Author Topic: Nutrition and fitness for bulking up a bit  (Read 2715 times)

Offline kawasa

• Passed on to another Brane
Nutrition and fitness for bulking up a bit
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
I'd like to start eating healthier and putting on a little muscle but I'm a naturally super thin guy. I was wondering if someone could point me towards a book, website, training service, etc.

About all I know how to do fitness wise is get into shape for distance running and that just makes me thinner. I'm 5'10'' and around 150 pounds and I know I'm not going to turn out like Arnold but I'd like to put some mass on and I just have no idea where to start.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:50:47 PM by kawasa »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Nutrition and fitness for bulking up a bit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »
so there's this thing called crossfit...

When I wanted to put on muscle BC, I used a TRX.  That might be a nice option for you if you're traveling a lot right now.  There are a couple of books I like, too.  I'll pull the names later; have guests come soon.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline kawasa

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
so there's this thing called crossfit...

When I wanted to put on muscle BC, I used a TRX.  That might be a nice option for you if you're traveling a lot right now.  There are a couple of books I like, too.  I'll pull the names later; have guests come soon.

I deserved that.

I had to look those things up. I'd appreciate that, have fun!

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Thanks!  It's been a crazy busy but fun weekend.  So here are a few things to look into:

Books: Bigger, Leaner, Stronger; Power, Speed, Endurance; Unbreakable runner.  The latter two were written by CrossFitters who are into running and using cf to strengthen for better running.  I think you'd really like the last one as there are a ton of exercises in the back.  While I'm suggesting books, I love Running Rewired.  It's like a cookbook for running mobility and strength exercises to avoid or deal with biomechanical issues.

If there's an HIIT gym near you and you're open to a little training, that can be a great way to go.  Even if you only hit a few classes they'll teach some of the more complex lifts, you'll get an idea of the combos you like and the social aspect can be fun.  HIIT is a great approach to working out.  And good HIIT places will have you move in all planes; a lot of times we runners don't do anything laterally or with plyometric movement (other than the bit of bounce to run).  Both help us tremendously.  And then the core work will translate to gains on the track/road/trail as well.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US