Forum > Running

Road Races Report: The State of Running 2019

<< < (2/4) > >>

Coyote Mas Loco:
As has already been indicated here endurance sports are a lot more niche than a generation ago. Overall participation has gone up but not everyone is running 5Ks, HMs, and full marathons every other weekend. And there is a certain amount of bucketlistism in running. Cycling, tris, and mountain/trail/ultras have all probably grown more. 

With running you see a lot of, couch-5K to marathon, onto BQ attempts with a couple halves thrown in (no one wants to run a 10K anymore). And within two years it's onto 100 milers or or five day endurance challenges in Alps or Andes.

Arrojo:
Also, Masters Track & Field participation is bigger than ever. But sprinters are invisible to normal runners.

SnarlyMarly:

--- Quote from: CheryG on November 27, 2019, 01:33:09 PM ---Gonna agree with Lackey.  Plus, is there any data that includes ultras and trail runs?
  IMO those have seen huge increases.  The mountain running circuit is now much more competitive.

--- End quote ---

I have a ton of triathlon friends that moved to ultras, they say the culture is more supportive.   I have always felt that.   I workout with a young triathlete and I find myself saying “runners just don’t do that”, more and more often.

This is a typical triathlete meet up,  “hey, snarly, good race last month.  Are you going to do “insert race” this year?  I am doing it, I qualified for nationals there last year”

Snarly confused..... for runners....there is some conversation in between after saying “thanks”

For a triathlete, the proper reply is “oh yeah, you had a great race there”.

I think I better start thinking that ultra on my bucket list.   

SnarlyMarly:

--- Quote from: Coyote Mas Loco on December 02, 2019, 07:50:21 AM ---As has already been indicated here endurance sports are a lot more niche than a generation ago. Overall participation has gone up but not everyone is running 5Ks, HMs, and full marathons every other weekend. And there is a certain amount of bucketlistism in running. Cycling, tris, and mountain/trail/ultras have all probably grown more. 

With running you see a lot of, couch-5K to marathon, onto BQ attempts with a couple halves thrown in (no one wants to run a 10K anymore). And within two years it's onto 100 milers or or five day endurance challenges in Alps or Andes.

--- End quote ---

Why go balls to walls for a 10k and finish midpack when you can walk a marathon and get cheered for finishing last?  In an ironman, the last person to cross the line gets more cheers than the winner.   I knew a person that purposefully tried to be last, he was the president of the local tri club🤨

SnarlyMarly:
I am living up to my name today😂

I better get on that ultra and I can change my name back to foxy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version