Author Topic: Now: Help me plan sunday family dinner! Was: Will one roasted chicken be enough?  (Read 12373 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
So, I'm having 7 meat eaters over for dinner on Sunday. I was thinking of roasting a chicken. Will 1 large chicken be enough? I think so. Right?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:34:58 PM by Run Amok »

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Will one roasted chicken be enough?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
No, it will not be enough.  Chickens really aren't that big.  I would say one whole chicken would be good for about 4 adults...probably can push it to 5 if you have a lot of side dishes. 

Another, and probably easier way, is to get enough pieces of chicken to roast.  1. It will be faster to roast chicken this way and 2. it can be slightly easier to plan.  But if you want a whole chicken, you should estimate between 1/2 lbs to 1 lb of meat per person.  Or if you get pieces parts, i would say the equivalent of 1.5-2 whole chickens.  Roast the breasts meat side down if you go this way.  They will stay moist longer and white and dark meat do not cook for the same length (as in dark meat tends to take longer to get to the proper temperature, I have found that roasting in pieces can help cut down this difference but dark meat still takes longer...thus if you put the chicken breast upside down it will stay moist longer.) 

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
Will 1 large chicken be enough?

hell no.

unless every person eats like a bird.

in my ideal world, I'd go with two per chicken, so that each can have one drumstick and one thigh and one wing and one breast.

the pair will have to share the neck, but at least will be able to split the wishbone with joy!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:29:40 AM by mango »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
Ok, well cooking 4 chickens is out! So, hmm. I'll have to come up with something else. A whole roasted chicken is a magical thing- I think something is lost in the chopping up of the bird. Maybe I'll do a roast or lasagna, or something.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
Ok, well cooking 4 chickens is out! So, hmm. I'll have to come up with something else. A whole roasted chicken is a magical thing- I think something is lost in the chopping up of the bird. Maybe I'll do a roast or lasagna, or something.

I agree that a whole chicken definitely presents nicer than cut up chicken. i do disagree about having a whole chicken for every two people. I assume you will be serving stuff besides chicken. My DH and I cannot even finish 1/2 of a chicken between us.  No way could I eat a leg, thigh, and breast PLUS sides. I could eat all that if there were zero sides.  But finding room for two chickens still might be tricky. 

and again, on a roast, assume 1/2 lb- 1 lb of meat per person.  If you have big eaters, err on the side of more meat. Better to have too much than not enough. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
Yep, salad, bread, roasted veggies, plust probably another veggie dish, mashed potatoes. Possibly some snacks for before dinner.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
i always assume 3-4 people per chicken, as long as i have ample # of sides, and serve with rolls.

edit: otherwise, yeah.  2 peeps per shicken.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
What sized chicken are you talking about?  I only cook 3-4lb ones since I think the smaller the better in terms of getting a good dry brine and flavor and those are good for two meals for me and DH but we usually eat a big salad too.  So even a big bird is probably very skimpy for 7 guests.

There are some wonderful and impressive dishes with chicken parts:

Moroccan chicken with apricots and almonds?

I have a GREAT recipe for "Braised chicken in mustard with garlic and mascarpone" from Jody Adams.  I'll pm you the PDF if you're interested.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
I'm looking for something that will be pretty easy to throw together, appeal to the masses, and also be ridiculously good- this isn't a particularly adventurous crowd. I have one oven and a fairly small kitchen to work out of- so the idea of cooking off two chickens is not particularly appealing.

But, I'm open to other ideas!

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
I can pretty much eat a whole one myself  :D
Because PANTS

Offline mango

• The Runners
I can pretty much eat a whole one myself  :D

I know, right?

shicken

heehee

I'm open to other ideas!

buy ready made rotisserie chickens, and do only sides -- à la Sandra Lee aka semi-homemade style.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
Because PANTS

Offline redkitty

Does it have to be chicken?  What about a small turkey?  Cooks the same way as a chicken. 

I have a nice bbq brisket.  It is easy to make, takes about 3 hours in the oven or you could put in the crockpot and cook it 6-7 hours until tender.  A 3lb brisket feeds only about 4-5 people.  I think if you found a 4-6 lb one it would easily feed 7 people and go well with your sides. iF you are interested, PM your email. I have it scanned already. 

Beef stew is easy.  Braised beef tips. 

Oven "Fried" crispy chicken is easy.  You can still serve chicken, and in pieces and it is very easy. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
One chicken? :nono:

Why not make up a couple of pans of basic lasagna (one with meat, one without)?  Pair that with an interesting salad, some decent bread + a good olive oil for dipping, a few bottles of vino, and a simple desert.  Your guests will be impressed all out of proportion to the effort involved. 

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
I also vote lasagna, if you assemble it way ahead of time it only gets better!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
I've been hooked on this website ever since triciaflower posted a soup from it, and I just made this chicken tonight: very good, easy, and attractive.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
I've been hooked on this website ever since triciaflower posted a soup from it, and I just made this chicken tonight: very good, easy, and attractive.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

That looks good! Saving to try later.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline caribougrrl

this time of year you might be able to get a very large chicken (~8lbs) if you know where to find one (farmer's markets, back yard grower), and that would do for sure... two smaller chickens should fit in one roasting pan, so not too much extra work

an ordinary grocery store sized chicken will do 3-4 meals for gf and I, but usually 2 chicken-centered meals, then a couple of chicken in something meals (pizza, pasta, enchiladas)... we might eek out a soup too, but probably just a broth.  So I would use 1 chicken for up to 4 adults, but would do 2 chickens for 7 and expect some leftovers. 

Offline RioG

• The Runners
hell, I've got some 12 lb free range suckers in my freezer.  Too bad I couldn't ship you one! :D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
I think maybe I'll just do lasagna. This thread is exhausting my brain.

+-SUPPORT US