Author Topic: nutritional yeast  (Read 6021 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
nutritional yeast
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »
So I went to the bulk bins and got a small container, for vitamin B12 reasons.  Now what do i do with it?  Sprinkle it on what???

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: nutritional yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »
and I should add: the taste is nothing to write home about.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
Popcorn! DD likes melted butter and nutritional yeast on her pasta and gnocchi. I make breaded tofu sticks and mix it in with the panko.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
Popcorn! DD likes melted butter and nutritional yeast on her pasta and gnocchi. I make breaded tofu sticks and mix it in with the panko.

The tofu sticks sound like a good idea.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »
I just made this recipe tonight, which uses 3/4 cup nutritional yeast. It was good, but don't expect "cheesiness" no matter what the vegan chef says! (I called it "mac and cheese" and, after eating it, my boyfriend insisted on just calling it "mac". But he had thirds!)

http://lowfatveganchef.com/sneak-peek-recipe-low-fat-vegan-baked-butternut-squash-mac-and-cheese/

My sister also makes this Oven Roasted Tom Tofu, which uses nutritional yeast:
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/holiday/oven-j.html

She decreases the onion powder and garlic powder in the marinade to 1/4 tsp each and says you can substitute 1/2 tsp each of dried oregano and basil for the poultry seasoning, if you don't have that. In the coating mix, she also decreases the onion powder to 1/4 tsp. We have found that they brown up much better on a dark-colored baking sheet than on a light one.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:49:12 AM »
The tofu sticks sound like a good idea.
I cut the tofu block into sticks, dip in a mixture of vegenaise and dijon, then dip in a mixture of panko, a little salt, nutritional yeast and then bake in the oven.

this was one of the first recipes i used nutritional yeast in
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2009/02/pasta-primavera.html
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:50:28 AM »
jessica  :cat: :purr:  :heartbeat:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »
jessica  :cat: :purr:  :heartbeat:

Does Jessica like nutritional yeast?  Thanks, some recipes here are definitely worth a try. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
She has not had it; I should buy some. 

Lately she rushes through her breakfast so she can have extra hugs while I drink my coffee and read some threads before we dress and head out.  This is the result.

I wanted to post this recipe for you, pinned from Meri a while ago.  I haven't tried it yet but looks interesting:

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/instant-vegan-alfredo/
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
She has not had it; I should buy some. 

Lately she rushes through her breakfast so she can have extra hugs while I drink my coffee and read some threads before we dress and head out.  This is the result.

I wanted to post this recipe for you, pinned from Meri a while ago.  I haven't tried it yet but looks interesting:

Thanks.  I think this one will be the first one I try!

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
NY is really strong it can impart a cheesy and deep flavor when used in appropriate amounts - too much and it's disgusting.
dd2 sprinkles it on popcorn.  I use it for roasted brussel sprouts and tofu eggs.  I used it for vegan mac n cheese, the first time it was awesome, but I never duplicated that again.
Other wise I avoid it, it's too easy for to overdo it.

Offline megawill

• Turgid
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
I don't mind it in very small portions or when it is well disguised, i.e., as a replacement for parmesan cheese in pesto....but when it stands out more like in a mac and cheese i find the flavor a little overpowering and not altogether pleasant.  It can also be packed with sodium.  I'm currently watching my sodium intake so I use very little of ny.  I take care of B12 with a sub-lingual supplement twice a week.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »

This recipe is a winner!!  I stirred in some steamed broccoli pieces, walnut pieces, and black olives.  DH was pleasantly surprised.
And, it is ready in 10 min.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
Really?  I have to try it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
she has a 30 minute or under cookbook that i have made a good handful of recipes out of that i do enjoy. Everyday Happy Herbivore?

+-SUPPORT US