Author Topic: How do I get my daughter to run?  (Read 10531 times)

Offline Notey

• Borderline
  • ?
How do I get my daughter to run?
« on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »
Hello,

It's been a while since I've posted anywhere but I felt like this topic is a good way to get me started again:

My daughter is in 7th grade.  I believe she has the potential to be a very good runner.  Last summer she ran a bit and ended up running in several 5K's and did very well.  She even beat the top x-country runner in her grade in a 5K.

Unfortunately, she didn't keep it up.  She loves theatre.  She is in a regional theatre group of very gifted kids.  In addition, as a 7th grader she was the lead in her school play.  There isn't enough time in her schedule to do x-country in the fall or track in the spring.  She even struggles to find time to get out for a run during the school year.

I try to encourage her to go out for these teams, but she won't because it interferes with her theatre.  I really don't like that she feels the need to do theatre 100% of the time during the school year.  I know I can't force her, but I would like her to take a break and try running on a team.

She is a very good actor and singer and she is on the high honor roll in school.  When I try to encourage her to run in school, she just tells me that she can't, that she is following her passion and that she does so well in school that I should let her do what she wants (I'm not buying that one, but it is her life and I can't force her to do any activity).

She did run last summer and we had fun setting up a training schedule and going to a few 5Ks.  I'm hoping that we can continue that this summer, although she hasn't run much since last fall.  Her interest in it actually seems to be waning.  I was hoping to be able to run with her this summer but that appears to be out of the question again.

What can I do?  Anything?

Offline McTortle

• NTTAWWT
Re: How do I get my daughter to run?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
Good one!

Honestly - I don't know that you'll be able to get her to run.  I hope you can!  I look back and wish for that kind of time with my dad.

You could try appealing to her keep fit for the stage side - by running she'll be increasing her endurance which will translate nicely to dancing/singing/keeping up on stage.  It's also a good time to run lines.  (Ha!  I crack me up sometimes)

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:07:16 PM »
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Notey!

At that age, running should be fun, not a chore, not a competetion (unless competing is considered fun).  I have nothing specific though.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Hi, Notey

My daughter, now 16, has run a couple of 5ks - more for fun with friends than anything serious. I have tried to encourage her, mostly indirectly and through emphasizing the positive aspects of the pursuit. She is very much involved in stage as well, with her it is stage crew. That along with her honors and AP course work keeps her busy. I hope I am setting a good example and I hope she adopts running at some point, but she'll need to embrace it on her own volition I think.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
I was a theater kid in middle school/high school and loved it so much I never would have sacrificed it for a team sport.  I think theater kids learn all the same stuff re: teamwork, hard work, practice, etc. through putting on productions.

There's nothing my parents could have done or said that would have changed my mind.  And then on my own, I became a runner later in life. 

Don't pressure her but I like the idea of setting the fun, positive example.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

iwuzwilson

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
Give her encouragement and opportunity and the rest is up to her.
My son didn't like running through middle school. But he did participate in cross country and track, mostly because his friends did. He wasn't going to do high school but we gave him the option that he had to do some sort of after school activity such as drama, music, or a club. So since his friends were doing running anyway, he signed up and ended up varsity for three years, and was all-region for two. 

Offline Notey

• Borderline
  • ?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I understand there's not much I can do.  Hopefully I can enough to encourage her to join me this summer.  If I can do that, there's hope that she'll start to enjoy it again.  She is coming off a very busy couple of weeks of theatre, so maybe once her batteries are recharged, she'll start to feel the itch to get out there.

I think what kind of bothers me a little is that I know she could be good and won't get to experience the thrill of competing and winning, although her accomplishments in theatre and school might give her the same kind of excitement.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:14:22 PM »
Notey!

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »
When my oldest daughter was her age, she told me she wanted to run on the junior high track team the following year.  I then set up a program to develop her aerobic capacity.  I spent one year getting her up to 10 miles per week (on that kind of mileage, she was able to run under 6 minutes for a mile).  Maybe if you presented her training as something that wouldn't take up a lot of time, maybe she might listen; especially if you explain running will help her project while on the stage. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Hi Notey!  :preen:

Let her do theater.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Notey

• Borderline
  • ?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »
There's no way he WON'T let her do theater

You nailed that one.  I can't keep my eyes dry when she's up on stage singing.  I was a mess after her Jr. High play.  I went by myself on opening night and heard so many students and parents raving about how great she was.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
You nailed that one.  I can't keep my eyes dry when she's up on stage singing.  I was a mess after her Jr. High play.  I went by myself on opening night and heard so many students and parents raving about how great she was.
:heartbeat:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »
Part of the glory of running is that you can do it sans team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline McTortle

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »

:heartbeat:

It's understandable that you want her to be successful and that you see she could be with running.  But the response you just stated tells me she already gets that kind of thrill from theatre.  And it's wonderful that you are there to see her be successful like that.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
How big is the school? Neither one of these activities at that age should be so all consuming that she can't try to fit in both in my opinion.  I hate that kids are needing to specialize at such a young age...

The school my kids went to for high school was so small there was no way they could have students do either or.. I have to say it was quite amusing watching the captain of the football team have the lead in the play.. Or the hockey player doing the trumpet solo in the jazz band concert..

I think it's really important.. the different activities exercise two different sides of the brain I think!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
If they are both after school, I could see why it would be one or the other.

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »
You need to write a screen play about running, and cast your daughter as the lead :D

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
i really like Richards suggestion.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
You need to write a screen play about running, and cast your daughter as the lead :D
FTW!

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »
i really like Richards suggestion.
Me, too.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 09:29:36 PM »
I tried to get both my younger boys interested in running, but it was a total bust.  I think I was just a little too eager.  And it probably didn't help that running was something I did myself, so they probably decided they didn't want to do an activity that would put them in such direct competition with dear old dad who had a 20 year head start.  Fast forward a decade or so, and middle son suddenly wants to learn how to play tennis.  We had our first session last weekend, and it was great.  Sometimes these things are just a matter of timing. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 02:07:03 PM »
Notey, i posted in the healthy eating thread that this morning my DD did not want to go on a run with me (jogging stroller) and i said, fine, then either you go with me or we CLEAN YOUR ROOM, guess what she chose?  :rotfl:

Offline Notey

• Borderline
  • ?
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
How big is the school? Neither one of these activities at that age should be so all consuming that she can't try to fit in both in my opinion.  I hate that kids are needing to specialize at such a young age...

The school my kids went to for high school was so small there was no way they could have students do either or.. I have to say it was quite amusing watching the captain of the football team have the lead in the play.. Or the hockey player doing the trumpet solo in the jazz band concert..

I think it's really important.. the different activities exercise two different sides of the brain I think!

Practices/rehearsals are at same time or overlap by too much.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
chase her

Offline caribougrrl

Offline Notey

• Borderline
  • ?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
Update:

Apparently the Jr. High track team only has to practice 3x a week and they can choose which days.  This will enable my daughter to do track next spring!   :d

I wish x-country had a similar arrangement because I think she would enjoy that more than track.

On top of that she is suddenly expressing an interest in volleyball as well.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
Update:

Apparently the Jr. High track team only has to practice 3x a week and they can choose which days.  This will enable my daughter to do track next spring!   :d

I wish x-country had a similar arrangement because I think she would enjoy that more than track.

On top of that she is suddenly expressing an interest in volleyball as well.
good news!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
See if your area has  Girls on the Run Program. I think the time commitment for the girls is a lot less than team sports.  She gets her running in, but still has plenty of time for other things. 

+-SUPPORT US