Author Topic: Overnight oatmeal  (Read 12914 times)

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
Re: Overnight oatmeal
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
good thinking.

steel cut oats are highly overrated, IMO.

eta: I like oats in all forms -- soaked overnight, cooked, or as cookies.

oats and eggs are especially wonderful together:

What - steel cut is the bestest!  the only bad thing is the cooking time.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
What - steel cut is the bestest!  the only bad thing is the cooking time.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your oat assessment there, gebuh.

steel cut oats to me are like Dysons in the land of oats: great but not really worth the extra money and cooking time.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
omg, steel cut oats are unbelievably delicious and can eat them plain, nothing added.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
good thinking.

steel cut oats are highly overrated, IMO.

eta: I like oats in all forms -- soaked overnight, cooked, or as cookies.

oats and eggs are especially wonderful together:

I want so badly to like oats and eggs. It's right up my alley. I LOVE savory oats. And I love eggs. But, I just can't hack them together- it's a texture thing.

But, if you do like it- I highly suggest oatmeal, avocado, egg & siracha. MMMM

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
Yeah, I do mine on the stove too. I was just looking for a fuss free way to have it ready for DH if I'm busy feeding the baby or something.

Maybe baked oatmeal?  It would be cold so he'd have to microwave it, but you can make it in advance and eat it for a few days. 

Budget Bytes has a bunch of different recipes on her blog, but here's her basic recipe.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:30 AM »
Maybe baked oatmeal?  It would be cold so he'd have to microwave it, but you can make it in advance and eat it for a few days. 

Budget Bytes has a bunch of different recipes on her blog, but here's her basic recipe.
but you can already do that with regular oatmeal - what am I missing?
scoop some rolled oats into a bowl, add liquid, nuke til it almost boils over.
Or scoop some rolled oats into a bowl, add yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc and eat. 
I guess if your dh is really that food prep challenged you could mix everything together except the oats in some Tupperware the night before and right before he enters the kitchen throw in the rolled oats.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »

We looooooove baked oatmeal, but we have no oven. I have a working stove, but no oven. We're on this weird standoff not to buy a new one. Well, I'm trying to convince DH we need an induction stovetop, so that's part of the problem.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:28 AM »
We looooooove baked oatmeal, but we have no oven. I have a working stove, but no oven. We're on this weird standoff not to buy a new one. Well, I'm trying to convince DH we need an induction stovetop, so that's part of the problem.
do some research on what people think about their induction stove. They talk about them a lot on the Martha Stewart radio and it seems like the majority of people who have them are not happy with them.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US