Author Topic: Tomato Sauce Recipies  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Carson

• The Runners
Tomato Sauce Recipies
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »
Sue, should we combine this with the one in the Yammering Forum?

Here is my chunky sauce recipe. I have to type up the smooth one.  I don't think I ever use exactly the ingredient measurements as listed. This will probably be a little salty for most. I would cut the salt in half and then season to taste near the end. That's typically what I will do. Same thing for the black pepper and red pepper flake. Sometimes I will drop a couple tablespoons of butter in at the end as well.

Carson's World (almost) Famous Chunky Tomato Sauce

1 - #10 Can crushed tomatoes
6 T Olive oil
½ lb fresh proscuito (one thick slice)
15 - Cloves garlic
1 - Large onion
2 t - Salt
½ t - Black Pepper
2T — Dried Basil
1T — Dried Oregano
1t — Crushed red pepper
½ C — Brown Sugar
½ C — Sweet Marsala wine
1 -  Small can tomato paste
2T Fresh Basil

Place olive oil in a large saucepan and turn on medium high. Dice proscuito. Dice the onions. Crush and chop the garlic. Add proscuito to the pan when the oil is hot. Sauté for about 3 mins to get the fat to start to soften. Then add the onions. Saute for 3 more mins, then add the garlic. Sauté until the garlic starts to turn nut brown. Deglaze the pan with the marsala wine. Allow to cook on high heat until the alcohol has burned off then remove from heat and add the can of tomatoes and the tomato paste. Stir into the sautéed mixture and then return to the heat that has been reduced to medium.

In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT for the fresh basil, to make your spice pack. When the sauce starts to get warm, add this mixture to the sauce and slowly stir in to make sure the sugar gets evenly distributed. Simmer for about 2 hours. Remove from heat. Chop fresh basil and stir in.

Offline martiniqueeni

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
Re: Tomato Sauce Recipies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »
Anaphase sent me this recipe for Vodka Sauce.   It's outstanding!

Vodka Sauce

4T butter
2 chopped shallots
2T vodka
1/4c heavy cream
2 cups tomato sauce (see below)

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften. Add the vodka, cream, and tomato sauce, and simmer until the flavors blend, 2 to 3 minutes. Top with chopped basil & Italian parsley.

Basic Tomato Sauce (this makes quite a bit, but you can freeze it)

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
4 to 6 basil leaves or 2T dried basil
2 dried bay leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
1/4t red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2t sugar (optional)

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add celery and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until all the vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning. If sauce tastes too acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, to round out the flavor. Add sugar to sweeten it up.

Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

joan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »

Here is my chunky sauce recipe. I have to type up the smooth one.  I don't think I ever use exactly the ingredient measurements as listed. This will probably be a little salty for most. I would cut the salt in half and then season to taste near the end. That's typically what I will do. Same thing for the black pepper and red pepper flake. Sometimes I will drop a couple tablespoons of butter in at the end as well.

6 T Olive oil
15 - Cloves garlic
1 - Large onion
2 t - Salt
½ t - Black Pepper
2T — Dried Basil
1T — Dried Oregano
1t — Crushed red pepper
½ C — Brown Sugar
½ C — Sweet Marsala wine
2T Fresh Basil

Place olive oil in a large saucepan and turn on medium high. Dice proscuito. Dice the onions. Crush and chop the garlic. Add proscuito to the pan when the oil is hot. Sauté for about 3 mins to get the fat to start to soften. Then add the onions. Saute for 3 more mins, then add the garlic. Sauté until the garlic starts to turn nut brown. Deglaze the pan with the marsala wine. Allow to cook on high heat until the alcohol has burned off then remove from heat and add the can of tomatoes and the tomato paste. Stir into the sautéed mixture and then return to the heat that has been reduced to medium.

In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT for the fresh basil, to make your spice pack. When the sauce starts to get warm, add this mixture to the sauce and slowly stir in to make sure the sugar gets evenly distributed. Simmer for about 2 hours. Remove from heat. Chop fresh basil and stir in.

btw, that recipe is totally kick ass!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »
caribougrrl's Tomato Pan Sauce

1 head of garlic (or less if you're afraid of garlic)
1 tin of anchovies
4 medium tomatoes
4 tbsp olive oil
1 c. dry red wine
2 tsp fresh oregano

peel garlic, crush cloves slightly and put aside

rinse anchovies and chop finely; pour boiling water over tomatoes (in a heat proof bowl), let sit for 30 sec., then peel tomatoes and chop coarsely; finely chop oregano

mince garlic

heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over med-high heat; add garlic and sautee until just translucent; add anchovies and sautee a few seconds; add tomatoes and red wine, lower heat to med and cook, stirring occassionally until tomatoes are reduced to a thick sauce; add oregano and cook for 2 min longer

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:48:33 PM »

6 T Olive oil
15 - Cloves garlic
1 - Large onion
2 t - Salt
½ t - Black Pepper
2T — Dried Basil
1T — Dried Oregano
1t — Crushed red pepper
½ C — Brown Sugar
½ C — Sweet Marsala wine
2T Fresh Basil

btw, that recipe is totally kick ass!

Thanks Joan! Glad you liked it. :)

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
Here is my chunky sauce recipe.

½ C — Brown Sugar
½ C — Sweet Marsala wine

Two quick questions (the first I fear is entirely dumb)

1) Does that mean 10 pound Can?
2) Is it a rather sweet sauce or do the amount of tomatoes along with the salty proscuito take up much of the sugar?

joan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »
#10 can is the huge, restaurant-sized can, approximately 12 cups.  I halved the recipe, and used 2 cans of crushed tomatoes which had just under 3 cups each (I think 11 x 1/4-cup servings per can).  You can vary the sweetness as you cook.  I used the recipe almost exactly (again, cut in half), and the result was on the sweet side, but not overly so.  Since I had less crushed tomatoes than exactly 1/2 the recipe, I can see how the result would be sweet.

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
#10 can is the huge, restaurant-sized can, approximately 12 cups.  I halved the recipe, and used 2 cans of crushed tomatoes which had just under 3 cups each (I think 11 x 1/4-cup servings per can).  You can vary the sweetness as you cook.  I used the recipe almost exactly (again, cut in half), and the result was on the sweet side, but not overly so.  Since I had less crushed tomatoes than exactly 1/2 the recipe, I can see how the result would be sweet.

Yep. That pretty much covers it. It's called a "number 10 can". I'm not sure I abbreviated it correctly, but I knew what I meant. :)

It can have a bit of sneaky spice if you do a little more pepper and the fresh basil gives it a nice bite.

Offline LeezleB

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »
umpity
Proud member #85

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
bump

+-SUPPORT US