Author Topic: How important is pace in a long run?  (Read 4997 times)

siamesedream

How important is pace in a long run?
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
Should you be more concerned with making sure you put in X number of miles, or should pace be a priority?

I tend to think putting in the miles takes precedence.

What does the high mileage crowd think?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: How important is pace in a long run?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:14 AM »
I lean towards miles over pace. That is what the shorter runs are for.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
Yup, it's getting the body use to the miles and not the pace for the long stuff.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »
If you mean race pace, then no, not on long runs (except that a few miles at goal pace toward the end of a LR can do a lot of good). I do think it's important to keep a consistent pace on long runs, so I'm careful that way, but I err on the side of slower when in doubt.
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

siamesedream

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Thanks for your input.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
I actually wanted to post something similar, so I will see if this yields me some input.  I know running at a slower pace than race pace is beneficial for long runs.  That slower pace, however, I can only achieve when I actively think of it.  Whenever my mind starts wandering in training, I find myself at race pace.  That pace just seems to come naturally to me.

siamesedream

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
I actually wanted to post something similar, so I will see if this yields me some input.  I know running at a slower pace than race pace is beneficial for long runs.  That slower pace, however, I can only achieve when I actively think of it.  Whenever my mind starts wandering in training, I find myself at race pace.  That pace just seems to come naturally to me.

That's interesting. Even when I was running a lot of 5ks most of my long runs topped out at 10 miles. I supposed if you're more of a half marathon/marathon type racer you can probably do long runs at race pace.

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »

Pace for what distance race though? There's a big difference between 5K pace and marathon pace (at least there SHOULD be).

If you are running all your runs at "race pace" for a HM, then one of two things is happening. You are either running all of your easy runs too fast, or you aren't really racing on race day.

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
If you are running all your runs at "race pace" for a HM, then one of two things is happening. You are either running all of your easy runs too fast, or you aren't really racing on race day.

Also, all your runs are shorter than 13 miles -- it's physically impossible to run longer than a HM at HM race pace unless, as Carson says, your race pace isn't.
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline Reebok tread

• Turgid
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
First question to ask is what are your objectives?

siamesedream

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »
I might do some 5ks in the winter. Most long runs for a 5k runner should be at least 3 x the distance from what I've been reading.

I don't think running longer than 10 miles is that useful for a recreational type 5k runner, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
Pace for what distance race though? There's a big difference between 5K pace and marathon pace (at least there SHOULD be).

Marathon pace is what I run in my long runs. 

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »
That's interesting. Even when I was running a lot of 5ks most of my long runs topped out at 10 miles. I supposed if you're more of a half marathon/marathon type racer you can probably do long runs at race pace.

More the opposite, really. My best distance - by far and away - is the marathon, and running at marathon pace is HARD.

To answer the original question, mileage and time on feet are more important than pace for long runs. My longest long runs end up taking me around the same amount of time as a marathon race.

+-SUPPORT US