Forum > The Open Pub

Read any good books lately?

(1/3) > >>

tenacious1:
DS2 is trying to find a new piece for competition this year. They normally take something interesting/compelling/dramatic and "cut it" down to a 10 minute speech/performance.

I've seen some very good pieces that address slavery, battered women, and tiger moms. However, none of these "issues" is right for a white male. In other words, his portrayal of a tiger mom might be spot on but judges might find it insulting to Asians.

The more current the source, the better because then it's less likely others are using it.

Any ideas?

tenacious1:
Has anyone read Cuckoo Calling by Robert Galbraith J.K. Rowling? He's going to try "cutting" it as a humorous interp piece. It's got interesting characters that can be taken "over the top", two murders, and a surprise twist at the end.

Any other ideas?

srsly:
Not sure I can help. I am reading a fictionalized story about Auguste Escoffier called "White Truffles in Winter" by NM Kelby. It sucks big time. Can't stand the lengthy/wordy over dramatic style of writing. I generally prefer non-fiction. This novel is full of made-up stories intertwined with real events that makes it obvious that the writer knows so much about cooking and about Paris, but not enough to be believable. I'm not sure your son would enjoy reading it. As a history enthusiast, foodie and a Francophile, I actually hate it. It wouldn't be interesting to anyone else who have no interest in either.

Sorry I got nuttin.

Natasha:
The Count of Monte Cristo? I can't think of anything current.

How does he learn his technique? It sounds a bit like Drunk History. I'm sure his stories are much smarter.  :d

ihop:
I have read Cuckoo's Calling.  It is enjoyable and the main character, a PI, can definitely be compelling. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version