Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221316 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Instant pot?
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »
Does anyone have one?

I'll probably get a stove top pressure cooker instead, but love the idea of programmable.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »
Yes, coincidentally, my Instant Pot was just delivered on Monday.  My Sharper Image branded pressure cooker / slow cooker bit the dust last week.  As my most frequently used appliance, I didn't waste any time getting a replacement.  My research into the options led me to the Instant Pot.  I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but it seems to work fine.  It probably has more programming options than I really need, but I might change my mind about that after I use it more. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
I have a pressure cooker but if it ever needed to be replaced I would get an Instapot. I love my pressure cooker and use it at least once a week.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »
I hope it works well, radial! I'm going to hold off on buying anything for now, but I so want to play with it. The hippressurecooking.com lady seems to like it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
FYI, Bed Bath and Beyond has an amazing return policy (at least last I checked) and my pressure cooker broke (the knob broke off the top) and i bought a new one and hated it. I think I had it almost 6 months and just really did not like it at all. DH got some replacement parts from the manufacturer and fixed the original one and BB&B took back the used pressure cooker when i told them i did not like it. Costco does too, not sure if they sell instapots.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:20:28 PM »
Well, I never heard of this instant pot, but now I think I want/need one badly.  My BD is coming up next week (good reason to get one!).
Anymore feedback?
I have a rice cooker, a steamer, a slow cooker, and a yogurt maker.  Do I really need one?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »
It does want all those other appliances do, plus pressure cooking. So no, you don't need one, unless you want to pressure cooker that also does everything else.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 07:14:46 AM »
It does want all those other appliances do, plus pressure cooking. So no, you don't need one, unless you want to pressure cooker that also does everything else.

The yogurt function interests me, since I have to do yogurt in 4 batches now.  (Small incubator).  Could I do one gallon in one attempt?  That would sure save time and be convenient.  And the incubator is on its final days, I fear.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 08:51:43 AM »
I don't know anything about making yogurt. But the  model I bought has a 6 L capacity. I think that's a little over 1.5 gallons.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
I don't know anything about making yogurt. But the  model I bought has a 6 L capacity. I think that's a little over 1.5 gallons.

That is enormous!  How big is it?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 08:37:58 PM »
That is enormous!  How big is it?

Bigger than the one it replaced, but not overwhelming.  Here are a couple of pictures.  That's an avacado in the plastic bag for scale.

Here's another picture of the stainless inner pot.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
Thanks. That puts it in good perspective.  Still debating. Want.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 08:13:29 AM »
 :panic:
Well, crap...I need one of these!
On, Wisconsin

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »
:panic:
Well, crap...I need one of these!

I got one.  It arrived yesterday. The easiest way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.  Oscar Wilde said this, and I apply this a lot.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
I'm super intrigued by the instant pot, but I already have a crockpot and a high end rice cooker. I feel like I can't justify the purchase.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 06:26:45 AM »
I'm super intrigued by the instant pot, but I already have a crockpot and a high end rice cooker. I feel like I can't justify the purchase.
Me too. But I have a pressure cooker, 2 crockpots and a fancy high end rice cooker :D I use the pressure cooker most, so if that goes, I will think about an Instant Pot.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 07:52:17 AM »

That was my dilemma, too.  I already have a zojirushi rice cooker that I love (and also prepare my breakfast oatmeal in), a crockpot, and a steamer.  My justification was that I had to make yogurt in several small batches.  Today, I am going to try the pressure cooker for beans, but DH announced that beans give him gas...  I definitely did not get this for the pressure cooker, but it may be something I learn to like, who knows.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 07:26:29 AM »
so, Natasha, what is the verdict?  I have been making yogurt, salmon, beans, and kale in mine repeatedly, some other things just once.  I say it was a worthwhile buy.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
how much ice cream?  I've always wanted to do homemade yogurt but have limited success the normal (counter top) way.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
I usually throw in a full gallon of milk. 
As to how much, do you mean the price of the instant pot?  I paid about USD 115 on amazon.
I have never had luck with beans on the stove top, but in this, they are great.  and steaming salmon in this is a winner, too.  I m glad I bought it.

+-SUPPORT US