Author Topic: Hoka hoopla.  (Read 21657 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Hoka hoopla.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Arc- join the bondi 3 haters club :D hopefully I can try on the Clifton's this week and compare them to the Skechers.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
thought it was this guy ;)

Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »
A bit off subject, if it's own-ay own-ay (with the pronunciation listed on pretty much all of their sites), why do so many reviews, including a sponsored runner for them and their own videos, continue to say won won?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
Maybe because the Hoka's full brand name is Hoka One One?

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
Maybe because the Hoka's full brand name is Hoka One One?
I know, but according to its sites, it's pronounced hoe-kah oh-nay oh-nay, meaning to fly over the Earth...it's not the number 1...

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
I don't care how to pronounce it, just leave the one one off.  I just ran an 8.9 mile leg at the Reach The Beach Relay pain free.  When I get my mojo back and up my mileage for marathon training I'll let you know if I still love them.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »
I think I might check out the Clifton's for my next pair...I'm really curious...

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
I got the Cliftons this week. They feel cushiony but hot!  :-\ I don't like sweaty feet.

I really wanted the trail runners but the arch felt too high.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I did my long run last weekend (17) in Cliftons and plan on doing 19 this weekend in them.  They might be my marathon shoe!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »
I got the Cliftons this week. They feel cushiony but hot!  :-\ I don't like sweaty feet.

I really wanted the trail runners but the arch felt too high.

I don't think they're hot.  Their uppers are super thin.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
I don't think they're hot.  Their uppers are super thin.

I feel the same way.  The bulky part of Hokas is the the part you step on.  Just the way it should be. 

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »
I did my long run last weekend (17) in Cliftons and plan on doing 19 this weekend in them.  They might be my marathon shoe!

I think it might take my musculature several runs in them to get used to the cushion - rebound effect.  In an odd way they can feel a bit fatiguing, then after a couple of miles you adjust to the rhythm of the cushion rebound and they feel great.

For us non running store employees it is nice to know there are some deals out there on Hokas.  I just ordered another model, the Stinson Trail, last year's color for $99 at runningwarehouse.com.  They should be a good winter shoe.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
I just ordered another model, the Stinson Trail, last year's color for $99 at runningwarehouse.com.  They should be a good winter shoe.

If you do any trail running, you will love this model.  If you don't run on trails, I bet you will love the Stinsons anyway.  I have even played tennis in them.  Fabulous shoe. 

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »
I agree.  I have the Stinson Trail and I used it mostly on roads last winter.  Great for sloppy conditions. 

Because the midsole is so soft, Hoka trail models run on roads much more comfortably than traditional trail shoes.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
Everyone keeps comparing the fit to mazuno...which are way too wide for me. Do hokas come in narrow?

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Hokas do not come in narrow.    They are very roomy.  I take a 1/2 down from my normal running shoe.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
Damn...I definately cannot try them then. The cushioning sounds awesome for this fatty.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
The Skechers are narrow and cushy but short life span. Skechers go run ultras.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
I'm definitely picking some up next week to replace my shitty, worn out Filas...I've been beating my PF and legs to death this summer with cheapo shoes...tell me awesome things about them, I want to get excited!  :)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »
I'm definitely picking some up next week to replace my shitty, worn out Filas...I've been beating my PF and legs to death this summer with cheapo shoes...tell me awesome things about them, I want to get excited!  :)

I've been running for a long time.  My first pair of running shoes were "Pumas." Big old bricks with leather uppers, but they were far superior to the shoes most other people were wearing at the time, and I actually won some races in those things.  I won't be winning any races these days regardless of what shoes I wear.  But I can tell you that the Hokas are my hands down favorite running shoe ever.  I've run in Nike, Saucony, New Balance, Addidas, Brooks, Mizuno, and a few other brands I can't remember.  Hokas are far and away the best.  Get excited. 

+-SUPPORT US