Author Topic: Could it be my running shoes?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline RunSusanRun

• Borderline
Could it be my running shoes?
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
During a 5K race on Aug 16, my left calf got extremely tight (almost to the point of painful) halfway through.  I kept running, hoping it would work itself out, but it didn't.  Did RICE, ART, a lot more stretching & didn't run for 5 days.  Went back easy.  Did one mile every other day...got up to doing 4 or 5 miles whenever I ran.  Same thing happened (very tight calf) during a 5K this past Saturday (I was running slower than normal during a race).  Took it easy again this week.  Going for ART after work.

I switched running shoes in June.  Went from Mizuno Wave Alchemy (discontinued) to Brooks Adrenaline (tried 3 others in between which I didn't like).  I'm hoping it's just coincidence because I love the Brooks.  But...could it be the change in running shoes? 

I went to a "sports medicine" orthopedist today, which was a waste of time (took an x-ray, which was fine, but he didn't have any advice except for PT and to stop running when it hurts - DUH!).  Will continue with ART more frequently & hope it works itself out. 

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: Could it be my running shoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
My calf muscle was cramping during races; usually while going up a hill.  It wasn't something that was painful or even noticeable if it weren't for all of the runners who started passing me while it cramped.  My solution was to stretch it multiple times a day.  It was almost healed when, while not paying attention, I smashed my knee into my daughter's car.  The next day, my calf muscle would cramp whenever my leg was bent at 90 degrees.  It also seemed that my shins, quads and hamstring were part of the problem.  So, using the stick and foam roller while also stretching multiple times a day since last February, when I smashed my knee, has me running faster than last year without my calf cramping.  Wearing much lighter racing flats has also helped.

Switching worn trainers for new (same model) also helped.  Quite often, when a muscle has lost flexibility, it take a long time to heal. 

+-SUPPORT US