Author Topic: Weekend Race report 2 August 2014  (Read 2754 times)

Chris the Wheeler

Weekend Race report 2 August 2014
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
People always ask wheelchair racers, "what do you do when it rains?" Well, we get wet. So, that's what happened at the 2014 36th Annual Cape Cod Irish Pub Road Race. To quote Bill Murray in Caddyshack, " I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite awhile." And it didn't. Although we had enough to make the push rims slippery and our gloves wet. We plodded along at some remarkably slower speeds. Only two wheelers showed up this year, but we had a good race going. The lead passed back and forth 4 or 5 times between Chris McGarry and Chris Ahearn (me) for about the fist 3 miles. A little after 3 miles, about at the watertank, McGarry started to drop back, but remanded in striking distance. As long as we remained on the hills I could keep a little bit of a lead. Every now and then, I could look over my shoulder and see he was still back there in line of sight. Runners that passed on the uphills were giving me position reports. I needed a good lead as we got back out onto Route 28 as McGarry being a track racer and sprinter at heart would take advantage of the flat road and catch me. I was able to cross the finish first, but not by much. McGarry was right behind me.

Chris Ahearn : 37:12
Chris McGarry ; 38:24
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:13:05 AM by Chris the Wheeler »

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Weekend Race report 2 August 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »
Nice.   :ok:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Weekend Race report 2 August 2014