Author Topic: I am the worst baker!  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
I am the worst baker!
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
I'm making this curry for dinner tonight http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-chickpeas-with-spinach-and-tomatoes

I normally serve it on its own. Which is a bit lackluster for T. He likes rice and naan to go with. So, this recipe popped up in my fb feed a while ago, and I thought it would be a good accompaniment. Looks easy enough, right? And I'm WFH today so figured  I'd just make it to go along with. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-wrap-bread-recipe

So, batch #1 I effed up because I just scooped out the flour and the dough was too dense and did not come together.

Batch #2 I effed up because I went by weights but forgot to separate out 2/3 of the flour and mixed all the flour in with the boiling water. So, I tried mixing just the potato flour with the oil and yeast. And was so mad at myself and distracted that I forgot the salt. So, then I added the salt while the dough was kneading.

Both batches are currently rising. We'll see if either turns in to anything.

I swear I am the woooooooorst baker! 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: I am the worst baker!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:12 PM »
I have had decent luck with frozen naan and other flatbreads, that you just heat in the oven and serve. Not as good as fresh, but hot from the oven goes a long way.

I've only made flatbreads myself a few times, and I haven't been successful enough to convince me that the frozen kind aren't good enough.

The curried chickpeas sound good!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
America's Test Kitchen did a whole episode on Indian food and naan. I would look it up on line. I think I watched it on hulu or amazon instant video. They made it look really easy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
Yeah, the trader joes ones are really decent and cheap and I use them a lot for that reason. I just figured I'd give this one a try because the picture looked so inviting! I shoulda known better!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
I hope they turn out ok anyway  :fingers: :fingers:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »
Yeah, the trader joes ones are really decent and cheap and I use them a lot for that reason. I just figured I'd give this one a try because the picture looked so inviting! I shoulda known better!

I screwed up the last time I made bread, too -- and it was something I deemed "easy" and that I've made a dozen times before: foccacia bread. I was only paying half attention, though, and I totally mismeasured. I wound up throwing the whole thing out, it was not salvageable. To add insult to injury, I accidentally threw out a measuring spoon along with the dough, and didn't realize it until it was too late to retrieve it. 

Next time I make bread I swear I'm going to focus. :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »
 :hah: :-[ exactly BA! They actually turned out ok even though I totally screwed them up.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 05:57:20 AM »
I'm glad they turned out ok!  I would think that adding the salt a little later wouldn't be a game ender, just not ideal.  And then as long as the yeast didn't go in with boiling (or too cold) water it would still work.  Glad it did! 

I've had it happen before that my challah dough was too dry or wet because I often double the recipe AND add an extra yolk so I adjust for that by hand.  It never hurts to have to add more water or flour than the recipe calls for if it's just in small amounts.

I can't remember if I got this recipe here or not, but this is EXTREMELY forgiving and delicious, besides having a really good nutritional profile and probably going great with your curried chickpeas:
socca
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »
Don't think of you as being the worst baker, you were distracted, and that is all.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
I'm glad they turned out ok!  I would think that adding the salt a little later wouldn't be a game ender, just not ideal.  And then as long as the yeast didn't go in with boiling (or too cold) water it would still work.  Glad it did! 

I've had it happen before that my challah dough was too dry or wet because I often double the recipe AND add an extra yolk so I adjust for that by hand.  It never hurts to have to add more water or flour than the recipe calls for if it's just in small amounts.

I can't remember if I got this recipe here or not, but this is EXTREMELY forgiving and delicious, besides having a really good nutritional profile and probably going great with your curried chickpeas:
socca

That sounds good. Have you ever tried making it without using the broiler?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
That sounds good. Have you ever tried making it without using the broiler?

Yes.  I've made them on my crepe pan on the stove and they turned out very nice with no worry of burning them.  I also use the crepe pan for (fresh corn) tortillas now so I'm finding it to be a very versatile tool.  But I bet you could use any pan that conducts heat well.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »
Made these the other day...very easy.

http://www.recipetineats.com/easy-soft-flatbread-yeast/

This is a great blog btw
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
socca

Bumping because oh my god, this socca recipe is fantastic. I made them to go along with chicken tikka masala (made in my IP...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 06:13:56 AM »
It is good, isn't it?!?  I need to make them again.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
We have been making this pretty regularly and it is sooooo good and addictive. Yum!

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
DW made naan from scratch on the pizza stone last week and it turned out really good.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »
I'm bumping this again because we love the socca recipe posted upthread SO much. I've also been seeing it on more menus at restaurants lately, which is fun.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
I read the OP and mentally started composing my response. Then I read the second post and discovered that 2016 me had already said the same thing!

I have had decent luck with frozen naan and other flatbreads, that you just heat in the oven and serve. Not as good as fresh, but hot from the oven goes a long way.

I've only made flatbreads myself a few times, and I haven't been successful enough to convince me that the frozen kind aren't good enough.

The curried chickpeas sound good!

I love when I'm consistent, anyway! :roll:

But now I'm intrigued by the socca.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
 :rotfl:

The trader joe's naan is pretty good. 1 minute in the oven and you are good to go.

I pulled the coconut curry cabbage from the IP thread out of the freezer to go with the socca tonight. I'm excited!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
oh gosh I forgot about the socca.  may have to make that tomorrow night.  with curry cabbage sounds amazing.

+-SUPPORT US