Author Topic: Running in the time of coronavirus  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Re: Running in the time of coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »
No mention of tracks. It’s harder these days to do a track workout because of all the newbies.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »
Lots at the open spaces have been packed and trails have a lot of people at times you would not expect to see them.

I'll head to the track this weekend (or not) and will see if there is a change. Usually it's 0-3 other people using the track. But I go fairly early AM, sometimes after work PM in the summer.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline ByloSelheigh

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »
The outdoor exercise craze seems to have peaked here and numbers and crowds are way down.
Higher than pre-pandemic but way down from the peak which in my area seemed to be about 10 days ago.
I think it was kind of like a condensed version of New Years resolution at the gym. Everybody resolved to get all this exercise and found  out it's not so easy to do and not easy to establish a new habit. Hopefully people aren't just getting too scared to go outdoors. The walkers with masks seem to be having a tough time - constantly adjusting them and I'll bet it's hot and gross.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
I have started to avoid popular park trails during peak afternoon, early evening times.  All public and school sports fields, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. have been closed by the city to discourage gathering.  I'm not totally sure abut the status of tracks, but don't want to risk the $750 fine.  National and provincial parks have been closed too.  Large city public parks have had their parking lots closed, but you can still pass through them.  No washrooms, picnic shelters or fountains open.   Your aren't even suppose to use the park benches. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:12 AM »
Our area made the national news a few weeks ago when popular forest sites (waterfalls, etc) were packed after the shut down.  ;;}. Totally understand people wanting to get out into nature - so many of us moved here for this. But we have a jillion known hiking spots and waterfalls so they didn't ALL have to go to the 2 or 3.

Now most everything is shut down and I'm happy about it. It's rainy season and the trails get ripped up even with the best of intentions.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
I've been to the track twice now. It's an open track at a high school and it does not usually get a lot of use, especially at 7-9 AM on a weekend. More people are using it and last weekend had to run 2/3 of my mile time trial on the street because a family just stepped on and were taking ALL the lanes. And I didn't want to yell Track!

Avoiding some favorites because of crowding, and one of my favorite longer run routes is closed due to heavy use and popularity. However, with spring on us can get out more. Had a nice 54 minute run yesterday afternoon at a nearby mountain park, getting to 8000 feet. Saw all of 5 other people on the loop, 4 of them within a couple hundred meters of a parking lot.

I'm going to run about an hour and do some ~200s in a park today, and hoping to pick up some bagels on the way back.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
Can't wait to get back to the track soon.  :heartbeat:  I'm making real progress by not running so I need to let it go a little longer.
I get so frustrated sometimes with the people who don't follow (posted) track rules. But then I remember I'm on the t(uni or hs) rack by grace of someone else and quit wishing them dead while I run by.  :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »
Red Rocks - even roads and trails now closed. State parks would be next although I don't see a need for it. But I'm not a public health official either.

This is an interesting thread topic and we should keep it going. Right now, more than 50% are wearing masks outside. I do think that's overkill on relatively uncrowded areas with enough room to pass. People are getting squirrelly however. Jumpy if you are closer than 15 feet. Maybe doesn't help that Runners World and Letsrun or some such published simulations showing viral spread. https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a32099136/coronavirus-viral-simulation/.

About training, for myself and runners I coach I'm planning to keep mileage/volume at about 80% of maximum (at 60% now), with plenty of rest or recovery days. Also hold back from maximum efforts. However, on social media I'm seeing some continuing to go all out with PR weekly volume stacked together and time trials on Strava every week. There is probably a happy medium in there.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 06:57:56 PM »
I agree Coyote. Super interesting. Discounting that article that was shared w/o actual validation, it makes sense to me that when we expel air more forcefully (on heavy effort) we have the potential to expel more droplets. I watched 3 women run up the hill next to my house (nature trail in our 'hood) as part of what looked like a boot camp workout. They were very close together and trying to be in shape but breathing really hard. I'd want to avoid that.

So while I don't think track workouts should be avoided, not sure I'd want to be near someone running all out.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »
Today was my first longer run since the kids have been home from school and we've been working from home.

I had been doing 14-15 miles every other week (out of habit and loose plans for a spring half) but just lost all interest for about a month. Kept waking up filled with adrenaline, not hungry, and wanting to do shorter harder efforts.

I've probably been running/exercising more overall but the idea of a long slow effort was not appealing and the guilt of fitting it in (usually do longer runs when husband at work and kids in childcare) and the thought of finding people free roads ... But, things are normalizing enough that today it felt right. Not sure when it will next time.

Only one incident where an entitled white guy and his dog and his wife were spread all across the trail. I tried to pass as far from them as possible but he yelled at me "YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD US YOU WERE COMING". I turned around as was like "Sir, you and your family are spread across the entire path". He literally said "Okay, I know, but you still should have alerted us." I know this type from the neighborhood where I was (he can do wrong and still yell at others for doing wrong).

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
I rarely encounter other people on my runs. Maybe one person going the other way... but on the other side of the road, so not of concern to me. I guess that’s the silver lining of living in the sidewalk-free suburbs, nobody else is ever on foot. And with the reduced traffic, even the one really busy street on my route isn’t bad.

Offline ByloSelheigh

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 01:06:37 PM »
Those are interesting data curves. I thought in the US at least, we might see running hold steady. Not surprising to see skiing and golf fall off by the wayside, but the virtual running is off the charts! We need to get even more of the newbs onto Garmin and Strava. 

Here are some of my own thoughts today (trying to blog again after stepping away for several years), expanded a bit from what I said the other day.

https://wordpress.com/post/rrunnin234.com/556
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:14:00 PM by Coyote Mas Loco »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
Enoyed the blog entry. Thanks for sharing.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
Enoyed the blog entry. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
Anyone doing virtual challenges to keep motivated and for something to do? Should we start a Time Trial and Virtual Challenge thread? Or just keep this one going?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
The VRAA was helpful for a bit. I actually need to finish the tally but swamped during the daytime and no really feeling like doing the work at night.

I'm doing a healthy living-type challenge on a team from the crossfit box. It's been fun b/c we chat a lot (so I miss the group a little less) and there's encouragement for all sorts of good lifestyle things - getting enough sleep, reading, clean eating, 30 min of movement a day, etc

I'd be up for something here too if you want to lead it? Starting to ramp the miles up again.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 09:22:41 PM »
Just signed up for the Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Club. It was free and the first 5K race distance goes tomorrow after 5pm EST.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
Let's think of something for June and July.

I've done this reddit sub challenge called the Crow League. They kind of make up the races by committee on a Slack channel and then present it to the main group. Been rather arbitrary, with heavy middle distance bias but concluding with a half marathon. So far 800, 400 m hill sprint, 1 mile, and auto relay (1000, 600, 200, 100) with equal time recovery. Next is a 110, 1100 to commemorate baseball (110 is a trip around the bases an 1100 of course is 10 laps). And then the half is in three weeks. Also have the choice of a 13.1K if you feel like dropping down. It's all age graded, which is to my benefit. It's been fun and a bit of a change from the normal routine.

+-SUPPORT US