Author Topic: Caster Semenya loses landmark legal case against IAAF over testosterone levels  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
The 800m Olympic champion will have to take medication to reduce her testosterone if she wants to run internationally at events between 400m and a mile.

Sports scientist Ross Tucker, who was part of Semenya’s team of experts at Cas last month, believes it will mean the South African will run 800m around seven seconds slower – turning her from a world beater into an also-ran at that event. However she may now decide to step up to 5,000m where the IAAF’s rules on DSD athletes do not apply.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/01/caster-semenya-loses-landmark-legal-case-iaaf-athletics?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR0lQZnRJDXfiSchFW1Ua-KBLCzPP-SAiAd6LT0OvHKRzWnEgvlTwkj_NlQ
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
There is no win here. But Caster can still run as female (with out drug treatment) in the 5000. 
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
There is no win here. But Caster can still run as female (with out drug treatment) in the 5000.

1!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
I've watched him run a bunch of times.  I don't think he will do well in the 5000m.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
You've watched her run, not him
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
I'm okay with this as long as other competitors are allowed to amp up their testosterone levels to similar levels. 

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
I'm okay with this as long as other competitors are allowed to amp up their testosterone levels to similar levels.

That starts a very bad precedence that we ought not go.    I think she will suck at the 5000 unless she gives up the 800....hoping anyway.  It didn’t work out well for FloJo but 100 to 5k
A little more of a jump.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Richard is being a dick

In all of the time I've been in the CH, I haven't once seen Richard intentionally being a dick so I was giving benefit of doubt

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

That starts a very bad precedence that we ought not go.    I think she will suck at the 5000 unless she gives up the 800....hoping anyway.  It didn’t work out well for FloJo but 100 to 5k
A little more of a jump.

She beat Dominique Scott at their national championships in the 5000 last week. Scott was a 2016 Olympian for SA and has run right around 15:00, which is world class. Semenya won’t win an Olympic medal in the 5000 but could be a finalist and top 10. In my book that does not suck.

Coach Steve Magness had a good string of comments Twitter the other day I’ll try to link it.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
In all of the time I've been in the CH, I haven't once seen Richard intentionally being a dick so I was giving benefit of doubt

Oh, I thought that was just Randy dicking around with the fact that Dick is a nickname for Richard. 

Offline SnarlyMarly

She beat Dominique Scott at their national championships in the 5000 last week. Scott was a 2016 Olympian for SA and has run right around 15:00, which is world class. Semenya won’t win an Olympic medal in the 5000 but could be a finalist and top 10. In my book that does not suck.

Coach Steve Magness had a good string of comments Twitter the other day I’ll try to link it.

Nope, most definitely does not suck.   I was hoping that she would.  Couldn’t just be happy screwing up middle distances.

And I guess, with that, you know where I stand.   If a woman would get banned for taking prednisone because her asthma can’t be controlled in god forsaken polluted cities like Beijing, then this woman should not compete with high levels of testosterone either.   At the very least. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher

I defer to your familiarity, but in my experience, deliberately fucking with a person's pronouns is a dick move

YMMV
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
Oh, I thought that was just Randy dicking around with the fact that Dick is a nickname for Richard.

Okay, I stand corrected.  You can't save people who are determined to be wrong. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners

Agreed. Caster Semenya did NOTHING WRONG and she was absolutely dragged through the mud by the IAAF, starting when she was just a teenager. Her body naturally produces higher levels of testosterone than the average woman, but not as much as the average man. If she were to take medication to suppress the testosterone, what would that do to her health? 

She absolutely has/had an advantage over her competitors, but what is construed as an "advantage?" Testosterone, okay. Larger lung capacity? More/less muscular build? Is the IAAF going to start regulating naturally occurring levels of T in men? It's murky territory.

And Richard, she is a woman.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
1! to all of that, Chasing Amy.  I don't envy the IAAF having to make these decisions one bit.  But they handled it terribly. 

Offline SnarlyMarly

Agreed. Caster Semenya did NOTHING WRONG and she was absolutely dragged through the mud by the IAAF, starting when she was just a teenager. Her body naturally produces higher levels of testosterone than the average woman, but not as much as the average man. If she were to take medication to suppress the testosterone, what would that do to her health? 

She absolutely has/had an advantage over her competitors, but what is construed as an "advantage?" Testosterone, okay. Larger lung capacity? More/less muscular build? Is the IAAF going to start regulating naturally occurring levels of T in men? It's murky territory.

And Richard, she is a woman.

Lung capacity has never been a determining factor of which category you run in.   And if testosterone were to be treated like lung capacity, ALL woman would be able to use whatever means to increase it to their benefit.   Not all people can train at altitude, so they use machines and tents.   So by the same standard, women should now only be DQd by the same level standards as men.

Offline diablita

• The Runners

Offline Mrtambourineman

All elite athletes are genetic freaks in some fashion - its why they are elite.  This is a tough situation and I don't know that everyone would be satisfied with any outcome on her case.  Have they addressed transgendered athletes yet? 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

It's not just the extra testosterone, it's the Y chromosome and internal testes. Those are significant biological differences. And as I alluded early on in this thread, no good solution. Splitting out the 5000 might work in this case, but what happens when there is a similar case of a distance runner who runs 14:10 and 29:00 for 5 and 10K?

+-SUPPORT US