »
Yep, I didn't burn my hand but it was hella hot. 

I now put a dishtowel over it and turn it from the side.  I'd bet most have done that once.
RIGHT??? being right handed it is only natural to do it and all my other pressure cookers the steam did not release where your hand would be. Man, people were harsh and degrading. I do not understand why people are like that.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »
I push the quick release thingie to the side with a spoon.  I remembered from my mother's stove top pressure cooker that steam gushes out.  Sorry you burned your hand. That could be quite painful.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
I push the quick release thingie to the side with a spoon.  I remembered from my mother's stove top pressure cooker that steam gushes out.  Sorry you burned your hand. That could be quite painful.
I was quick with the reflexes so it was not too bad. My stove top ones always had the steam come out the sides and down, so it was totally unexpected for me.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »
I was scared to release the valve the first time I ever did it, so I stood as far away as possible and whacked the lever to vent position with the IP manual booklet. I was stunned at the amount of steam that came out!  Meri, I'm sorry you burned your hand and also sorry that people are assholes.

I made this tonight: http://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-ground-lamb-curry/

It's really good! I didn't feel like making the homemade masala just for a teaspoon, so I used a store bought close approximation I found.  Really, very good.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
I was quick with the reflexes so it was not too bad. My stove top ones always had the steam come out the sides and down, so it was totally unexpected for me.

I did not know that that type of steam release even existed...

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »
I always wondered why you raved so much about that pressure cooker.  My mom had a stove top one, and I was never inclined to get such a thing.  The IP is just so convenient.
Has anyone boiled eggs in the IP?

I do eggs quite a bit.  I think I do about 5 min high and 5 min NP, then ice bath.  I've found that higher quality eggs don't crack, but I haven't found the magic time formula to prevent it altogether.

Merigayle, cover the valve with a towel or use a spoon if you're doing QR to prevent a steam burn.  I just saw that people were ugly to you about it...wtf?  Rude. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 09:50:59 AM »
Yeah I use a wooden kitchen spoon, but wtf is wrong with people?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
I steam my hardboiled eggs. I have an ista-hot which spits out 200 degree water. So I put about 2 inches of 200 degree water, steamer basket, eggs, put on high. Set timer for 12 minutes. Shock in cold water. Done.

Same thing with pasta. It takes about 2 minutes to bring a pot of water to boil from 200. Pasta goes in-- done in about 10 minutes total.

It does take me about 90 minutes to make beans though.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »
I am loving the IP for making potatoes in it! I make DD yellow potatoes and myself sweet potatoes. So yummy and FAST (we do not have a microwave, so usually an hour in the oven). Tonight i made a sweet potato, sliced it in half, salted it and topped it with a mixture of sauteed onion, bell pepper, black beans, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Then on top of that fresh salsa and a small bit of sour cream. YUM YUM YUM.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
I made yogurt last night! It was perfect!!

Ice Cream...you said you use flavored yogurt and the IP yogurt will be that flavor?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2016, 08:14:05 AM »
I made yogurt last night! It was perfect!!

Ice Cream...you said you use flavored yogurt and the IP yogurt will be that flavor?

I am glad you liked it.  Did you strain it, too?  It's so easy, isn't it? 
No, I use plain yogurt.  I *think* you should not use flavored.  Not sure. 

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
I made ice cream's recipe too. It didn't set the first time. I think it's because I didn't let it cool enough the first time before I added the starter and set it to "yogurt". But I just added more starter and set it again and it turned out great.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »
I am glad you liked it.  Did you strain it, too?  It's so easy, isn't it? 
No, I use plain yogurt.  I *think* you should not use flavored.  Not sure. 

Ok I think I misread your first post. I just added some vanilla extract when it was done. We've already finished one batch and one's cooking now!

Yes I strained it for about 4 hours.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:18 PM »
Ok I think I misread your first post. I just added some vanilla extract when it was done. We've already finished one batch and one's cooking now!

Yes I strained it for about 4 hours.
I usually do a full gallon once a week.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
I cooked a pot roast with carrots and potatoes over the weekend. It came out great.
Last night I hard-cooked some eggs for the first time. Easy peasy and they really were easy to peel, something I always have trouble with when I'd boil them.
I'm liking the thing so far!

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
I am doing a whole chicken tonight.  Newbie so I am a bit nervous.

I don't understand the hard boiled egg thing.  They are super easy on the stove - bring to a boil, turn off heat and let sit for 17 minutes.  I know the IP does them faster but is it really worth it? 

And I think I will do yogurt next week.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
I let my hard boiled eggs sit 12 minutes, LOL!
I remade the sassy sesame tofu and per the cookbook author's rec, reduced the cooking time by a minute (it was only 3 minutes) and it was much better and more resembled the picture. Geez i love the modern world where i can chat with a cookbook author! LOL.

I do, however, think my IP does not come to pressure properly. In my mind and eyes it is at pressure, but it is not acknowledging that it is up to pressure. I cleaned out the thing in the lid. I need to contact them. It is hit or miss, but one day i was not minding it and a lot of time went by before i realized it never "came to pressure" as in it never started the countdown, i opened it up, all the cooking liquid was gone and my food was wayyyyyy overcooked  :'(

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2016, 12:12:01 AM »
I might try the eggs thing, since I keep hb eggs in the fridge all week. I like the yolks pretty soft/not very cooked so that might be interesting to figure out.

I made this great kale... melt ghee/butter/whatever fat or use olive oil on saute setting, saute one thinly sliced onion and 3-5 chopped carrots until onions are floppy. Then add 4-5 chopped/sliced cloves of garlic and stir a bit. Then add one or one and a half chopped bunches of kale (no need to de-rib, you might have to tamp them down a bit), a half cup of broth (I use chicken but veg is cool too), and some salt and pepper. Set on manual for 8 minutes, then once you open it, add some balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes and stir. Maybe the tastiest kale I've ever made.

Actual recipe and directions and pretty pictures here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/18128850657/pressure-cooker-braised-kale-and-carrots

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
Wow. IP customer service sent me a VERY long and detailed email with tasks to perform and report back to them. (with times, observations, pictures, etc!)

+-SUPPORT US