Author Topic: Asparagus  (Read 4098 times)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Asparagus
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
So, I've been really sick since Xmas eve and I have so much leftover food that I was going to have a hard time eating if I was healthy. I have a whole bunch of uncooked asparagus that I won't be able to touch and I paid Whole Foods prices for it. What's the best way to freeze it? Do I steam it first or something? I've been putting leftover chicken in soup and I've got some cooked and uncooked potatoes to deal with. I hate wasting food but I've been too sick to even think of eating it. As it is I just threw out cookies which is sacrilege.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
You could steam and then freeze, definitely.  You can add some to your soup.

I think Run Amok is a master of freezing leftover food so I hope she'll chime in soon.  Sorry you're not feeling well.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
i would blanche it and then freeze it. But someone with more experience would have better ideas.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
Most of the stuff I've googled has you blanche asparagus before you freeze it, it kills the enzymes that can promote spoiling so you can keep it in the freezer longer.  However most of those sites are geared toward people with a bumper crop of asparagus, or if you buy a bunch on sale and want to keep it for winter when it costs more.  I did find one site that said if you're going to use it within a few weeks to a month, not to bother with blanching and just freeze it, so if I were in your shoes that's probably what I'd do.  I would also decide how I'd be most likely to use it and prep accordingly.  I am picky with the texture of frozen veggies, so I would be more likely to put frozen asparagus in a soup or stir fry rather than roasting and eating it as a side dish, so I'd want it already chopped up and ready to go.  That's just me, though. 

Hope you feel better soon!

Offline JBM

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. So I can take the bunch as is and freeze for now? I am most likely to roast it when I eat it. Maybe I will snap the bottoms off first. I can try to eat it in the next couple of weeks. My freezer tends to be a black hole. Onceskmethin goes in it rarely comes out again. Except ice cream.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
It lasts pretty well in the fridge. So, if it seems like it's still ok, I wouldn't worry too much about using it right away. I'd probably lean towards roasting and freezing myself.

Offline JBM

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. This morning I was cleaning out the fridge and snapped off the bottoms and threw them in the freezer. It might be a while before I feel like eating it.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. This morning I was cleaning out the fridge and snapped off the bottoms and threw them in the freezer. It might be a while before I feel like eating it.

I used to throw out the bottoms, but now I make soup with them.  Very tasty.

Offline JBM

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
Oh, ha! I meant that I threw the whole bunch in the freezer and tossed the bottoms. I am too lazy to do anything creative with the bottoms or the stalks for that matter. I am trying to mitigate throwing out food and I've done a decent job, I think. I don't feel too guilty tossing some desserts and cookies. Cheese on the other hand is an issue. I have 3 different cheeses opened and they will need to be eaten before they get moldy. This is when living alone becomes a problem. I still have a ton of potatoes to deal with, but the uncooked ones should be okay for a while. I don't see anything happening with those until at least next weekend. I also didn't let myself go to the supermarket this weekend which will help.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
I freeze cheese sometimes.  Usually just the shredded kind because I don't eat it as fast.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US