Author Topic: Rhubarb recipes  (Read 6196 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Rhubarb recipes
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
Per the discussion in Yammering...

Cooked rhubarb pickle

Ingredients:

2 C fresh rhubarb stems, roughly chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil (use an oil with a neutral flavor, like safflower or grape seed oil)
2 T blackgram split lentils (urad dal without skins)
1.5 Tbsp black mustard seeds
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder (also called hing)
8 to 10 dried red chili peppers, e.g arbol chiles
1/4 cup mustard powder, freshly ground (I grind yellow or black mustard seeds in a dedicated spice grinder, but pre-ground yellow mustard can be substituted)
5 to 6 curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste

1.  Liquefy the chopped rhubarb stems in a blender or food processor.  Add a small amount of water (<1/4 cup) if necessary.  Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil, reducing the heat to low, and cooking for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2.  Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet (with a lid) over medium-low heat.  Add the urad dal and roast in the hot oil until golden brown, stirring frequently.  Then add mustard seeds, cumin, asafoetida, red chiles, mustard powder, and optional curry leaves.  Be careful as the latter can splatter.  Give this all a stir, then cover the skillet.  When the mustard seeds begin to pop, turn off the heat.   When there's no more popping, remove the lid from the skillet and allow the mix to cool a bit (maybe about 10 minutes).  Then pour the contents of the skillet into the cooked rhubarb and mix well.  Adjust salt to taste; the original recipe calls for a LOT of salt - 2 to 3 T - but less can be used.

This intensely flavored pickle functions as a condiment and is often served on the side with rice, idlis, and dosa. 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:15:53 AM by BonitaApplebum »

#notallprogressives

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: Rhubarb recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »
rhubarb chutney (you eat this with cheese, yo, like quince paste; or you can serve it with cooked poultry or pork)

3 c rhubarb, chopped
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 c honey
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 sweet white onion, diced
2 fresh chiles, seeded and diced
1 2-inch length of ginger root, peeled and sliced
cinnamon, star anise, ground cloves, and black pepper
2 c water
1 c cider vinegar

put that all in a pot and bring to a boil.  reduce to a simmer and cook for approx. 1 hour until thick.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
rhubarb chutney (you eat this with cheese, yo, like quince paste; or you can serve it with cooked poultry or pork)

3 c rhubarb, chopped
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 c honey
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 sweet white onion, diced
2 fresh chiles, seeded and diced
1 2-inch length of ginger root, peeled and sliced
cinnamon, star anise, ground cloves, and black pepper
2 c water
1 c cider vinegar

put that all in a pot and bring to a boil.  reduce to a simmer and cook for approx. 1 hour until thick.
Interesting! So, like, with a manchego?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »
oh, yes.  or you could smear it over some brie and eat it with crusty bread. 
or swirl it into plain yogurt (if you intend to do this, maybe don't reduce it too much).

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:52:50 AM »
my rhubarb ketchup recipe: http://moosecurrry.blogspot.ca/2015/06/rhubarb-ketchup-recipe.html

(makes a particularly good dipping sauce for asian-style salad rolls or spring rolls too)

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:03:15 AM »
Rhubarb Steamed Mussels

2 lbs fresh mussels
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot, minced
1 large stalk of rhubarb, minced
3-5 sage leaves
1 c. dry white wine
salt to taste (but it shouldn't need any because the liquid that releases from the mussel shells is pretty salty)

Shake up the mussels and discard any that don't close.  If you aren't sure, pinch them shut: if they stay shut, good, if they open back up right away, toss them.

In a large saucepan, sautee the shallot and rhubarb in butter until softened.  Add the sage leaves and stir until wilted.  Add wine.  When wine comes to a boil, tip in the mussels and put a lid on the pan.  Steam for 3-4 minutes or until the mussels are open.  Pour into a bowl, removing any unopened ones before serving.  Crusty bread on the side optional.

Incidentally, I've watched a lot of people in restaurants create unnecessary work to eat mussels.  So if you don't know how it should work: take the mussel and snap the shell in two, use the empty side to scoop the mussel out of the other side (detaching it as you go); dip the shell with the now loose mussel into the broth and slurp directly from the shell.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
Per the discussion in Yammering...

Cooked rhubarb pickle

I am so making this.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
Those mussels sound interesting -- sage and rhubarb!!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
Those mussels sound interesting -- sage and rhubarb!!

sage and rhubarb is a killer combination

I make a rhubarb cordial (rhubarb heavily sweetened, stewed and strained) stewed with sage, which is good for mixing with soda water for a rhubarb fizz.  Even better if you slip some white rum in there.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
sage and rhubarb is a killer combination

I make a rhubarb cordial (rhubarb heavily sweetened, stewed and strained) stewed with sage, which is good for mixing with soda water for a rhubarb fizz.  Even better if you slip some white rum in there.

Well THAT sounds good.

I love new flavor combos. I'm going to try the mussels technique for sure, although it might wind up being with clams.

Between this and the chocolate cake in an orange, you are leading the pack on my summer cooking experimentation list!!

Offline Ergonomic Mouse

• NTTAWWT
  • Behind the Redwood Curtain
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:53 AM »
Yay!! Big rhubarb fan here. We have it growing everywhere at our place. I will post my rhubarb jam recipe when I get home later this week.,.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:21 PM »
Do yall start rhubarb in your garden from seed? I want to add it to my garden next year.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
Do yall start rhubarb in your garden from seed? I want to add it to my garden next year.

we got roots from one of our neighbours and we bought roots from Walmart... both did very well
-

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Rhubarb recipes
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »
I made a rhubarb sage butter and dipped steamed clams in it this weekend! It was good, but I felt like it needed more rhubarb. Will continue to experiment with it -- I liked the flavor profile. My relatives (who are very meat and potatoes, I'm shocked they even eat clams) were not impressed, lol. Too bad!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
we grew ours from seed.

+-SUPPORT US