Author Topic: smoothies  (Read 16138 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: smoothies
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
Not everyone thinks carbs are the devil.

I certainly don't.  In fact, I think a healthy diet is a balanced one that includes protein, carbs, and fats. 

But: I do believe that calories that are drunk are not as effective in filling me as calories that were eaten.  Rio does not feel that way, so we are all different.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Re: smoothies
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
i ran 8 super technical trail miles this afternoon, and had a smoothie for supper - it contained spinach, apple juice, ginger, blueberries, strawberries, and banana, along with a blob of yogurt.

the minute i finished it, i went into the bathroom to brush my teeth.  imagine my surprise when i saw my reflection in the mirror...!

:D

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
I don't consider a smoothie a drink... def feels like food to me.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
Witchy - :D  I  :heartbeat: you more and more every day. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:21 AM »
I don't consider a smoothie a drink... def feels like food to me.

1. And it fills me up like a meal would. We would have smoothies late at night during Ramadan. When we did that we felt great for a good part of the day the following day. Not so sluggish and hungry in the morning.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
i ran 8 super technical trail miles this afternoon, and had a smoothie for supper - it contained spinach, apple juice, ginger, blueberries, strawberries, and banana, along with a blob of yogurt.

the minute i finished it, i went into the bathroom to brush my teeth.  imagine my surprise when i saw my reflection in the mirror...!

Great boots, as expected.   ;)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
A fun smoothie fact:  My daughter LOVES them.  This morning I offered her the cup of cheerios that's always kicking around, but she didn't want it.  But she got so excited when I told her I'd make us a smoothie to share.   She sucks it back like no tomorrow, no matter what I put in there.  This morning I added some flax seed to give her shiny hair. ;) (horse joke)

It makes me feel good knowing I've sent her off to daycare with a belly full of pureed veggies, fruit and yogurt. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
smoothies
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
My daughter loves smoothies, too. Of course she calls milk shakes smoothies...
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »
I will buy the argument that it doesn't fill you up if juice is used...but not whole fruit. All the fiber is still there when whole fruit is blended.

Frankly when I read the article I got the distinct impression they were mainly referring to the "smoothie" drinks you can buy prepackaged...making your own from whole foods is a very different deal.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 02:41:15 AM »
My daughter loves smoothies, too. Of course she calls milk shakes smoothies...

Adam loves them too. I started calling them milkshakes to make them sound more appealing.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »

Frankly when I read the article I got the distinct impression they were mainly referring to the "smoothie" drinks you can buy prepackaged...making your own from whole foods is a very different deal.

That is how I read it, too. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
Adam loves them too. I started calling them milkshakes to make them sound more appealing.
i put a little vanilla extract in them to make it taste like vanilla ice cream, haha.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
this thread makes me happy because it just triggered a memory I hadn't thought about for years and years

when I was a kid, my mom made milkshakes for us in the blender: banana, milk, ice cubes... dad's approach was a bit different: milk, honey, carob powder in a jar with a lid, we had to shake it up ourselves (that's why they call it a milkSHAKE, kids, what your mother does is a milkBLEND)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
smoothies
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
:)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »
That's great, cgrl. :) :) :)

+-SUPPORT US