Forum > General Fitness

I am a gym-member-newbie : help!

(1/3) > >>

floridagal:
My new employer pays 50% up to some amount per year - so I joined LA Fitness. 

It's been a long time since I've been to the gym and I am somewhat scared/embarrassed/[fill in appropriate word here]/  because I am older now and out of shape.

I'll start with the treadmill - I think I have that cheesy couch-to-5k recording here somewhere....are there any other things I can download for treadmill workouts?

and tell me about yoga class-do they hate beginners?! 

I've tried spin class a long time ago and it just didn't agree with me somehow.

What else should I do?  any pointers for the ellipticals?  I imagine I'll need to shake things up to keep my interest.

I so want to lose 15 lbs!

BonitaApplebum:
The thing to remember at the gym is that nobody really cares about your workout, they only care about their own. So unless you do something *really* over the top, like falling off the treadmill, you're just going to be background noise for everyone else. It's a hard concept to embrace, but very freeing.

Have fun! I like going to the gym, but haven't belonged to one in years due to scheduling/lifestyle stuff.

Richard21142:

--- Quote from: floridagal on September 16, 2017, 09:51:07 AM ---...are there any other things I can download for treadmill workouts?
--- End quote ---

Since it has been a while since you "worked out", you have to establish what you can do comfortably.  It could be only a couple of tenths on the treadmill.  Determining your starting point should be your first goal.

floridagal:
I did 2 miles run/walking on the treadmill yesterday in 30 minutes. It was week 3 of couch to 5k.

It felt good to move again. What I like about the gym is not having weather be a factor. I have a couple walking buddies but they often don't want to walk because it's too hot to muggy too dark blah blah blah

Richard21142:

--- Quote from: floridagal on September 17, 2017, 08:43:36 AM ---I did 2 miles run/walking on the treadmill yesterday in 30 minutes. It was week 3 of couch to 5k.
--- End quote ---

That's your starting point.  Build on that, based on the way you feel while on the treadmill and how you feel the next day.  Remember the couch to 5K is an example of a training plan;  but you can deviate from it as you develop insights into your own fitness. When my oldest daughter started running, I had a four year plan for her training.
It was necessary to constantly change it as more insights into her running developed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version