Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 58865 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2019, 09:36:31 PM »
Awesome, thanks. I need to get some rye or whole wheat flour tomorrow.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »
I've now switched mine from being an all purpose flour starter to one that is half AP and half rye.  O
It just seems to be more predictable and more robust when it's half rye.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
They are changing stone cat for 2019 to a single 50k race.  Will you do it too?  I will check out Pisgah....

Whoa, I had no idea. I would do the 50k. Will see what I can find out.

and the bread all looks fabulous ladies, just outside my skills...

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
Whoa, I had no idea. I would do the 50k. Will see what I can find out.

and the bread all looks fabulous ladies, just outside my skills...

That no knead sandwich roll recipe RA posted is super easy... We managed to use the entire batch! Prepping a second batch either today or tomorrow.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »
Just popping in to say how much we like the RA sandwich rolls! I'm trying to cut carbs, so only making them for DH, but they're so easy and so much better than what he'd buy at the store. It's a nice break from work to run in and prep it and he loves them.

I haven't made the rye bread again, mainly because it's a fair bit of time for a loaf that doesn't seem to last very long. I bought a second hand bread maker, so may experiment and see if I can figure out how to use the bread machine and if that makes things easier.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
Yay! I'm glad, Picote!

I had read that you can do the second rise on the no-knead style bread in a cold pan while the oven pre-heats (so bread in a cold pan in a cold oven). So, I tried that today and the results were "meh". The rolls rose a bit but came out pretty flat. We'll see what they are like when we eat them later. I did try brushing them with milk before baking and they came out beautifully golden & shiny, though!

I am hoping to procure a little whole wheat flour to try getting a starter going maybe later today.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
My sourdough starter spilled in the fridge. :( I need to find a better container for it and then start another one.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
Mmm, yeah, I don't like the cold oven start either.  I've been doing second rise on parchment so I can slide it into either the dutch oven or onto the stone.

Oh no Natasha! I hope it cleans up OK.

I use this because it's not tippy...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Extra-Wide-Half-Gallon-Decorative-Mason-Jar-with-Metal-Lid-Clear-64-Ounces/153364855

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:14 PM »
I really need to buy a crockpot for my baking. I also need to replace my long broken baking stone. Or maybe a steel. Any preferences between stone & steel?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »
I haven't baked on steel but I hear it is all the rage.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
it depends on your desired outcome.  i typically prefer the steel - it's faster, more complete baking, with better spring. 

i use the stone when i'm making something which needs a "wetter" bake - like italian bread.  'though i suspect i could steam just as well using the steel (i'd just have to pay more attention).

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »
I have such a tiny kitchen. I don't know if I can really justify either one! Let alone both! I did read that the stone & steel together make a great combo for pizzas because the steel will stay hot between pies.

Continuing my experimentation... I made a batch of the Brotchen posted upthread. The problem with that recipe is that it takes 2 days and it's kind of finicky (knead every hour, then form, then chill for 3 hours, then bake). Apparently it does not hold well. It needs to bake after 3 hours in the fridge-- and 8 rolls is too many and it's too finicky to make every other day! After reading KA's blog post about freezing rolls, I decided to try it. So, after I formed them I stuck them in the freezer. Yesterday, I got an ok-- but not great result. Today, I set my oven to proof & kind of forgot about it. Still not AS great as baking per the recipe but much better than yesterday.

Still need to get my starter rollin'

Offline CheryG

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
Lol, total fcuking fail last night with the sourdough.  Tried a recpe with an autolyse, didn't trust the ratios given, it looked too dry.  So I added water... yeah... no.

Rescue bake today, as I need it for dinner tonight. Fingers crossed!

It was a weird night for bread, I also made a honey graham oat bread and it proofed, both rises, in like 30 minutes.  Odd. And I know I had the yeast right.  Luckily, unlike my sourdough, it tastes great.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
Recipe for the graham bread- it's really good.  And proofs fast, sometimes, lol! (Was fine the first time...)
https://www.breadexperience.com/honey-graham-oatmeal-bread-in-mountains/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:23:52 AM by CheryG »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:10 AM »
I finally started my sourdough starter. Yesterday it had like 1 bubble. This morning  it has like tripled in size.  Do I let it go for 24 hours or feed it early?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »
Thanks, I just started a new starter so that’s handy. I want to try the raisin bread. Maybe the popovers as well.

I used the pizza one last time and liked it. The pancakes were just ok.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2019, 11:27:51 AM »
Natasha-- how is your starter doing?

I am on "day 4" with mine. Yesterday it was so vigorous and seemed right on track to go to 12 hour feedings. But, it has been kinda "meh" ever since. It's bubbly but not doubling in size. The KA article seems to suggest keeping the faith & just keep feeding it. I started it with 100% ww and then switched to AP like they said. Yesterday I did 1/2 ww/ap for my 2nd feeding and put it in the oven with the light on to give it a little boost and still... meh. A little bubbly and it smells like sourdough but not super active. I leave on a trip on Sunday and I KNOW my husband will not feed it while I'm away-- so I really need to get it to refrigeration stage.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2019, 08:05:00 PM »
Natasha-- how is your starter doing?

I am on "day 4" with mine. Yesterday it was so vigorous and seemed right on track to go to 12 hour feedings. But, it has been kinda "meh" ever since. It's bubbly but not doubling in size. The KA article seems to suggest keeping the faith & just keep feeding it. I started it with 100% ww and then switched to AP like they said. Yesterday I did 1/2 ww/ap for my 2nd feeding and put it in the oven with the light on to give it a little boost and still... meh. A little bubbly and it smells like sourdough but not super active. I leave on a trip on Sunday and I KNOW my husband will not feed it while I'm away-- so I really need to get it to refrigeration stage.

I just started it yesterday using rye flour. It was really dense and I wasn’t expecting much but it has at least tripled in size and smells like beer.

I’m sure your starter is still active. Maybe it’s running out of food?

+-SUPPORT US