Author Topic: Hoka hoopla.  (Read 21656 times)

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
Hoka hoopla.
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
What's the big deal with these Hoka One One shoes?  A lot of runners are raving over them.  Even our esteemed overly verbose over the hill former semi elite former poster bought a pair (according to Facebook).  I'm coming off a partially torn calf muscle, the worst running injury I've had in a long time and I've thought about buying a pair.  Until I started reading some reviews.  Some folks say they wear out and fall apart after very few uses.  I guess you can't cheat the law of physics and material engineering.  If something is going to be that light and that cushioned at the same time it's certainly not going to last.

When I was a running newbie back in 1999-2000 I tried several brands, Adidas, Nike, Puma.  I even tried some Reeboks.  They were very light with huge thick cushioning.  And they wore out fast too.

So what's the deal?  Anybody running in them?

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: Hoka hoopla.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
I run in them.   Not exclusively, but I have an extensive running shoe collection b/c of my job.

They are incredibly cushioned and incredibly comfortable.  They have been very popular with the ultra and mountain running crowd.  They protect you over all those miles and technical trails and descents.

I think they last longer than traditional running shoes.  The new Hoka OneOne models coming out now are impossibly light, considering how cushy they are.   They are comparing the new HokaOneOne Clifton to the Saucony Kinvara!

It's the fastest growing brand in the running specialty market right now.   I like them a lot.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »
My ex has a pair and he loves them.  He is nursing a knee that really needs knee replacement surgery and they were recommended to him by someone else who had knee problems.  The additional cushion/shock absorption seem to help. (That and cortizone shots, except the shots are $1200 a pop, which is kind of a bear with a higher deductible policy).
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:16:48 PM »
I have been running in them for 3-4 years and love them. The newest ones fit my foot not great, so i am in a hiatus shoe until the newer models come out with better uppers. I have not tried the Cliftons yet though. They are just great shoes and they last really long (like 4-5 months for me). I am wearing a Skechers now and it will most likely last one month, HOWEVER, i paid $55 for them and hokas are about $165, so not awful.

I have no decided what i will wear at my race in a few weeks. My last pair of the old Hokas probably won't fall apart completely during the race, but they are pretty old.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
I volunteered at the Wasatch 100 this past weekend and I'd say that at least 75% of the runners there were in Hokas. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
I keep waivering on these.. I almost clicked the pay from my shopping cart but really wasn't sure of sizing..

Caito do you know if they run true to shoe size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Good question!  I normally wear an 8 in running shoes but I wear a 7.5 in Hokas.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »

Good question!  I normally wear an 8 in running shoes but I wear a 7.5 in Hokas.

Ok I normally wear a 10 shoe, 11 in my brooks and the hoka looked like it had up to 10.5 in women's.. Maybe I'll try that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »
Hokas go to women's 11 and some are "unisex" and I get them in men sizing (10.5).
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
In men's sizes runningwarehouse.com's "shoe finder" matches them up perfectly with my Mizunos.  But since I've worn Mizunos for the last six years I'll probably try them on at my local shop tomorrow and pay FFR if I like them.  I've got the RTB Relay coming up Friday and I've run very little since this injury 16 days ago.  I don't want to wait for shipping since I want to try them out first before the relay.  Maybe I'll bump into you there Caito!

siamesedream

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:44:38 AM »
I hear they make quite a ruckus.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
I am going to try on the Cliftons this week and see how they fit my foot, though not too hopeful since every other model with the new material for the upper did not work for me.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
With the day off today I went downtown and bought a pair of Clifton's.  They fit a lot like Mizunos, a tiny bit narrower in the forefoot but plenty of room for me.  The uppers are so thin it is imperative they mirror the shape of your foot.  You don't want to be swimming around in these.  Standing up after trying them on it felt like suddenly someone installed more padding under the carpeting.  I immediately went out on the bike path for 5.4 miles, mostly flat but one hill and one descent.  What I noticed immediately was I didn't have to worry about every foot landing on a bump or uneven pavement.  I always liked minimalist shoes but I'm realizing my Mizuno Elixirs were sending too much shock up my legs.

I don't think it will take me much time to get used to the Hokas.  They do feel like clown shoes when you're walking in them though so I'll use them only for running.  I'll save the Mizunos for a change of pace and track workouts.  Now let's hope these Hokas can last for 500 miles.

Is there a name for this new category yet?  I call them maximum minimalist shoes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
maximus shoes.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
I'm still wearing my first pair of Hokas.  Almost five months in and they look a little ragged around the edges.  But still feel plenty cushy, so I'll keep wearing this pair a while longer.  I was so happy with them that I bought another pair almost immediately to hold in reserve. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
I probably get 500-600 miles out of a pair of Hokas. I am going to try on the Cliftons Thursday if I can fit it in before work.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
What amazed me was that my injured calf felt about 90% better running in the Hokas.  The past two weeks I'd take a few days off then run with a neoprene compression sleeve over the calf.  About thirty minutes in the pain would show up and the calf would be sore for days afterward, then I'd take a few days off again.  I guess I'm stubborn.  I feel like I can cheat my form a bit in these springy shoes and use less calf, arch and toes in pushing off.  The shoes take away a lot of the shock in landing and have a springiness that propels you through the push off.  I'm sure when the calf is fully healed I'll be able to run faster in these.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
What's the big deal with these Hoka One One shoes? 

I feel like I can cheat my form a bit in these springy shoes and use less calf, arch and toes in pushing off.  The shoes take away a lot of the shock in landing and have a springiness that propels you through the push off.  I'm sure when the calf is fully healed I'll be able to run faster in these.

Good question, good answer.

Offline arc918

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
I'm been running in them for a while now, I probably went thru 4+ pairs of Bondi B (or 2). I found the Bondi 3 unwearable (so I bought up more Bondi B on clearance).

I bought a pair of Cliftons and I like them. They are the minimalist version of a maximalist shoe = pretty much a regular shoe. So now I''m rotating between my last pair of Bondi B and the new Cliftons.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Some of my hip resurfacing running friends swear by them.  I wouldn't mind trying them, but my trusty old Asics work just fine.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:25:41 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Arc- join the bondi 3 haters club :D hopefully I can try on the Clifton's this week and compare them to the Skechers.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
thought it was this guy ;)

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »
A bit off subject, if it's own-ay own-ay (with the pronunciation listed on pretty much all of their sites), why do so many reviews, including a sponsored runner for them and their own videos, continue to say won won?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
Maybe because the Hoka's full brand name is Hoka One One?

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
Maybe because the Hoka's full brand name is Hoka One One?
I know, but according to its sites, it's pronounced hoe-kah oh-nay oh-nay, meaning to fly over the Earth...it's not the number 1...

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
I don't care how to pronounce it, just leave the one one off.  I just ran an 8.9 mile leg at the Reach The Beach Relay pain free.  When I get my mojo back and up my mileage for marathon training I'll let you know if I still love them.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »
I think I might check out the Clifton's for my next pair...I'm really curious...

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
I got the Cliftons this week. They feel cushiony but hot!  :-\ I don't like sweaty feet.

I really wanted the trail runners but the arch felt too high.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I did my long run last weekend (17) in Cliftons and plan on doing 19 this weekend in them.  They might be my marathon shoe!

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »
I got the Cliftons this week. They feel cushiony but hot!  :-\ I don't like sweaty feet.

I really wanted the trail runners but the arch felt too high.

I don't think they're hot.  Their uppers are super thin.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
I don't think they're hot.  Their uppers are super thin.

I feel the same way.  The bulky part of Hokas is the the part you step on.  Just the way it should be. 

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »
I did my long run last weekend (17) in Cliftons and plan on doing 19 this weekend in them.  They might be my marathon shoe!

I think it might take my musculature several runs in them to get used to the cushion - rebound effect.  In an odd way they can feel a bit fatiguing, then after a couple of miles you adjust to the rhythm of the cushion rebound and they feel great.

For us non running store employees it is nice to know there are some deals out there on Hokas.  I just ordered another model, the Stinson Trail, last year's color for $99 at runningwarehouse.com.  They should be a good winter shoe.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
I just ordered another model, the Stinson Trail, last year's color for $99 at runningwarehouse.com.  They should be a good winter shoe.

If you do any trail running, you will love this model.  If you don't run on trails, I bet you will love the Stinsons anyway.  I have even played tennis in them.  Fabulous shoe. 

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »
I agree.  I have the Stinson Trail and I used it mostly on roads last winter.  Great for sloppy conditions. 

Because the midsole is so soft, Hoka trail models run on roads much more comfortably than traditional trail shoes.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
Everyone keeps comparing the fit to mazuno...which are way too wide for me. Do hokas come in narrow?

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Hokas do not come in narrow.    They are very roomy.  I take a 1/2 down from my normal running shoe.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
Damn...I definately cannot try them then. The cushioning sounds awesome for this fatty.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
The Skechers are narrow and cushy but short life span. Skechers go run ultras.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
I'm definitely picking some up next week to replace my shitty, worn out Filas...I've been beating my PF and legs to death this summer with cheapo shoes...tell me awesome things about them, I want to get excited!  :)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »
I'm definitely picking some up next week to replace my shitty, worn out Filas...I've been beating my PF and legs to death this summer with cheapo shoes...tell me awesome things about them, I want to get excited!  :)

I've been running for a long time.  My first pair of running shoes were "Pumas." Big old bricks with leather uppers, but they were far superior to the shoes most other people were wearing at the time, and I actually won some races in those things.  I won't be winning any races these days regardless of what shoes I wear.  But I can tell you that the Hokas are my hands down favorite running shoe ever.  I've run in Nike, Saucony, New Balance, Addidas, Brooks, Mizuno, and a few other brands I can't remember.  Hokas are far and away the best.  Get excited. 

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 12:30:12 AM »
Hokas are far and away the best.  Get excited. 
:)  Thanks...

I was a Mizuno man for years...but decided I'd try and go cheaper...which was fine for the last year or two, but the beating is catching up to me and affecting my training...

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
The Skechers are narrow and cushy but short life span. Skechers go run ultras.

Somehow I own like 20 pairs of sketchers but none of them are running shoes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
Somehow I own like 20 pairs of sketchers but none of them are running shoes.
:D

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Putting in my order tonight....size up, down or norm?  This should be my last week of running in shitty shoes!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
I have to go down 1/2 size from my running shoe size.

So that's actually my dress shoe size.  :D

Others have found that they're true to running shoe size though.   They are roomy!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »
I found them true to size.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
True to size here.  I.e., 1/2 half size up from dress shoes, just like all the other running shoes I've ever worn. 

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
Putting in my order tonight....size up, down or norm?  This should be my last week of running in shitty shoes!

It doesn't matter where you buy them just go to runningwarehouse.com first and use their shoe fitter app.  They have a 3D graphic comparison of any brand of shoe with whatever you're currently wearing.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
It doesn't matter where you buy them just go to runningwarehouse.com first and use their shoe fitter app.  They have a 3D graphic comparison of any brand of shoe with whatever you're currently wearing.
:ok:  Thanks, y'all...

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Bam...shipped...

Now, off to break my legs in these broken down clodhoppers!

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
UPS just delivered the Stinson Trails I ordered.  Goofiest looking I running shoes I've ever seen.  Real good fit though and I actually like their speed laces.  I'll probably try them out this Saturday.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
UPS just delivered the Stinson Trails I ordered.  Goofiest looking I running shoes I've ever seen.  Real good fit though and I actually like their speed laces.  I'll probably try them out this Saturday.

Somebody (trotter?) described it as running with futons strapped to your feet.   :roll:  Pretty much.  You certainly aren't going to win any beauty contests.  But I love the no-lace laces.  I used to retrofit all my running shoes with laces like that but the Hokas come with them out of the box. 

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
My experience:

I'm 3 runs (26 miles together) into the Cliftons...the first run, I was not impressed, but I attribute that to reading insanely stellar reviews for 2 weeks straight...my heel was killing me, and my gait seemed off...

My second run was a 12 miler, and my time was faster than my effort would indicate....less pain...

My third run, yesterday, was awesome...my legs were far less thrashed from the day before than I expected, and my PF/heel pain was small enough to almost ignore...as long as they hold up (I'm showing a little wear on a high abrasion area), I'm sold...due to the price, they'll have to hold me for 600 or so miles to be worth it...but, they don't have to hold up perfect for that long...they'll be my new shoe if they last...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »
I think they can last for 600 miles. Not much more.

My race this weekend was the first time in a couple years Hokas was not the most represented shoe, it was Altras. My husband likes them, I do not. My Skechers were great and handled the trails well for a hybrid shoe. Still miss wearing hokas :( I met a few people at the race who could not wear the newer ones either, so hopefully the next ones will be changed for the best.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
Well  I didn't try out the Stinson Trails last weekend after all.  Instead I concentrated on two days of lethargy.

Fionn, I said earlier they do need some time in getting used to.  I've gone over 70 miles in my Cliftons and I'm still scuffing the soles on the pavement occasionally.  I attribute that to three things:  My Mizunos Elixirs that I'm so accustomed to have a thin sole and heel in comparison to Hoka, I probably still weigh a bit too much for the cushiony spring to propel me enough off the ground, and I'm a natural marathon shuffler who barely skims over the roads anyway.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
Well  I didn't try out the Stinson Trails last weekend after all.  Instead I concentrated on two days of lethargy.

Fionn, I said earlier they do need some time in getting used to.  I've gone over 70 miles in my Cliftons and I'm still scuffing the soles on the pavement occasionally.  I attribute that to three things:  My Mizunos Elixirs that I'm so accustomed to have a thin sole and heel in comparison to Hoka, I probably still weigh a bit too much for the cushiony spring to propel me enough off the ground, and I'm a natural marathon shuffler who barely skims over the roads anyway.
I totally get what you mean, now...

One thing I really like, I'm a heel striker, which if any of you are, you know that that is essentially driving your energy into the ground and putting on the breaks with each step...the medial rocker stuff, REALLY helps for a smoother transition from heel to mid/forefoot...after my first run, I was afraid that the hype was from cork sniffers with their godamned rose hips and woody notes, so I'm really glad I stuck with them...

+-SUPPORT US