Author Topic: Smoked Pork Shoulder Recipes  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
Smoked Pork Shoulder Recipes
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
I've done them before and they've turned out great, but want to try something new.  Anybody have a tried and true recipe they'd like to share (I'm looking your way, OBH)?

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
Have you looked at amazingribs.com?  I think the last time we did a pork shoulder we used some of his insight.  The website is an awful design and it feels like information overload to me; however, everything we have made of his has been wonderful. 
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
Dumb question...how are pork shoulders different than say a pork butt roast?...leaner?...anyway, I just had some tacos al pastor for lunch...I love all kinds of pork cooked Mexican style...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »
pork shoulder = pork butt roast

there is a movement to make things more consumer friendly by changing the "distasteful" names of cuts

I think of smoked shoulder as good old fashioned ham... but here smoked shoulder is cured first...

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Dumb question...how are pork shoulders different than say a pork butt roast?...leaner?...anyway, I just had some tacos al pastor for lunch...I love all kinds of pork cooked Mexican style...
Same here.  I've been on a carnitas kick lately.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:56:13 AM »
Same here.  I've been on a carnitas kick lately.

this is one of my favourite recipes of all time: http://nicolefranzen.blogspot.ca/2013/02/carnitas.html

never fails... I sometimes let it cool rather than shred it, and break into chunks to finish on the grill... I reduce some of the pot liquor to make a bbq sauce/ glaze for grilling.

Offline ModSheVit

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:28:11 AM »
Wow Wow !!! Amazing . How can you do it? I never see.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
pork shoulder = pork butt roast

there is a movement to make things more consumer friendly by changing the "distasteful" names of cuts

I think of smoked shoulder as good old fashioned ham... but here smoked shoulder is cured first...

That is the upper shoulder.  The lower shoulder is referred to as the picnic...and that is the classic ham.

I roasted a shoulder butt last night (also called Boston Butt, I think?).  It was absolutely delicious.  I had four teenagers and a couple of adults and they all raved.  Served with a Diseno Red Blend from Argentina.  Fab.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Aleppo-Pepper-Roasted-Pork-with-Shallot-Vinaigrette-51252700

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
That is the upper shoulder.  The lower shoulder is referred to as the picnic...and that is the classic ham.

I roasted a shoulder butt last night (also called Boston Butt, I think?).  It was absolutely delicious.  I had four teenagers and a couple of adults and they all raved.  Served with a Diseno Red Blend from Argentina.  Fab.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Aleppo-Pepper-Roasted-Pork-with-Shallot-Vinaigrette-51252700

I don't think of the picnic as shoulder, but upper front leg... but I know it gets called picnic shoulder.  The butcher who did my grandparents pigs would call the entire front end (butt, picnic, hock, foot and jowl) the shoulder.

anatomically though, the butt roast is the shoulder region:

and the picnic roast/ shoulder is the upper leg (humerus):

oh, and I will eat ham made from either the butt or the picnic roast (but you're right that the picnic cut is more traditional)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:02:10 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »
oh, and that recipe looks delicious, particularly the vinaigrette

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
oh, and that recipe looks delicious, particularly the vinaigrette

The vinaigrette rocked.  I pan fried some of the meat yesterday and mixed int he leftover vinaigrette, then threw it in corn tortillas.  Yum.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US