Author Topic: Indirect impact of a bib swap  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Indirect impact of a bib swap
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
The annual state road race rankings came out the other day and I was bumped down a place lower than expected. The time was outstanding for my age group, just over 34 for 10K at 5000 ft elevation. That's a top 10 all time USA mark as it is, and factoring for altitude it would be top 3. I'm not sure what the all time state record for the age is, but this would probably be a record. It was at a very big pro/citizens race. Never heard of the runner so I looked at race results and start photos and sure enough, the runner with that bib number looks to be in his early-mid 20s, not mid 50s.

Sigh. I know some here would bring out the pitch forks, torches, and boiling oil. I would not report this but you're talking record setting level and some random guy doesn't deserve to be on the books as the all time best for his age at 10K. So I'll copy the start photo and send it into the RD. We'll see what they say. If they don't act, it's going to Marathon Investigations.   

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
Re: Indirect impact of a bib swap
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
That sucks, Wilson

The important question is: were double letters involved in any way?

Stephen Costello, of Abbotsford Park Road Club, tested positive for 1,3-Dimethylbutylamine, Ostarine, and GW1516 after finishing in 95th place in the Stone Wheelers 25-mile time trial on May 20, 2017.

Sure enough, double letters

I find the double letters thing increasingly troubling, as my last name has double letters in it.

Does that mean I am doomed to repeat the fate of those with double letters and should give in to the inevitable and start getting on gear?

Or is it more "not all people with double letters are cheaters, but all cheaters have double letters"?
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »

Indeed they were. Came out of wave BB (6th wave). My guess is a college age son used his dad's bib. Or maybe just bought it off the dark web. 

That sucks, Wilson

The important question is: were double letters involved in any way?

Sure enough, double letters

I find the double letters thing increasingly troubling, as my last name has double letters in it.

Does that mean I am doomed to repeat the fate of those with double letters and should give in to the inevitable and start getting on gear?

Or is it more "not all people with double letters are cheaters, but all cheaters have double letters"?

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
If Dad gave his kid the bib and said "Go get me a Top Ten," that's more of a "bib mule" situation than a simple swap

I think a bib swap is just to get into a race that's sold out, instead totally banditting, whereas a bib mule takes [or is given] a person's bib to run for a BQ or AG podium [making sure the person gets the right bib back before the awards]

YMMV
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »
Can only speculate on what happened. A number of scenarios. Anyway, it's done I sent in a letter with the result linked in, the improbability of the result from an unknown runner, and 2 pictures from the start showing a young man (looking remarkably like Kemibe did 20 years ago!) heading off line. We'll see what they say.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
Good luck, and we all hope for a satisfactory resolution

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
Good luck with this.  I'm sorry it happened and I understand feeling like you shouldn't have to deal with it.  And you shouldn't.  But I'm glad you are.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
Yikes.  Let us know the outcome.   :fingers:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
Yeah, that would piss me off too.  Take him down.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
That sucks. I hope you will report on what is happening. And I am glad you took action.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »
 I never heard of the term Bib mule before this, I’m naïve. Good luck Wilson.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
First used on Runnersworld in February 2016

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/cheaters-beware-this-guy-is-on-to-you

marathoninvestigation.com launched in May 2015, with the first used of the term "bib mule" there in a comment in April 2016

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2016/04/boston-2016-wild-mountain-runners-club-a-single-member-ran-qualifying-times-for-3-different-runners.html

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
You know I would totally go after it.  good luck

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
You know I would totally go after it.  good luck

That's true!
I wrote up and sent a note on Monday - no word yet. Maybe it's being ignored or going through some channels; it was just on their general email. If I don't hear anything in a week, I'll mail a letter directly to the RD. If there is no action, then it's going to Murph and Marathon Investigations.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »
You got me & Rochey with you, Wilson. Maybe if you PM us the link, then the both of us can email the race as well?

"It has come to our attention, that ..."

One person being a "pest" can be ignored, but if a couple or more get in on it ...?

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
White singlet, BB232 on the far right with arrow above his head. Resolution isn't good, but he doesn't look 55.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »
Resolution isn't good, but he doesn't look 55.

I dunno man, neither do I for that matter

Does the person registered as #232 have any results in athlinks to other races you could grab a photo from?

That might be what Derek would do

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
I did a quick check using the name and hometown and only found a 2012 or so result, a 23 min XC 5K at NTN (Nike XC SW regional meet). So my possible theory is the dad ran the 23, and the son ran in the meet but I didn't dig further to find the son. No other results from a person of that name/age came up on a general search or on athlinks. It should be obvious.  Nor was I able to find any more pictures from later in the race. The photo section was really lame.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
I dunno man, neither do I for that matter

Does the person registered as #232 have any results in athlinks to other races you could grab a photo from?

That might be what Derek would do

do you look 23?

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
I'm a youthful looking elf, but not THAT youthful, no

+-SUPPORT US