Author Topic: Dump chicken  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Dump chicken
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
I saw this on Pinterest and am intrigued because it seems like such an easy thing to do...anyone try it?  Basically, you just prep chicken (any - breasts, thighs, mixed pieces, whatever) in one of these many sauces/marinades and freeze til you need it.  I know it's a really basic idea, but I guess I'm wondering whether it will really be flavorful - I find that chicken is just not that flavorful, in my opinion. 

http://whenthedinnerbellrings.blogspot.com/2011/06/super-easy-way-to-getting-meals-ready.html
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Dump chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
I just usually marinate on sun and grill sometime during the week, I prefer different marinade but it's easy to marinate and grill, I serve over salad or put it in a wrap.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
I've frozen chicken breasts before in a marinade (usually italian dressing or some combination of oil and vinegar).  It doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  I find that chicken breast is not that flavorful unless it's grilled and not overcooked.  Thigh meat seems to be more moist and flavorful to me.  (It's also higher in iron and zinc!)

Offline monster2

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
I keep telling you guys buttermilk brine is where it's at! Grilled chicken is always moist!

Offline Lintu

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
I keep telling you guys buttermilk brine is where it's at! Grilled chicken is always moist!

Oh, I'll have to look into this!
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »
I've never tried the buttermilk part, but brining is the surefire way to make chicken moist and flavorful.  Osmosis is your friend, and it can carry lots of moisture and flavor deep into the cellular matrix of chicken parts. 

Offline monster2

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
The ways to mix it up are endless, if you have an immersion blender all the better, garlic, pepper, anchovy paste and lemon zest are great ESP for a Caesar salad, and  chopotle peppers in adobo sauce (from a can) and garlic and chili are good, or lots of Rosemary and garlic which I also do pork lion medallions in.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
I have done the marinade frozen thing before.  It saves time on actual cooking day, but doesn't make it anymore flavorful than if you were just prepare it the day of. 

For chicken though, I prefer to roast or grill skin on chicken (I prefer dark, my DH prefers white.)  I brush the skin with olive oil (after you pat chicken dry) and then flavor.  I use fresh garlic (sometimes garlic powder.)  Or sometimes just salt and pepper. I have also used rosemary.  If you like lemon chicken, just slice some lemons up and put them under the skin of the chicken.  This works for grilling and roasting.  But really, you can just brush on just about any oil/herb combo and cook it this way.  I do NOT cook chicken whole. I use pieces.  1. There are only two of us, a whole chicken is just too much. 2.  If my food looks too much like the original animal I won't eat it. 3.  Pieces cook MUCH faster than a whole chicken. So you can roast chicken thighs/breasts in 30 minutes or less, whereas a whole chicken takes over an hour. 

A trick on grilling chicken (any chicken even without skin). Make sure you pat the chicken dry...no water. Oil does NOT count as water.  When you try to flip the chicken over, if it sticks to the grill, it isn't ready to be flipped.  (this actually goes for sauteeing as well.) 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
I prefer grilling a whole spatchcocked chicken... it takes longer, yes, but there are fewer skin edges, fewer places for grease to drip from and fewer flare-ups and I am more successful in cooking it thoroughly despite the longer cooking time... it does mean when we do a chicken, we eat chicken for days, but that's alright (a hot chicken meal, a cold leftover chicken meal, chicken on pizza or in tacos, chicken sandwiches for lunch or chicken and chorizo in something...)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
I prefer grilling a whole spatchcocked chicken... it takes longer, yes, but there are fewer skin edges, fewer places for grease to drip from and fewer flare-ups and I am more successful in cooking it thoroughly despite the longer cooking time... it does mean when we do a chicken, we eat chicken for days, but that's alright (a hot chicken meal, a cold leftover chicken meal, chicken on pizza or in tacos, chicken sandwiches for lunch or chicken and chorizo in something...)

Same here, butterflying a whole chicken works best for me on the grill.  Most of the time I'm just cooking for me.  But I can eat a lot of chicken at one sitting, and you can use the left overs in so many ways that quantity is never an issue.  In fact, I sometimes grill two just to make sure I have enough for additional meals. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
I am not sure what it is, but for the most part, I do not like leftover chicken.  Thus a whole chicken is not appealing to me.  There are a few things i can do with leftover chicken that doesn't gross me out, but very little.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
my DH feels the same way
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
I am not sure what it is, but for the most part, I do not like leftover chicken.  Thus a whole chicken is not appealing to me.  There are a few things i can do with leftover chicken that doesn't gross me out, but very little.
chicken salad, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings?  No?

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
chicken salad, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings?  No?

I actually do not like any of those things. I do not like mayo, so chicken salad is out (though since I think chicken gets dried out left over, this would be a good option if I liked mayo.)  I do not like creamy things, so potpie is out and not a huge fan of chicken and dumplings.  Though I have made chicken soup with leftover chicken (so close to the chicken and dumplings.)  I am picky.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 04:02:03 AM »
I actually do not like any of those things. I do not like mayo, so chicken salad is out (though since I think chicken gets dried out left over, this would be a good option if I liked mayo.)  I do not like creamy things, so potpie is out and not a huge fan of chicken and dumplings.  Though I have made chicken soup with leftover chicken (so close to the chicken and dumplings.)  I am picky.

My husband doesn't like anything creamy either. Or white. But I guess most white things are creamy.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 05:14:44 AM »
We live on leftover chicken, here. I grill a bunch of breasts on Sundays, a lot of times. The trick is not to overcook them, so they're still moist (and more flavorful). I use any simple marinade, even just Italian dressing.

Then all week I eat leftovers - just heated up with veggies, on top of salad, etc.
This space for rent.

+-SUPPORT US