Author Topic: Question about hard boiled eggs  (Read 4778 times)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Question about hard boiled eggs
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Hi - a while ago, someone had posted about steaming hard boiled eggs. I had recently perfected boiling them and moved on to steaming. Sunday night I steamed 6 eggs. I lost track of time as I was cooking dinner and found out the hard way that I under cooked them. Here is my question - do you think you can re-steam them for a few more minutes to get them fully cooked or will that just turn into a rubbery mess? I've eaten 4 at this point, but I was disappointed. I didn't want to waste them, but I haven't particularly enjoyed my undercooked eggs. :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Question about hard boiled eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Oops! I've totally done that. I've never tried to re-steam them. But, i fyou've eaten 4 of the 6, I'd probably just toss the last two and try again. Sorry steaming didn't work out for you. It's the only way I do them anymore. So much faster than boiling and I find I'm less likely to lose track of time for them that way because I just start the timer when I put them in the steam.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »
Not a good idea. You can give yourself food poisoning.

Offline JBM

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
I like the steaming, so that part has been fine, I just usually steam for 15 and I think I only did 10 minutes. The ones I've eaten have been fine, well, I haven't gotten sick anyway. And it's not the first time I've undercooked them a bit. Anyway, thank you. I will not try and re-heat them.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
I think I usually steam them for 12 minutes. Undercooking them is definitely worse than over cooking them!

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
I do not think they can recover.  I just throw them out when this happens but luckily I seem to have a technique down now. 
Because PANTS

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »
I've never steamed eggs but you have me curious: were the undercooked ones like soft boiled eggs and you don't like that?  Or is the consistency different/worse?  If the former, how could soft boiled eggs make you sick?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
I am kind of surprised at your short steaming times.  I have a decent steamer (Breville brand) and have to steam for 24 min.

Diablita: if you decide to steam, you have to punch a hole in them.  I did not know that...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
Ice cream, why do you poke a hole? I never have and no issues yet.

I just do a steamer basket in a regular pan...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
Ice cream, why do you poke a hole? I never have and no issues yet.

I just do a steamer basket in a regular pan...

The instructions that came with the steamer say so. I never tried without a hole, but I was glad I had read the instructions when I saw that. I thought it had prevented a mess...

Offline JBM

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 07:27:10 AM »
They were like a soft boiled egg but they wouldn't come out of the shell very well and some spots were a little too soft. I get some weird satisfaction from a perfectly boiled egg and it peeling well. I use a steamer basket as well and I think about 15 mins on low works well. I've been known to have them crack and bust out the sides of the shell as well from too much heat. It's one way or the other half the time. I make 4-6 every week and once in a while I just have a disaster.

+-SUPPORT US