Author Topic: Your Favorite Low Carb Recipes  (Read 7699 times)

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
Your Favorite Low Carb Recipes
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
We've been eating low carb for about 9 months, so I am always looking for new ideas.  Whachu got? :D

This is a breakfast one that I recently threw together and now it's a favorite:

Italian-ish Zucchini Scramble

Bit of olive oil - I use a Misto, so I just spray the pan
1 small, grated zucchini
1/2 clove garlic crushed
4-6 eggs, beaten
salt
pepper
1 oz grated cheese; I use an Asiago, Parmesan, Romano blend
1 tbsp chopped, fresh parsley (I prefer Italian flat leaf)

Saute the grated zucchini and let it brown.  Add garlic and saute for about a minute then add eggs and mix well in the pan. You can scramble it or make it more like a frittata if you prefer. When the eggs are nearly cooked, sprinkle with cheese.  Add parsley just before serving.   

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Your Favorite Low Carb Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
That looks good.

This isn't a recipe, but when my family eats pasta with red sauce, I've been cubing mozzarella cheese and then spooning a generous amount of sauce over it for my serving. The hot sauce makes the cheese nice and melty. Rao's jarred sauce is a little spendy but it's really good, has no crap in it, and is low carb, so it's a nice easy meal in minutes.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
I try to follow paleo guidelines as much as possible so I have a ton.  One favorite is to cook cauliflower rice in some coconut oil and Better than Bouillon and add sauteed shrimp and tons of fresh veggies, like shiitake mushrooms and sliced peppers.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
I am making lamb kofta (meatballs) tonight. I keep it super simple, ground lamb with an egg to bind it together, seasoned liberally with Penzey's Balti blend (coriander, garlic, ginger, cumin, dundicut chilies, Ceylon cinnamon, brown mustard seeds, cardamom, clove, fennel, fenugreek, charnushka, ajwain, star anise, black cardamom, cilantro, anise seed and bay leaf -- copied that from the website!) and salt. I make small balls and bake for 20 minutes, and finish under the broiler. Then I serve with a tzatziki sauce I make with Greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, and a little lemon juice.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
I basically just cut out the carby stuff. Like I eat pasta sauce over veggies instead of pasta. I eat stir fry without rice. That kind of thing.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »
Hamburgers without buns. 

Offline ihop

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »
I am making lamb kofta (meatballs) tonight. I keep it super simple, ground lamb with an egg to bind it together, seasoned liberally with Penzey's Balti blend (coriander, garlic, ginger, cumin, dundicut chilies, Ceylon cinnamon, brown mustard seeds, cardamom, clove, fennel, fenugreek, charnushka, ajwain, star anise, black cardamom, cilantro, anise seed and bay leaf -- copied that from the website!) and salt. I make small balls and bake for 20 minutes, and finish under the broiler. Then I serve with a tzatziki sauce I make with Greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, and a little lemon juice.

Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »
Because PANTS

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
Hamburgers without buns. 

It's only an hour's drive to get one of those.  :skep:

Last night, we had roasted chicken, broccoli and a variation of diablita's cauliflower rice.  I sauteed the rice, garlic, ginger and thyme, added some of the bouillon and water and let it simmer.  It was quite good.

The meatballs and buffalo chicken soup sound really good! 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
I can't nail cauliflower rice. I am going to start a new thread about it.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
The best thing to do with failed cauliflower rice is to make it into cauliflower grits.  First, simmer until all the excess water evaporates.  Then add a splash or two of milk | coconut milk | sour cream, a dollop of butter, some grated cheese and mash them up until you get the right texture.  Good use for the immersion blender.  Mmm.  I don't even make real grits anymore.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
We eat a lot of this kind of stuff in our house (I make with fake meat or tofu usually). Easy, quick, etc. https://nomnompaleo.com/pot-sticker-stir-fry

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »
We eat a lot of this kind of stuff in our house (I make with fake meat or tofu usually). Easy, quick, etc. https://nomnompaleo.com/pot-sticker-stir-fry

I have everything to make that. Definitely doing it.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
I was low carb all last year. We mostly just ate meat and veggies.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
that looks delicious RA
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 04:05:39 PM »
Ok so I made it, and it was gooood. I mostly followed the recipe, I used a smaller portion of carrots and added cilantro at the end. Really more of a technique than a recipe, next time I might add some spinach. It was a great use for my CSA cabbage and shallots! Oh, and the ground pork from my other (meat) CSA. It made a ton, so I have leftovers for tomorrow. Yum.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 10:03:11 PM »
Toss vegetables with a little olive oil.  Today was broccoli, green beans, red onion.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, desired herbs.  Slice turkey kielbasa or turkey smoked sausage.  Roast it all on a sheet pan at 400 degrees.

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls - I add a little worstershizzle to this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/245164773439197564/

Spinach Eggs make frequent weekend appearances around here:
https://kalynskitchen.com/recipe-for-spinach-and-mozzarella-egg/

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
Ok so I made it, and it was gooood. I mostly followed the recipe, I used a smaller portion of carrots and added cilantro at the end. Really more of a technique than a recipe, next time I might add some spinach. It was a great use for my CSA cabbage and shallots! Oh, and the ground pork from my other (meat) CSA. It made a ton, so I have leftovers for tomorrow. Yum.

I made this for my lunch this week.  I also mostly followed the recipe but used soy sauce (which I have on hand) instead of coconut aminos (which I don't), and I also simply combined the cabbage with the meat rather than cooking it separately.  Also added chopped fresh cilantro.  The outcome is very, very tasty!

#notallprogressives

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »
So this week's lunch is the pot sticker pork as mentioned above.  Last week's was a super-easy and fairly low-carb Instant Pot shredded chicken:

3 - 4 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed, fat trimmed
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 orange, juice and zest
1 lemon, juice and zest
3 T dried onions
~1 to @ T chili powder
! T Mexican oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
Generous dash of Adobo seasoning

Put everything in the IP, close and seal.  Cook under high pressure for 20 minutes, then quick release.

Remove chicken thighs from cooking liquid.  The meat will be falling off the bones.  Shred with 2 forks.  I added a bit of cooking liquid back into the shredded chicken in its storage container before I refrigerated it.

For lunch, I heated a portion in the work microwave, put it on shredded Romaine with a bit of shredded cheese, a lot of salsa, store-bought guacamole from a single serve container, and a dollop of yogurt (also made in my IP).  Made for a satisfying lunch!

The chicken would be good in burritos, tacos, etc., too.

#notallprogressives

+-SUPPORT US