Author Topic: Bugs!!  (Read 3847 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Bugs!!
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
I know fruits and veggies come from the ground. I know there are bugs in the ground. But I had more than a couple of bugs in my romaine lettuce (not the bagged kind, the bundle).
So today I bought cilantro and parsley. I always wash them well, but I soaked them in a huge pot of water, took out the bad pieces, rewashed, dried a little and put them in a ziplock with a paper towel. There was so much sand in the bottom of the pot.

Do y'all think I can peel the leaves of romaine, wash and dry them, then put them in a ziplock? I didn't know if peeling them from the stalk would make them wilt quicker.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline mango

• The Runners
Re: Bugs!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
... peel the leaves of romaine, wash and dry them, then put them in a ziplock?

after you wash them, instead of drying them, shake out any excess water, wrap them in paper towels, and then put them in a ziplock.

they will stay fresh much longer.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
after you wash them, instead of drying them, shake out any excess water, wrap them in paper towels, and then put them in a ziplock.

they will stay fresh much longer.

I'll try that. Thanks! It will also make me more inclined to eat the lettuce if its already washed and waiting. :)
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
I do that paper towel trick.

It's so much easier to grab a couple of already-washed and separated leaves than to take the whole thing out, tear off leaves, wash, etc.

Offline Yogi

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
I do the paper towel trick with almost every produce I buy. It's the condensation that builds up in whatever you're storing them in that causing them to wilt early. The paper towels catch the condensation and prevent the wilting for a lot longer. Change the paper towels every three-ish days (it will be damp).

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
I do the paper towel trick with almost every produce I buy. It's the condensation that builds up in whatever you're storing them in that causing them to wilt early. The paper towels catch the condensation and prevent the wilting for a lot longer. Change the paper towels every three-ish days (it will be damp).

Or get those special green produce bags that prevent condensation. They're amazing. And you can reuse them.

+-SUPPORT US