Author Topic: Is it too early to talk about fall marathons?  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
Is it too early to talk about fall marathons?
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
I just registered for Philly.. I had to withdraw from it in 2013 because of my PF.. It's late, which I like since I have a few months to build my base... I think my daughter is running it and I know at least two more people so there will be people in my group who aren't "done" their fall marathons which is also appealing..

I turn 54 in June so my BQ time for 2017 would be 4:10.. I ran 4:07 in nyc last fall while still bothered by PF and not the best trained so I think I can do it, but a BQ isn't really a huge goal for me at this point in my life...

I wasn't sure I'd do another marathon after ny because I'm getting up there in age, but what the heck... I can always drop to the half if training doesn't go well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Is it too early to talk about fall marathons?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
I like that idea :D

I am starting to think fall races. Nothing solidified yet.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
I'll be doing the the Evil Rock & Roll Backwards Hosewater Marathon Empire 2015 Philly HM [formerly known as "PDR"]

I haven't registered yet, but it's a reasonable $60 until May 10

I was thinking while running yesterday evening; if you registered in person at the Broad Street Run Expo, and could provide proof that your birthday was Halloween [= Race Day] they should let you [= ME!] register for $31

I'm gonna email them that idea

I tried to use the marathon code that was in the broad street virtual bag but it wouldn't work.. I'm thinking it's not valid until after the price increase tomorrow :(

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
I'll be running the half.

And look for me at Broad & Reed Streets (west side, just after Mile 7) on Sunday. :)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
I'll be running the half.

And look for me at Broad & Reed Streets (west side, just after Mile 7) on Sunday. :)

OK! Is west side the left or right side of the street?  Are you going to be at the Philadelphia runner tailgate after?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
OK! Is west side the left or right side of the street?  Are you going to be at the Philadelphia runner tailgate after?

Right side of the street.  I think the 7 mile marker is on Federal Street, Reed is two blocks further down.

I am volunteering at the tailgate so I'll ride my bike down there after seeing most of my friends run by.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Right side of the street.  I think the 7 mile marker is on Federal Street, Reed is two blocks further down.

I am volunteering at the tailgate so I'll ride my bike down there after seeing most of my friends run by.

Ok maybe I'll see you on the road or at the tailgate.. I doubt we will be leaving the parking area too soon, although we may be hanging out with the Conshy Runners wince we run with them a lot of Thursdays and Sundays.. which you should totally come some time!

iwuzwilson

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »
Pikes Peak Ascent in August. Only 13.2 but the time is about equal to a marathon.

Planning on Bellingham Bay Marathon (WA) in late Septmember, but have a lot on the plate this summer so we'll see about that.

My priorities are XC and mid-length distances which is equivalent to JV status in a marathon focused forum like this, but to each their own. If I try hard maybe can BQ or something.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »
Pikes Peak Ascent in August. Only 13.2 but the time is about equal to a marathon.

Planning on Bellingham Bay Marathon (WA) in late Septmember, but have a lot on the plate this summer so we'll see about that.

My priorities are XC and mid-length distances which is equivalent to JV status in a marathon focused forum like this, but to each their own. If I try hard maybe can BQ or something.

I posted about my five mile race plans!  :fiery:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »

Depends on who you talk to, I guess. I don't have any desire to run a full. Ever. Assuming I can ever get back to running regularlywithout just re-injuring myself I will focus on things around the 10k mark, probably. With the occasional half thrown in for fun.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »
I've been doing halfs: Sleepy Hollow, Hook Mt, Riverdale (Bronx) up next. I'll probably do New Paltz on Father's Day and then decide if I want to do a marathon (last Fall's DNF is still f*cking w my head some).
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
A marathon is on the back burner for me. But now would be when i would start ramping up for it.

I'm coming off an injury and hope to be back to 10 mile long runs by the end of June.

There are a couple of local half marathons I'm looking forward to, but no marathon until next year.

Assuming things improve. Life has been sucky for about 3 years.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
Hartford Half for me.
The really good news is that my brother is planning to come in from Louisville to run the full.
Should be a great weekend.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »
to answer your question; I think it is, if you are not planning on running in large masses.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
I want a goal for the fall that will require the focus of a marathon but I don't want to plan a big trip so I think I may just run Baystate again.  Boring course but well-organized and very convenient.  Not sure I'm ready for the challenge of a very hilly marathon like Manchester, NH right around the same time.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
Right now I am registered for two Halfs.  I registered for the Smoky Mountain Half Marathon (in Tennessee) in September which is my goal race for the year.  I haven't run more than a 12K race (besides the SMR) since I had the melanoma and surgery.

Then my sister talked me into walk/running the Asheville Half in early June so I have 5 weeks to go from 5 miles to 13.1 in a VERY hilly but fun race.  I'm looking at it as great support for a training effort for the SMHM in September. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »
I want a goal for the fall that will require the focus of a marathon but I don't want to plan a big trip so I think I may just run Baystate again.  Boring course but well-organized and very convenient.  Not sure I'm ready for the challenge of a very hilly marathon like Manchester, NH right around the same time.

I would never do Baystate a second time... very boring. 

Have you considered clarence demar? I don't think it's that far from you.

Or else Mohawk Hudson?  A bit further, but lovely.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
Oooh Mohawk Hudson…thank you for reminding me about that one! 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »
I liked Baystate. I am considering it again. I would love to be in marathon shape at the end of fall. It is local, easy to get to, no travel or overnight stays, reasonably priced, and well organized. My friend who helped me train for Boston is running Chicago so if I planned on Baystate we could do some long runs together. Chicago is the following week.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »
I ran Baystate 4 times and got a BQ 2 out of 4 of them. Granted one just got me seeded with an invitational entry, but still. I like how it is well organized with the HS kids at the water stops. Plus it's easy to show up and run that morning. Not a lot of fuss. I get super anxious before, so I like the close proximity to home and the low key morning. I also did the half twice.

I am likely going to run a trail full marathon in the fall. My friends all got into Marine Corps, but I think my body is done for road marathons, for now anyway.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
I have two HMs, if I can rehab a lingering injury.

A 15K, too.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
I ran Baystate 4 times and got a BQ 2 out of 4 of them. Granted one just got me seeded with an invitational entry, but still. I like how it is well organized with the HS kids at the water stops. Plus it's easy to show up and run that morning. Not a lot of fuss. I get super anxious before, so I like the close proximity to home and the low key morning. I also did the half twice.

I am likely going to run a trail full marathon in the fall. My friends all got into Marine Corps, but I think my body is done for road marathons, for now anyway.

Bay state, Clarence dear, and Mohawk hudson are all fast courses.  I ran comparable times at all of them.  Bay state is ugly and boring, though.

+-SUPPORT US