Author Topic: Fall marathon plans?  (Read 28780 times)

Offline caito

• The Runners
Fall marathon plans?
« on: June 18, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
I am currently mulling over whether or not I'm going to commit and run a fall marathon.

I'm thinking the Richmond Marathon on 11/15.   I'm just trying to make sure I'm ready & willing to commit to the time, training, and really work at it instead of just get through the training. 

What are you guys doing?  Inspire me! 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
Re: Fall marathon plans?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
I am currently mulling over whether or not I'm going to commit and run a fall marathon.

I'm thinking the Richmond Marathon on 11/15.   I'm just trying to make sure I'm ready & willing to commit to the time, training, and really work at it instead of just get through the training. 

What are you guys doing?  Inspire me! 
Right now, I'm increasing a 50 mpw base to 60 (and touching on 70), with marathon training proper starting October...my intent is a BQ in the Tallahassee Marathon the first week of Feb...or bust....

Not exactly a fall marathon, but it is consuming my every waking thought, so...

Offline kevin871

• The Runners
    • My Running Log
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »
I am running in the NYC Marathon on Nov 2. I start marathon training on June 29!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
Iam looking at some small marathons as possibilities. No big events for me.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »
The second annual running of the Hambletonian Marathon & Good Time Trotters Relay!

Goshen, NY. Oct. 19
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
My grandparents live in Goshen!  Is the marathon on the bike trail there? 

I think October 19th might be too soon for me.   Or not.  Is it a really small race?
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
My grandparents live in Goshen!  Is the marathon on the bike trail there? 

I think October 19th might be too soon for me.   Or not.  Is it a really small race?

DO IT!

I think so - there was a few miles through a pleasant park setting. I ran it last year (I think you mentioned the grand'rents then too).

This is a very good race. First rate organization. Smaller - I think about 400 full and a couple of hundred relay runners. You finish with a lap around the horse track.

Hambletonian Marathon & Good Time Trotters Relay- Course Preview

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »
St. George on Oct 4th.  I thought I might try actually training for it this year to mix things up this year.  My training window started a couple weeks ago, but I'm not really following a formal plan.  More just a Hansons-esque type thing where I run a whole bunch of miles almost every day, have a whole bunch of them be fast, and not worry about getting to 20 miles.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
I signed up for a crazy ass trail ultra in October but may consider Harrisburg marathon in November.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
No full, but I do have two 13.1s and a 15K.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »
The timing of the Evil Empire RnR Las Vegas might work out for me. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 05:48:50 AM »
I'm not doing one. I am going to make an all out assault on my HM PR in the fall. Boston 2015 will be my next marathon.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 06:15:12 AM »
Now a friend is talking up Philly to me.  What is extra appealing is that training won't get serious tip AFTER summer vacation...

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 07:00:09 AM »

Now a friend is talking up Philly to me.  What is extra appealing is that training won't get serious tip AFTER summer vacation...

Everyone I know who ran philly loved it... I will be at the water stop at mile ten and you will have lots of fans cheering you.. Me, Meredith, Amy, among others..

Since I am in for nyc I hope to run it... I really hope my PF holds up through the training... Won't be shooting for any prs or anything...

My "pre training" has started... Right now I can not imagine being able to run a full 26.2 miles :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »

Fine, I'll send gran'ma your regrets.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 07:35:55 AM »
The second annual running of the Hambletonian Marathon & Good Time Trotters Relay!

Goshen, NY. Oct. 19

I ws looking at this one last night, but I am not convinced i want to drive close to the Penn border.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
Everyone I know who ran philly loved it... I will be at the water stop at mile ten and you will have lots of fans cheering you.. Me, Meredith, Amy, among others..

I've heard great things about Philly too - and if you run it, I'll come down and cheer with the other Philly peeps!

No marathon on my list yet, but I am definitely scouting for a good fall HM to tackle my PR goal. Something flat, for a change!
This space for rent.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »
I'm planning to run the Hartford Marathon on October 11.
I haven't run that distance in 10 years !  :e)

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
I ws looking at this one last night, but I am not convinced i want to drive close to the Penn border.

It's only 15 or 20 minutes from the Bear Mt bridge. Got there in < half hour last year.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
50k Bandera trail run in January. I'm thinking about signing up for a half early in the fall to keep me motivated this summer.

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
I'm another one in for NYC.

eeep.
I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
cgraz- you should come do the water stop with us, it is an early morning, but a total blast!!! Are you doing the runners world race again? when is that? i want a free skirt.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
I am running Medoc in France in Sept and plan to run the Stone Cat trail marathon in Nov. Granted I am injured and not really running right now, but my plan is to try and keep up some semblance of cardio until I can run on pavement again without pain. Thankfully Medoc will not be a 'for time' race and I can just try and have fun, but I do need to be able to cover the distance. Stone Cat I care more about and would like to run well.

I love Baystate and ran it 4 times I think and got my BQ there in 2008 and another one in 2011 before they changed the rules. I like that it's 'show up and run' kind of race without a lot of fan fair. I get super anxious and this race doesn't make me anxious.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
cgraz- you should come do the water stop with us, it is an early morning, but a total blast!!! Are you doing the runners world race again? when is that? i want a free skirt.

Yes you so should!  You can stay with me!  I'll probably have my daughters old bed up in the third floor by then and I don't have a definite date for the roommate moving in..

Although.. it's pretty hard to spectate from there with the bazillion runners coming through!

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
I am signed up for the Long Beach Marathon in October.  I have started to ramp up my mileage and start training now.   8)
@artbydmcbride

Offline mtaricani

• Turgid
  • Keep Calm And Run On
    • Old Guy Running
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
I'm doing the Hartford Marathon for the 3rd time. I wasn't picked for NYC again. 2nd try. Last year I had skipped Hartford and ran Newport. Nice race but I missed Hartford. In December I am running the Roxbury Marathon for the 3rd time. Interesting 5 loop race in the country. Last year was a terrible snowstorm but I finished.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
I'm doing the Hartford Marathon for the 3rd time. I wasn't picked for NYC again. 2nd try. Last year I had skipped Hartford and ran Newport. Nice race but I missed Hartford. In December I am running the Roxbury Marathon for the 3rd time. Interesting 5 loop race in the country. Last year was a terrible snowstorm but I finished.

I am thinking about doing this. Registration was closed by the time I tried signing up last year. Have run the half and did another run with those folks. Great bunch.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »
Ok, meri & MoS, I will keep that in mind - will have to plan as it gets closer! That would be really fun.

I'm not sure yet if I'm doing the RW Half again in Bethlehem. After two years, it's kind of a tradition so I'd love to go back, but we'll see how the travel & logistics work this fall. I haven't signed up yet. Free skirts at the mile 6 water stop!  :D
This space for rent.

Offline Annoying Ultrarunner Wannabe

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »

I am signed up for the Long Beach Marathon in October.  I have started to ramp up my mileage and start training now.   8)

Is that a training run for the Monkey?  :)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
More summer than Fall, but I just entered the Jackson Hole Marathon for Saturday August 30th.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
No full but a trail half marathon on October 12th that's my birthday present to myself. A few friends are trying to convince me to run the Backwards Evil Hosewater RnR Denver with them but I'm not feeling it. I'm trying to find some stuff between now and the half to keep me on track
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
I'm planning to run the Hartford Marathon on October 11.
I haven't run that distance in 10 years !  :e)

i shall stand on the sidelines and blow raspberries at your decrepitude.

Offline HobbyJogger

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 01:55:51 AM »
No full but a trail half marathon on October 12th that's my birthday present to myself. A few friends are trying to convince me to run the Backwards Evil Hosewater RnR Denver with them but I'm not feeling it. I'm trying to find some stuff between now and the half to keep me on track

I seem to remember that there is a nice little marathon right near you that starts and finishes in Manitou Springs.

The really nice thing about it is that there is only one hill.
Radical Jogger

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
I seem to remember that there is a nice little marathon right near you that starts and finishes in Manitou Springs.

The really nice thing about it is that there is only one hill.

Haha yes, it is in the next few weeks; the 12K I ran a few weeks back is the pre-cursor to it in the Triple Crown series :)
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
i shall stand on the sidelines and blow raspberries at your decrepitude.

Awesome!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
interesting.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
My training is on track (more or less) for Goshen, but do have an appetite for a second this year. I see Roxbury reg is being stood up on Aug 30. If that doesn't pan out I'll do Brooklyn in Nov. That's only about a month after Goshen but I think that will be enough rest time.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
My training is on track (more or less) for Goshen, but do have an appetite for a second this year. I see Roxbury reg is being stood up on Aug 30. If that doesn't pan out I'll do Brooklyn in Nov. That's only about a month after Goshen but I think that will be enough rest time.

I was thinking about roxbury, too. I doubt they will have 100 runners in the full.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »
I was thinking about roxbury, too. I doubt they will have 100 runners in the full.

Registration opens on Aug 30 @ 12:01 PM.

:)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
Registration opens on Aug 30 @ 12:01 PM.

:)

I have an earlier marathon for which I am signed up. This one, I am not sure; I will only do it if the weather is OK. Having said that, what is there to lose with $15.00?

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
I have an earlier marathon for which I am signed up. This one, I am not sure; I will only do it if the weather is OK. Having said that, what is there to lose with $15.00?

Did you see the pics from last year? One bearded fella looks like he just got back from Antarctica! What's the chances of snow two years in a row... :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
Did you see the pics from last year? One bearded fella looks like he just got back from Antarctica! What's the chances of snow two years in a row... :)

Yes, and i remember that day, too. I wa driving back from RI to Mass and it was very cold and snowy. So, we might meet at roxbury!  I plan to run my fall marathon and walk/run roxbury. So that shoild be my slow one.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:04:04 PM by Ice Cream »

Offline BobM59

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:30 AM »
I'm signed up for BayState.  I'm a marathon rookie, though, so can't say how great or brutal or easy or whatever it is.

Offline JBM

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
Well, I am in the process of canceling my Sept marathon in France (Medoc) due to achilles tendinitis that won't quit. I am signed up for a Nov trail Marathon - StoneCat that I ran the last 2 yrs. I have no idea where I will be health wise by then, but hopefully at least starting to run because I can't take much more of this injury bs.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
I'm signed up for BayState.  I'm a marathon rookie, though, so can't say how great or brutal or easy or whatever it is.

It was by far the "easiest" marathon I ever ran, out of 40+.  I set a PR there. The double loop is great, because you get to rehearse what you will do in the second half.  But it is an unattractive course. For that reason, I would not do it again. Well organized, though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:46:27 AM by Ice Cream »

Offline JBM

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
I love Baystate, I've had my best times there. I qualified for Boston twice there. I ran it at least 4 times for the marathon and 2 for the half. And it's low stress at the start. Easy to park and show up.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
I had my best race ever at the Baystate Marathon.  Carson was there too!  :)

It's very easy to get to, incredibly well-organized with phenomenal water stops.  It's not too crowded.  But the course is boring.  But I think that's what led to my great race -- no distractions, nothing to look at = total focus.

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
It's a good race. I ran a huge PR there. The course has just enough undulations to keep your from hammering just one spot on your legs. I don't look around much when I race, so I can't say that it's more or less boring than any other course.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
Caito which marathon did you end up choosing?

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
Caito which marathon did you end up choosing?
[/quote

not Goshen - boo!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »
I'm planning on Philly…haven't registered yet but will in September.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 04:54:05 PM »
In for Baystate. Have run the marathon three times (pre-kid) and the half...four?...times. Don't love the half there, so I'd prefer to do the marathon at least one more time.

Training is kinda lackluster. I've sort of lost major racing mojo after last year's plethora of half marathons.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

:preen:

I can jump in and keep you company for parts of it if you want.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
JCup: are you involved in the planning/directing of Goshen?

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »

Yay! I'll be at mile ten water stop but will never be able to find you... So e times we do book it to the finish after were done

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »
JCup: are you involved in the planning/directing of Goshen?

nope. just a  :cheerleader: for the full in my backyard.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »

Contemplating a trail marathon in NY state in Mid-September.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »
I'll definitely be in Philly doing the half, too!
This space for rent.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »

Yay!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »

Ok we need to do a meet up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »
Yeah! I will be with my sister and a couple of other friends, and we'll definitely keep in the loop to make a plan. I've already warned them I might have other "running friends" in the area...  :)
This space for rent.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
Yeah! I will be with my sister and a couple of other friends, and we'll definitely keep in the loop to make a plan. I've already warned them I might have other "running friends" in the area...  :)

Ok.. I'm open the entire time.. either Saturday afternoon or after the race on Sunday... I will be at mile ten water stop but can't count on seeing each other there as it's a super crazy water stop!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
Ok sounds good! I'm starting to get excited about plans...both training-wise and travel/logistics.  :)
This space for rent.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
Signed up for a Ragnar relay in October.

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
Signed up for a Ragnar relay in October.

WHEREWHEREWHERE?  Come do Vegas in November with us!  :smokin:

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »
WHEREWHEREWHERE?  Come do Vegas in November with us!  :smokin:

Comfort, Texas. I've never done a Ragnar, but I don't think this one is traditional? It goes in circles.

VEGAS BABY!!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
That is going to be one hilly focking race, you know that, right?

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
Doesn't sound very COMFORTable!  :sidesplit:

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
Not if you stay at the Comfort Inn.   :P

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
That is going to be one hilly focking race, you know that, right?

I live in the Hill Country!!

I did Bandera 25k a couple of years ago, and it can't be any worse than that.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
I have two deal-breakers when it comes to marathons:

(1) There can be no "companion" events, like a half, 5K, 10K, or even a relay.

(2) It can't be a jackass race, which eliminates virtually every race that has over 2000 finishers, including Boston.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »
Didn't organize your own marathon, too?
This space for rent.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
I have two deal-breakers when it comes to marathons:

(1) There can be no "companion" events, like a half, 5K, 10K, or even a relay.

(2) It can't be a jackass race, which eliminates virtually every race that has over 2000 finishers, including Boston.

I have no real opinion about 1, but definitely agree with 2.  If you want to have a small event, then it can often only be profitable with smaller races.  I especially like it when the smaller races start after the marathon.
I ran Boston last in 2010 and I disliked how crowded it is.  Never doing that again.  When I first ran it, it had like 6,000 runners in it. That was manageable.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
I am happy to participate in any marathon willing to have me. I prefer smaller ones, but only because pre-race logistics can be a hassle.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
I'm bad-tempered about all this stuff, so y'all don't take me too seriously, nor should you take my comments personally. I'm happy that running is so popular.  :old:

Didn't organize your own marathon, too?

Yes, I did, and thanks for remembering.  :)  The marathon no longer exists, but I still direct a few other races.

I have no real opinion about 1, but definitely agree with 2.  If you want to have a small event, then it can often only be profitable with smaller races.  I especially like it when the smaller races start after the marathon.
I ran Boston last in 2010 and I disliked how crowded it is.  Never doing that again.  When I first ran it, it had like 6,000 runners in it. That was manageable.

The mega race costs the runner more money, yet the runner is treated more like cattle. The logistics can be nightmarish, there's no hope for good spectating, and so on. The races keep getting bigger and bigger, too, while the organizers cut services to runners. (Witness no bag drop at Boston this year. Witness an attempt to have no bag drop at New York two years ago.) It's all about the $$ for the organizers, and the runners suffer. Yet for some reason the demand for these idiotic events continues to increase. These runners are all about the bling and glitz and the goody bag. Those are not my people and I choose not to race them.

Give me Clarence DeMar in NH. About 250 finishers. The race director stands at the transport buses and shakes every runner's hand as they get on the bus. Amazing, scenic course.

Give me Holyoke (Walter Childs) in MA. No more than 100 finishers. Awesome volunteer support. Amazing post-race feast.

Give me a race where I know my place, so that passing someone (or getting passed) means something.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:49:43 PM by i am party »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »

Give me Clarence DeMar in NH. About 250 finishers. The race director stands at the transport buses and shakes every runner's hand as they get on the bus. Amazing, scenic course.

Give me Holyoke (Walter Childs) in MA. No more than 100 finishers. Awesome volunteer support. Amazing post-race feast.

Did both of these, a long time ago.  I think Holyoke had only 50 runners back then.  And yes about the post-race feast.  I won some kind of award there, too. I don;t remember why, but I ended up with a very nice pair of In Sport running shorts.
I am surprised Clarence Demar is still that small.  I loved the course, but the last miles had some heavier traffic. It's on my list of races to run again, though.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
I live in the Hill Country!!

I did Bandera 25k a couple of years ago, and it can't be any worse than that.

Ok just checking. The land I used to have is just outside of Comfort.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
Did both of these, a long time ago.  I think Holyoke had only 50 runners back then.  And yes about the post-race feast.  I won some kind of award there, too. I don;t remember why, but I ended up with a very nice pair of In Sport running shorts.
I am surprised Clarence Demar is still that small.  I loved the course, but the last miles had some heavier traffic. It's on my list of races to run again, though.

I've done Holyoke twice in the past 6 or so years. Each time I won a pair of running shoes. The race is organized by a running store, so...

The DeMar course has changed a lot, even recently. The course is better than ever.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
I've done Holyoke twice in the past 6 or so years. Each time I won a pair of running shoes. The race is organized by a running store, so...

The DeMar course has changed a lot, even recently. The course is better than ever.

I did Holyoke twice, but over 20 years ago...  Good news about CDM, I already liked the course back then, except for the end.  CDM was an easy course, too.

Offline MoCo

• la la la
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
CDM added a half for this year.  I may run it as part of the 18 I have on the schedule that day.

I like the bigger races because I'm super slow and I like not being last.
I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
CDM added a half for this year. 

Those bastards.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »
I haven't done enough big races to have too strong an opinion...the Philly HM will be the biggest to date. That being said, I have no interest in the big Disney ones (gah!) or the Rock n Roll franchise, just too much for me. The Runner's World things were big, but not crazy, and people really just seemed to be about enjoying running. I loved the seminars and stuff. But iap, you'd hate them...kids' races, dog races, 5K, 10K, half marathon!  :D

Aside from its purpose as a Boston qualifier, you'd probably like the Chasing the Unicorn marathon (just a week or so ago) out this way, by Run Bucks. Or I guess you'd just like their other races, then.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:57:12 PM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
I registered for Philly.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »
I did Marine Corps and loved I, so many interesting people and places, otherwise I like small.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
This space for rent.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
Registered and in training for:
Goshen in Oct
Roxbury in Dec

Hills, baby!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
registered and training so far for two.  May be adding a third one.

Is Goshen a replacement fo Dutchess County Marathon?  I did that years ago and was looking for it again this year.  It seemed to have disappeared.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
I don't think so, IC. I think there is some connection to the folks running the Crystal Light Half @ Rock Hill, Orange Co.

+-SUPPORT US