Author Topic: Do y’all meal plan?  (Read 9127 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: Do y’all meal plan?
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
I have heard these are a lot of chopping. Have you found that not to be the case?

I want my meal-in-a-box to involve relatively little prep on my part. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me.

Tonight we did a stir-fry meal-kit from Trader Joes. Honestly, stir-fry is pretty easy. But this was like open a bag and dump veggies into a pan, chop up some baked tofu & add it, add noodles & seasoning and done! That is my kind of meal kit.

So Home Chef has different options...they have quick meals (5-15 mins or so where everything is already cut or a salad) but that's only like 4 of the options a week. The rest are more involved ranging from 30 mins to cook to an hour. But as a vegetarian you wouldn't have the choice of the full set of options (there are 17 different options each week...we choose 2...but only 4 of those options are vegetarian). I wouldn't do any of the companies I have tried as a vegetarian.

I see a completely vegetarian one advertising on TV and it looks like its zero prep but I dont remember what its called.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:53:06 AM by Magic Microbe »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
I agree, the prep is what is worth the money for me. I definitely don’t want to do lots of chopping for a meal kit.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
I agree, the prep is what is worth the money for me. I definitely don’t want to do lots of chopping for a meal kit.

I just want the reprieve from figuring out what to cook. I don't really mind actually prepping the food.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
I just want the reprieve from figuring out what to cook. I don't really mind actually prepping the food.

I sometimes think I would like to have a business where people tell me what food they have around, and I send them instructions for what to make for the next couple of days.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 09:46:57 AM »
I sometimes think I would like to have a business where people tell me what food they have around, and I send them instructions for what to make for the next couple of days.

There’s an app (ok, several) for that!

https://www.escoffieronline.com/top-apps-for-finding-recipes-for-ingredients-you-already-have/

Offline caribougrrl

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »

Its hard to make boneless skinless chicken breasts very exciting and that's generally what I tend to have around.  :D

Offline ihop

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
I create a list of meals by Friday for the upcoming week.  Anyone can write down a suggestion - I need to do quicker meals certain days so there is some editing.  I shop on Saturday for the week - but usually end up with a quick run to the store midweek. 

I might shuffle days around but, for the most part, we stick to the list.  Every now and then I just can't deal so we will have sandwiches.

It works for us.

I can't stomach more than a day of leftovers so prepping for the week or cooking in big batches doesn't work.

I cook dinner Sunday - Thursday (DH often does the protein on Sundays) and I usually enjoy it.  I could not do it if we didn't plan.

DH is rarely home before 7 and often still on the phone when he gets home.  DD is busy with school and activities. We try to catch up with each other during dinner.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
Its hard to make boneless skinless chicken breasts very exciting and that's generally what I tend to have around.  :D

I follow a few cooking pages on Instagram and I've found some good inspiration from the recipes posted. I need a lot of variety in my diet, definitely can't eat the same thing day after day.

Edited to add the IG pages I like:

smittenkitchen
ambitiouskitchen (you have to weed through some of her "wellness" and "happy pregnancy" posts, but her recipes are solid)
pinchofyum
cookieandkate (vegetarian)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:45:31 AM by Chasing Amy »

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »
I follow a few cooking pages on Instagram and I've found some good inspiration from the recipes posted. I need a lot of variety in my diet, definitely can't eat the same thing day after day.

Edited to add the IG pages I like:

smittenkitchen
ambitiouskitchen (you have to weed through some of her "wellness" and "happy pregnancy" posts, but her recipes are solid)
pinchofyum
cookieandkate (vegetarian)

I love cookie and Kate. DH won’t eat fish taco unless I make her mango salsa.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Amy listed some good ones! I also follow
"healthyish" from Bon Appetit
yottam ottelenghi
heidi swanson (101 cookbooks)
J Kenji Alt Lopez (from the food lab)

I agree it's a great low-key way to get some inspiration. Of course, none of the above are great boneless/skinless chicken breast jazzer-uppers.   

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »
But that's the whole point...I don't want to put energy into it! That's why I pay to have someone else do it for me.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
It’s the 19th and my meal plan has worked perfectly!! Only a couple of times I had to change things but it wasn’t a problem. DH wanted to try a new healthy place that opened on camp today. We never made it so I scratched out tomorrow’s dinner on my calendar and replaced it with take out from the new place.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2020, 06:31:04 PM »
I just wanted to record this somewhere because it was good. Could be lunch/breakfast/dinner. Based on Kaelyns Kitchen master breakfast casserole recipe.

1 lb bag of trader Joe's fresh cauliflower rice
1 onion
2 large garlic gloves
A big pour of cumin & chili powder
16 oz lf cottage cheese
2.5 cups shredded mexican blend cheese (I like trader joes)
1 small can black olives
1 small can diced green chilis
6 eggs

Sautee the veggies until really broken down & dry. Save half the batch for next time. Layer half into the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Then add 4 oz of cheese. Sprinkle the peppers and olives. Break eggs & mix with cottage cheese & 4oz of the shredded cheese. Poor on top of veggies. Top w. remaining 2 oz cheese.

Bake for 20-30 mins at 375.

350 calories 26 g p, 23 g f, 12 g c per serving. You can save about 100 calories per serving by using egg whites and lf cheese.

Top with sourcream and salsa or enchilada or ranchero sauce.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »
Mmm that sounds good, and very flexible too.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
Yep, very flexible in terms of the flavor profile. She has a lot of suggestions of various mix-ins to change up the flavor profile. https://kalynskitchen.com/breakfast-casserole-many-wayswho-knew/

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
That’s my favorite kind of recipe now - a general formula I can adapt to whatever I have.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
It's going on my list too.  I always have a bag of TJ's frozen cauli rice on hand but I can grab some fresh next time. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US